BIONICLE Canon Contest #1 - The First, Part 2: Mask of Psychometry by Podhakkin

My submission for Helryx’s mask. My design is inspired by the Protoss from StarCraft. I imagine the crown piece as being a sort of radar dish for receiving and transmitting psychic energies.

The side view was very difficult to draw, so may not entirely make physical sense. In such cases the front view takes priority.

47 Likes

You don’t like drawing feet, do you

Yeah I just got pretty tired by that point and figured they’d be cut off anyway. I should probably fix that.

@AlexanderTG She now has feet. I’m sure she’s grateful for this xD

Edited for Double Post- prentice1215

It’s much better now. I like the colors but they don’t seem to fit with “scarred from a thousand battles” and all that.

1 Like

Happy to see she has feet :laughing:
In all seriousness though, this is one of the best masks I’ve seen yet. Love the protoss inspiration, plus it kinda looks like an african tribal mask. :+1:

Sub Par Faux Pas did an excellent design based on African tribal masks. He’s only posted on the subreddit Discord so far but keep an eye out for him.

@AlexanderTG I get that, but I was trying to stay as accurate to the model as possible.

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POSTING - Spiderus Prime

1 Like

I like the chunkier proportions.
also it looks a bit like something you would see in an old game manual or something like that

2 Likes

Nice inspiration for the Kanohi! That’s an interesting interpretation; I’m loving all the different motifs that people have invoked for this mask.
If there’s one thing that I have to say your drawing does, it’s that it improves massively on the original. I loved the MOC (I voted for it and everything!), but the dark blue coloration combined with the entire color scheme consisting of dark blue and black meant that the MOC felt incredibly heavy and dark. Going with a lighter blue really helps to make the design feel a little bit more natural and, despite still consisting of only two colors, helps to ease the color scheme on the eyes.

Hey Kep nice to see you! Thanks very much for the feedback!

1 Like

I really like that mask design

1 Like

This is a very good job. You did a great job on the color

It feels more like a big Turaga than a Toa to me. I do like the mask design, though.