BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker

Nuff’ said.

Either way, a hammer is a hammer. Any tool can be a weapon. In fact, a lot of weapons originated from farming tools with little alterations.

Stop.

You don’t need to be here if you don’t want to.

1 Like

Has the rule regarding the use of only one shade of green changed? I’ve noticed that one of the accepted entries uses two shades, so I’m curious if such MOCs are now being allowed?
(Not trying to rat anyone out or anything)

1 Like

2 Shades is OK if the MOC is using Sand Green naturally. If not, only one shade.

-Solaris Magnus

1 Like

Epique

Just a reminder that the Mask of Creation is canonically not gold, as far as Greg is “aware”.

I’m assuming the artists will be free to use whatever shape and colour mask they like in their art, since the MOC’s mask is essentially just a placeholder.

Still, it would be nice for that Greg quote to be in the Artakha description in the rules - it’s easily missed info (not on BS01) that may affect how people choose the colour scheme of their whole MOC.

2 Likes

Here is my entry! Super Excited

1 Like

In theory the mask should be gold, as that’s the colour that the Legendary Masks are. Yes, the Ignika turns silver and then black when it’s in Kill Everything mode, and the Vahi rusted, but their default state is gold.

2 Likes

It’s not like the Vahi and Ignika are the same gold either…

Edit: Hence why I feel copper would be a good colour - it’s already an existing “special” mask colour and is close to the Vahi and Ignika original colours without weirdly matching one rather than the other.

4 Likes

To be honest, I am interpreting that Greg quote to be an intentionally noncommittal answer. Just because someone is not aware of something does not mean it isn’t true.

At the time of that quote, he had no proof that the mask was gold.

But he also had no proof that it wasn’t.

4 Likes

Except this contest affects you even if you don’t want it to, because it alters the official canon, which goes beyond these contests. The contests do not exist in a vacuum. As such, ignoring these contests means more than well, ignoring these contests. It means ignoring the canon, which to some is fine. To others, not. Neither are bad takes.

Actually something I’ve been finding kind of frustrating is people saying the rules should be less strict also often being the same people who say you should just disregard the contests if you don’t like it, which goes against the point of the contests. They’re meant as canon contests, if anything, they should be primarily aimed at adhering to the canon, not satisfying those who’d easily push it aside for their headcanons. It is those that so easily disregard the canon that would also be those to disregard the contests anyway? Gearing a canon contest towards fitting people’s headcanons would be like Mojang taking feedback in the development of Minecraft from people who do not play Minecraft.

@TheJerminator That’s how I read it too. Just stating it’s not necessairly gold, which is why I didn’t put it on BS01.

5 Likes

@Eljay
Not everybody clicks the link. A single sentence in the description would be nice. I see too many entries making unnecessarily large or long hammers.
I myself have been stressing this poin tabout the hammer numerous times, but this small clarification would have a global reach.

1 Like

Well, their loss.

TTV isn’t writing the contest rules/context for the characters as a recommendation. If you care to enter these contests, you’re expected to care enough.

4 Likes

Again, I’ll echo the sentiment - The hammer has no canon descriptor other that it being a “forge hammer”. In a universe like the MU, it could be small, or it could be massive. There’s no guideline for it, and so its up to interpretation. The contest already has alot of restrictions as is, the creativity in the hammer is fun!

And @Ghid, Agreed. If people are interested in the contest, they should be reading the rules before posting and should care to check them over.

-Solaris Magnus

2 Likes

All of this is true and I myself have been expressing the same thoughts. What I am saying here is not a desire for any kind of restriction, just a more readily available part of an already existing (the only) description.

Ah I see, makes sense. I can see Eljay’s point on technically having the link there, but having a descriptor would also help!

As an aside - glad to see these discussions this time around. I think for the next contest, having the ruleset posted in advance of the contest, and having these discussions will really help them run smoother!

-Solaris Magnus

Mhmm.
Being told “Alright you’ve had 3+ weeks to build. Now these are the rules. You have 2 weeks to adjust to them (which could possibly require Bricklink to be). Also they may change within those 2 weeks,” isn’t really the best.

Yes that is what I meant.
The link is there, but people might assume it is just a source backing up the fact that Artakha has a hammer (which it is). In this case however, the link has an additional information.
And yes it is true that the point about the crafting tool is on BS01 and entrants should do their research but obviously it is not always the case.

Another week was added yesterday, so it is 3 weeks now.

For Artakha yes, but I mean for future contests as well.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

If clicking a link is too much effort, then chances are creating the model you feel fits best for the character is too.

Part of participating in these contests means doing research. If you aren’t trying to create the design you feel fits best for the character, then there isn’t much more I can do to help you.

10 Likes

Well I cannot disagree there. It is just unfortunate.