BIONICLE Canon Contest #1: The First, Part 2 (Art)

My submission can be viewed here.

It’s a high resolution comic styled rendition of Helryx, with the mask based on KhingK’s design (with permission).
Good luck to everyone!

8 Likes

Are we allowed to share mask concepts in a sort of brainstorm session?

3 Likes

No. You can include more, but only the mask design and your final image will be sent for canonization.

Both versions would be swell.

Mostly if their background characters. The main issue I have with saying “Heck yeah, go for it” is if they become to much of a focus. The point is for Helryx. So you can, but it’s really gonna depend on how heavily they’re a part of the image.

I’ll quote this portion of the rules here:

Multiple colors are fine.

Absolutely.

6 Likes

My work is done!

5 Likes

Here is my submission.
It’s an illustrated drawing of Toa Helryx with a mask inspired by tribal designs.

6 Likes

My entry for the contest. Hope you like this interpretation

14 Likes

here is my entry :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Are we allowed to use designs of brick-built masks used in the first part of the contest?

That’d be up to the designers.

3 Likes

I didn’t reply to this topic when it came out four days ago, but I’ll give my reply now:

tmp

I am overjoyed that this MOC, which was made out of artistic choice, won! :smiley: :+1:

Thanks for the ride you gave us by doing this contest, TTV;- the first half of it has been a blast! :+1:

I’m looking forward to seeing which piece of art wins the second half (and voting for my favorites, of course :slightly_smiling_face:)!:+1:

Wow… That’s really neat! :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:
Well done!
I like how you incorporated the background, using the beach (indicative of the Mata/Nuva), and the somewhat stormy looking skies (implying that this is a Toa-Hero not to be crossed).

Wow…
Amazing job making it look true to the comics! :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:
(One question, though: Is that a dead Onu-Matoran at her feet?)

Please do not Triple Post. ~Hawkeye

3 Likes

Hey, I just wanted to say that I think we should have multiple winners for this Art portion, like how the Certavus Contest had 3 Art winners (I think 3 total winners is a good number personally). There were multiple depictions of some characters by different artists during G1’s run, I think showing some variety in that way would be good to replicate here :slight_smile:

EDIT response to LeslieShoemaker

Yeah, differing mask designs is definitely a serious issue. Ideally the mask designs should all match, but perhaps there could be a note like “Helryx is depicted in this artwork with a non-canon Kanohi” or something, and the body design would still be the same. It just feels a shame otherwise really.

4 Likes

It could cause problems, since the goal of this contest is to make the mask that belongs to Helryx. If the 1st and 2nd have different masks, the second one can’t be a winner.

6 Likes

Perhaps a single “grand prize winner” and a few “runners up”, or whatever the term is?

Could work better for those whose masks we know, like nidhiki or Varian.

3 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Thanks, this is Pakari from original MOC)

2 Likes

Hello there. Here’s my submitted entry, fresh off the virtual press.

If there’s any issues I’ll see to have them resolved within the next 24 hours =)

Good luck out there everyone! =D

–Akaku: Master of Flight

4 Likes

I still think that not having a seperate mask contest beforehand was a mistake, and one I hope is rectified in future contests.

3 Likes

Is it really necessary? Different masks go together with different body designs.
I’d say, art contest is enough for determining the appearance even without the MOC stage.

7 Likes

I think the reason they are combining it is to cut down on the amount of contests, time it takes, workload etc because having 3 separate contests is a lot time, work, moderation and it can clutter things up so its just easier to combine some rather than have them separate also I feel like the two kinda tie into each other.

7 Likes

Let’s consider also contests like Marendar and Lariska won’t have a Kanohi to depict, so having everyone get a two part contest streamlines everything.

4 Likes