BIONICLE cameos in non-BIONICLE related stuff!

The designer of this set is Nick Vas, a LEGO designer that is also a big Bionicle fan. He is the one behind a most of the Bionicle references in the current LEGO sets.

13 Likes

Also, if you look at the Pohatu tree. The color of the masks looks a lot like the newer reddish brown, instead of the old brown that both Pohatu Mata and Nuva were produced in. This makes me wonder, is this a digital render or a real picture? If it is real, that would probably mean that LEGO still have the molding frames for those pieces. Which makes me very happy in a way, one could hope that they one day would release masks in new colors. Unlikely, but it’s a fun thought.

It really looks more like an actual build than a render, in my opinion.

5 Likes

It is 100% a real build, though I am not so sure on the Reddish Brown masks. It does indeed look like the newer shade of brown, but that might just be because of the lighting in the picture. There is no way they still have those Pohatu masks still in production, they were probably just taken from Nick Vas’ personal collection.

6 Likes

I don’t doubt it for a second. It wouldn’t have made sense for lego to keep only the vorox armor and the gurahk staff so that they could be used in g2, I believe somewhere deep in their storage is the molding frames for every bionicle piece ever made.

2 Likes

Hopefully some of those pieces will see the light of day again…

And once again go into eager arms, itching for G1 pieces to MOC with…

But there’s still Bricklink

2 Likes

It is a real build, all of these inspiration models are. We built a lot of them and Nico picked his favorites to go into the book.
Those pieces are from Nico’s own collection. These molds have been gone for more than 15 years now.

16 Likes

“That seems like a very official answer, who is this guy and how does he know so much?”

*Looks at title next to your name:

“Oh.”

2 Likes

Oh lol, I didn’t know we have a LEGO designer here among us. Good to have you here, Niek!

While we are on the topic, are there any Bionicle parts at all left in production? Maybe some of the late G2/CCBS molds?

5 Likes

5 Likes
4 Likes

I have to wonder why he has so many Kakama Nuva’s, but that’ also really cool (and awesome to have an official comment), so I won’t question it. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Avatar 2 concept art; Pandora looks like Ga-Koro

Compare to:

8 Likes

Yeah one of the characters talks about Solek and the Ignika in detail. Pretty cool.
@VonDoom which comic is that?

2 Likes

X-Force #16 (2021)

3 Likes

Here’s something from a Thor comic.

10 Likes

Who sees Maxilos and Spinax in there?

1 Like

@Brickbot99 @The_Blue_Panda

10 Likes

Mostly Spinax, in the last frame.

2 Likes

Oh uh I uh there was like a 2 minute interchange about BIONICLE between two pretty well known people in the D&D YouTube community on a livestream they did.

1 Like

this one gundam youtuber i watch read out the opening monologue from mask of light