BIONICLE Canon Contest #1: The First

It’s time for the first. The first contest, on the first day on June, for the first Toa.

Your quest, should you choose to accept it, is to create the Helryx, the first Toa created by the Great Beings.

Her appearance has been described a few times, most notably by these two quotes:

“She was not Makuta, but she was indescribably ancient and disturbingly frail in appearance. Her mask and armor were pitted and scarred from a thousand battles. She looked like a Toa, but her armor and mask design didn’t resemble anything Takanuva had ever seen before.”
— Narrator, Swamp of Secrets

“Iruini turned. Standing on the bow of the ship was a Toa of Water he did not recognize, carrying a spiked mace and a shield.”
— Narrator, Dwellers in Darkness chapter 2

Based on this, your entry should:

-Be blue
-Be frail/thin
-Have armor that would be unfamiliar to Takanuva
-Wield a mace and a shield.

And that’s it. As for the mask, let’s discuss that briefly.

This contest will run for three (3) weeks, starting today - June 1st, 2020 - and ending June 22nd, 11:59 PM EDT. During this time, you will need to create your MOC (following the rules listed below) and submit it to this topic here. At that point, you’re good to go! After the entry period has ended, we will create any necessary amount of polls to run for a currently unknown amount of time (no more than two weeks) until a winner is decided. At that point, the second half of this contest will begin to design the Kanohi mask she wears and to create artwork to be canonized with the MOC.

That should be about everything. Please read over all the rules to make sure your creation is good to be entered.

RULES:

1. Entrants must be 13 years old or older.
1a. Entries may not be entered on behalf of someone younger than 13.

2. All entrants must abide by TTV Message Board rules and guidelines.
2a. If you are permanently banned during the course of the contest, your entry will be disqualified. Suspensions will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
2b. Any member found to have a duplicate account will be permanently banned.
2c. Entries must be submitted on behalf of the entry creator themselves. They may not be submitted on behalf of another person.

3. In order to enter, a new topic must be made for the creation with (Contest name) in the title. That topic must then be linked in a post in this topic.
3a. For any of these contests (with the exception of the Toa Hagah contest), only one entry may be entered per person.
3b. Winners of prior contests are allowed to enter additional contests.

4. A minimum of four (4) photos must be provided. Front, Side, Back, and an action pose.
4a. In addition to the 4 photos, you must provided a minimum of three (3) breakdown photos of the MOC.
4b. Photos can be hosted on Imgur, Flickr, Brickshelf, or uploaded to the MB.
4c. Your creation may not feature any contemporary war weapons. (I.e Tanks, fully automatic firearms, etc)

5. We encourage your entry to be recognizably within the BIONICLE world. Part of that involves the use of Constraction, however unlike past contests we will not enforce a ratio.
5a. Constraction includes BIONICLE (G1 and G2), Hero Factory, Galidor, Knights Kingdom II large figure pieces, Ben 10 large figure pieces, and all CCBS.

6. 3D printed pieces are allowed.
6a. 3D printed pieces are limited to masks and weapons, for a total allowance of four (4) 3D printed pieces.
6b. Only one (1) of the four (4) 3D printed pieces can be a mask.
6c. For any custom piece used, it must have one (1) point of compatibility with official LEGO pieces.
6d. At this time, the only 3D modelers who have expressly allowed the usage of their pieces are KingSidorak, Galva_, GX_05, KhingK, Vahki6 (for him, check this post), D-S-Creation-Forge.
6e. If an entry utilizes pieces from the aforementioned 3D modelers, they’ll need to provide a link to the free source for the piece. If one does not exist, the piece may not be used.
6f. If an entrant enters with a 3D piece they made themselves, they must provide a link to the 3D model file for free at the time of entry. If no link is included at the time of entry, and not included for three (3) days afterwards, the entry will be disqualified.
6g. By entering a 3D printed piece of their own creation, the entrant agrees that it will be freely available under a creative commons license for all time.

7. MOCs created in LDD and Stud.io are allowed, however they must abide by the same guidelines as physical MOCs in regards to 3D printed and custom models.
7a. Additionally, the LDD/Stud.io file for these creations must be posted along with the MOC, in similar fashion to custom pieces made by the entrant.

8. Rules on non-purism:
8a. Cut pieces and cut stickers are not allowed.
8b. Glued pieces and glued stickers are not allowed.
8c. Non-LEGO cloth, rubberbands, stickers, and strings are not allowed.
8d. Third-party or bootleg pieces not identical in mold to LEGO pieces (I.e: MegaBLOKS, bootleg constraction pieces) are not allowed.
8e. Painted and dyed pieces are allowed, however only monotone paint jobs are allowed. (I.e: A mask can not be painted/dyed with two colors)
8f. Replicas of the above will fall under their category of replication. (I.e: If a resin mold is made of a cut-and-glued mask, it will be considered a cut-and-glued mask and will not be permitted for use in an entry.)
8g. Pieces that only exist in printed varieties that have had the printing removed or have been painted are not allowed. However, if the pieces are not unique and have been released non-printed in other colors, they may have the printing removed or may be painted over.
8h. Illegal connections are allowed, however we encourage individuals to not use those that will damage pieces in long or short term.

9. MOCs/Artwork created before this contest can be submitted, provided they abide by these rules/guidelines. However, the creations must be entered by the creator of said MOC/Art.
9a. To expand on the last sentence, entries must be entered by the creator themselves. Any MOC entered on behalf of another person, new or otherwise, will be disqualified until submitted by the creator them self.

10. We encourage MOCs representing canister-sized figures to attempt to adhere to the standard canister set size as of 2009, which would be 9 inches, or 22.9 centimeters. To stress, this is a guideline, it is not a rule. You can make your entry however tall you want it to be.

The entry period begins today, June 1st,, and will end June 22nd, 11:59 PM EDT. If you have any questions or concerns, please direct them over to this topic for follow up.

So get to it! Make the Great Beings proud! And most important of all, remember to have fun!

29 Likes

here’s mine

12 Likes

Helryx, first of the Toa:

9 Likes

Are we not using these Greg quotes as additional descriptions of her appearance? Since the contests have already been relying on Greg quotes for Artakha and Lariska, would it be best to add these reference sources?

1. I see it as she’s been through a lot.](Official Greg Dialogue | Page 295)
  1. Probably something close to a Mata build](Official Greg Dialogue | Page 254)

EDIT: I personally imagine Helryx with Mata feet, at least one Mata hand, and a build that vaguely resembles Krakua. Especially both were Toa that Takanuva didn’t recognize in appearance. Regardless, I look forward to building whichever entry wins!

13 Likes
7 Likes

My entry is here: Helryx Leader of the Order of Mata Nui [Contest Entry The First]

Imgur

6 Likes

My entry. If I made any mistakes please let me know. In case anyone is curious, the UDD bead on the mace is from a LEGO-produced pen.

9 Likes

We can not accept this. It has to be a separate topic that you link to here. Additionally, you are below the minimum amount of required images.

1 Like

i dont know any other way to post this

Go to the LEGO Creations sub-forum, and you should see a white plus in a blue circle in the lower right hand corner. That will allow you to post a topic.

1 Like

here is my entry in its own forum like requested hope it can be accepted now toa helryx (BIONICLE canon contest #1: the first)

4 Likes

Here is my, admittedly not awardworthy, approach to the character’s appearence.

5 Likes

More comparisons of Helryx and the Mata.
Official Greg Dialogue | Page 123

1. Since Helryx was created in a similar way like the Toa Mata/Nuva does her armor ressemble theirs?
    5) Not necessarily, no

Chat with Greg Farshtey | Page 353
Chat with Greg Farshtey | Page 353
3: Other than just the fact the sets had changed a lot in design and the like, was there any reason in particular that the Toa Mata looked so different from pretty much any toa team that came after?
3) Prototypes usually look different from what follows. The Mata were among the first Toa created.
Does that mean that Helryx’s body is similar to a body of a Toa Mata?
Or she could have looked somewhat different, since as the first Toa, she was an even earlier prototype than the Mata were.

The armor of Toa Mata would also be something Takanuva would recognize, which would contridict Swamp of Secrets.
Additional quotes:

Official Greg Dialogue | Page 113

1. If Krakua was a matoran, what did he believe Toa to look like when he transformed? Helryx? (From a storyline perspective)
    1) No, whatever Toa he met as a Matoran. He never met Helryx

“If Tahu expected the ruler of this land to be some massive, heavily-armored warrior who could snap a Toa in two with no effort, he was to be disappointed. The figure that awaited them was a Toa, although one whose armor looked quite different from theirs. Even more surprising, that armor was blue – like Gali, she was a Toa of Water.”
— Narrator, BIONICLE Legends 10: Swamp of Secrets, Interlude 3, p. 75

I wouldn’t necessairily say frail = thin; it’s a description very much up to interpretation.

12 Likes

Here’s my entry:

11 Likes

Here’s my entry Toa Helryx, Toa of Water (BIONICLE Canon Contest #1: The First)

4 Likes

Here we go.

4 Likes

My entry for the contest Helryx, Toa of Water and Leader of the Order of Mata Nui. My submission for (BIONICLE Canon Contest #1: The First)

Do enjoy my submission, and good luck to all!

5 Likes

This is my entry for the contest. May the Great Spirit be with you all! Hope you like my submission too.

9 Likes

Contest Entry

Here is my entry. I’m still getting used to the TTV Message Board format, so forgive me. I am hoping I have submitted this correctly.

4 Likes

Here is my entry Toa Helryx (The First) .

5 Likes