BIONICLE Canon Contest #1: The First, Part 2 (Art)

so we had 130 helryx mocs, im very curious how many illustrations will be submitted

11 Likes

I’d imagine not nearly as many, largely because this is a lego community first. While that results in a lot of artists being involved, there are probably way more mocists.

5 Likes

Here’s to hoping that this contest won’t devolve into…whatever it was that the last contest devolved into.

12 Likes

It’s the end of the beginning. Good luck to everyone, and may the best artwork win (with minimal cheating on the part of memelords, bots, trolls, and butthurt sore losers)!

I can’t wait to see what the artists of this community can cook up to represent the MOC that won the previous leg of this contest.

8 Likes

The logic behind rule #6 escapes me. I appreciate the contribution of 3d modelers to the bionicle community, but is this not supposed to be artwork competition? 3d renders, good as they are, are infinitely closer to moccing than they are to any of the handdrawn medium, traditional or digital.

That, and also I feel like including 3d models might provide an unfair advantage in the context of drawings, as it may end up looking way closer to the actual model than any given drawing, which I imagine would be discouraging for a lot of artist who are on the fence of entering the contest

6 Likes

I’m going to assume this is where I should be posting this.

2 Likes

3d modelling is art. By your logic, anyone sculpting out of clay should be disqualified.

9 Likes

3D art is art. The Bionicle films, which are canon, are in 3D.

That, and also I feel like including 3d models might provide an unfair advantage in the context of drawings, as it may end up looking way closer to the actual model than any given drawing,

Doesn’t really matter. “I won’t enter the contest because someone else’s entry might be better than mine” doesn’t really factor into things.

10 Likes

3d modelling is very much art lol and you can get just as close in a 2d drawing as a 3d render, but making it identical to the moc is as mentioned not the point

6 Likes

It appears I’ve forgotten the connotation of being a 3d modeler, but not a virtual moccist. Thank you for the kind people who corrected me and my sincerest apologies. I retract what I had to say

4 Likes

They would be, though. Only digital 3d art is allowed; at least that’s the last position I saw the cast take. I’m not sure why, though.

1 Like

It’s my time!

I’m beyond excited, and I really can’t wait to see what other people come up with! Good luck, and have fun, everyone!

10 Likes

Hopefully this does not go on to further show we live in a society.

4 Likes

Just gonna repost this here in case anyone’s looking for inspiration for the design of Helryx’s (or anyone else’s) mask.

4 Likes

Good luck to everyone who enter!

1 Like

Some quick questions:

• If I provide more than the minimum 2 requested images, will they all be canonized? Or only the main 2, in which case I should indicate which two those are? The phrasing “minimum” infers that more than two images are allowed in an entry, but whether or not they would be canon is unclear.

• Is text allowed in the image? Can I submit both a text/no text version? (I’m not talking about text to “explain” an entry or such - it would be part of the artwork.)

• Are we allowed to depict other Bionicle characters in the artwork, so long as they already have established canon appearances that we’re not stepping on? (Say, Takanuva, for example). What about just an object (like a kanohi, or a toa stone?)

• Are there any limits as to what qualifies as 2D art? If (extreme example) someone literally traces an image of the MoC photo, but replaces the pakari with their own design, does that still count?

Thanks for your time. :wink:

4 Likes

Here is my submission for the art contest. It’s a MNOG-styled, texture-layered approach. (Sorry for the multiple deleted posts - I’m on the subreddit but first time trying to use TTV)

6 Likes

This may be a stupid question but can the mask have multiple colours or does it have to be one colour like most official masks?

3 Likes

My submission can be viewed here.

It’s a high resolution comic styled rendition of Helryx, with the mask based on KhingK’s design (with permission).
Good luck to everyone!

8 Likes

Are we allowed to share mask concepts in a sort of brainstorm session?

3 Likes