BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker

how do i vote for a moc.

The voting period hasn’t started yet. Right now is the submission period. When that’s over, a poll will be put up.

2 Likes

You will however need to meet these requirements to be able to vote once the polls go up:

The details of the voting system will be explained with the polls as usualy, I’d assume.

3 Likes

Could the guidelines maybe clarify that the hammer Artakha was seen using was from his forge, and not designed as a weapon/warhammer?

3 Likes

Artakha did use a warhammer in his forge though, for whatever reason. It would be nice if it was brought up but I don’t really see the issue.

2 Likes

Here go, boys.

Not the best photos, but it’s the MOC that counts.

1 Like

This definitely should have been considered, but I think it’s a little late to change it now.

But if it’s not too late, this should definitely be clarified.

I’m no metalworking expert, but I’m pretty sure blacksmiths don’t use 6’ hammers.

3 Likes

We link directly to where it is clarified it is a hammer from his forge.

2 Likes

Listen man its a world where biomechanics beings channel elemental energy and have emotion, but not romance. It doesn’t have to realistic :laughing:

2 Likes

hey so first time entering a contest on here and have a couple quick questions:

1. how would i post my entry when the time comes? just make a new thread or is there anything else?
  2. given that sand green is the most accurate possible color (and given that, the color i’m going to be using), how heavily system is allowed as long as it’s still identifiable as bionicle?
  3. is a tertiary color allowed? ie green, gray, and gold (green armor with gold accents)?

All of these questions are answered in the rules posted at the beginning of this topic.

1 Like

With regards to the warhammer thing, a lot of people are kinda assuming that warhammers are massive… which they aren’t. Your idea of a warhammer is probably more akin to another weapon, the maul.

Warhammers are one-handed weapons, which would be used in conjunction with a shield or a buckler. Like maces, they were a common choice for knights after armour became too thick and sturdy for swords to work against them. They also tend to be sharpened, which makes them look a bit more like a big, heavy warpick.

Bionicle does have a preference for oversized weapons, and those oversized weapons being used one-handed. Lhikan’s swords, anyone? So I’m not saying that anyone making something more akin to a maul for their Artakha is wrong, but in terms of what warhammers are actually like, using one in a forge isn’t quite as ridiculous as it sounds.

11 Likes

Most BIONICLE weapons operate under “rule of cool” rather than any real-world practicality. How are Brutaka’s swords supposed to work? Is a sword blade no longer effective if it’s shaped like fire? How does Mata Nui defend himself when his shield has massive gaps in them?

People wielding impractically oversized weapons is also common in other fantasy media. Cloud’s buster sword, anyone?

9 Likes

But I think the problem here is that his hammer isn’t a weapon. It’s a tool from his forge.

2 Likes

My thoughts on this - the hammer really isn’t described…well at all in the canon. It’s just stated he grabbed a hammer in his forge that he took as a war hammer. This, to me, leaves it open for interpretation as to it’s look. Additionally, as has been stated, BIONICLE weapons (which pretty much are all called tools half the time anyways) and tools don’t really adhere necessarily to the conventions of items in our world. A forge hammer might be massive. It might be tiny. If it had more descriptors, It’d be grand and would narrow it down more. But it doesn’t :/. On the flipside, from a creation standpoint, it lets people be more creative on that area of the MOC - Some will be giant and complex, some smaller and more muted. Nice with a contest that does have a decent number of restrictions as is!

I̶’̶m̶ ̶e̶a̶g̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶A̶r̶t̶a̶k̶h̶a̶ ̶w̶iel̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶w̶a̶’̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶m̶m̶e̶r̶ ̶X̶D̶

-Solaris Magnus

4 Likes

Now I’m picturing Artakha holding a minifig hammer between his fingers. XD

3 Likes

Fair enough.

YES! a victory for my fellow weapon-nerd!

creative interpretation people chill with everything having to be so m e t i c u l o u s l y defined.
2 Likes

@Eljay
Obviously, the final shape of the Mask of Creation will not be defined until the Art Contest.

But what about the final colour? Can the artist recolour the mask, or must they keep the same mask colour as the MOC?

Because I want a gold Mask of Creation, so should I vote for MOCs with gold masks, or just vote for whichever MOC, and wait for an artist to recolour the mask gold?

Also on the topic of the Mask, this quote sticks out to me:

“The metallic protodermis from which it was forged was arranged in intricate patterns and designs, each reflecting one of the many cultures that flourished in the universe.”

What does this mean? Does it have a Skakdi grin carved into it, or perhaps a Xian headdress? Maybe the symbol of the Three Virtues?

Or course, there is no right or wrong answer. Just something to consider.

2 Likes

My Arthaka!

1 Like