BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker

I won’t be entering the MOC portion of this contest, personally, as my titan-building skills are terrible–but I may very well enter the art portion, if I can figure out a way to digitally color that doesn’t bore me to tears halfway through the process…

I look forward to everyone’s entries!

I want the headcanon discussion over as much as everyone else, so this’ my last.

You can perfectly understand the canon, while being happy with your own alternative. If I think a character is the other gender, per say, I can understand other people don’t and be fine with it while having my own different take

Like with all of these contests except the Hagah, the mask will be designed later by someone else in the art contest, so I’d say do whatever’s easiest/most fun for you. If you really want to make a custom head, go for it, but if you feel like it’ll be too much work, then don’t worry about it. It only matters to you, and has little impact on the entry.

1 Like

But didn’t he make the staff?

I mean, I know we’re only making his canon appearance and not the staff.
so i guess this rule makes a bit of sense.

One thing I’m not to happy about is the “single shade of green” rule. I was planning to mix olive green and sand green together to give Artakha a worn and ancient appearance, but it looks like I’ll just have to choose one or the other now.

5 Likes

This is treading into ‘off-topic territory’, so this will hopefully be my last message on the subject. Suffice it to say, it’s a generalisation to assume this. There will always be people who have put stock in their ‘unofficial additions’ to canon and will be disheartened if those additions are challenged years or even a decade after they were made. This isn’t me arguing against the contests. I just want to make sure the stance of such people (including myself to some extent) aren’t discredited or misinterpreted. Not everyone will be able to reconcile the disparity between their headcanon and the new canon additions without feeling defeated or disheartened.

1 Like

As an artist who plans to contribute to the art portion and a MOCer, I don’t think’d be that hard to allow multiple greens. I completely understand the idea to not allow multiple greens though.

I want to address this, but I feel it’s more relevant to the general Canon Contest topic than this one, so I’ll be going over there again.

1 Like

That would only give all the contest saboteurs the tool they need to use problems they have created as a leverage to end the contests.

That would defeat the purpose of these contests (canonization contests).

Words of wisdom :+1:

4 Likes

Alright guys, please move any conversations unrelated to this specific contest to another topic. We have a general topic for discussions of the contests as a whole. Thank you.

7 Likes

This one’ll be fun. I’m especially looking forward to seeing MOCs with sand green and gunmetal color schemes. I should probably get cracking on Tuyet tho :neutral_face:

1 Like

I’m also definitely not in favor of this one setting a fixed quota.

1 Like

Can’t we just canonize Ekimu as Arthaka? He’s a perfect fit.

1 Like

I can’t deny that I’m really surprised by the inclusion of the single shade of green rule. That is something I didn’t expect at all. Why does this rule exist? The only reason behind the decision I can imagine is an aesthetic preference but that goes against the creative freedom that you want to encourage so much.
And I don’t think the canon appearance or lore is a valid reason because when you describe Lewa Mata, Lehvak, Ehlek, Gresh an so on, they are usually vaguely described as the green characters or figures in the group, that’s it. It’s weird to be so specific as to say “various shades of green” or something like that.

2 Likes

Well I mean, for one he’s blue, for two he’s pure CCBS, not a very intriguing build, for three this is just more fun I s’pose

1 Like

I agree completely, its a really strange rule. i already had a MOC that i was really happy with and cant enter specifically because of that rule and likely the “60 percent green” rule. I don’t have a lot of green parts to begin with and was really hoping to not have to buy new parts for this contest. the rules seem way more constrictive this time around.

5 Likes

Pewku, Graalok, Gahdok, Roodaka, Gorast, Johmak, would like to have a word with you.

@Eljay does the mask have to match the shade of green we use?
Sand green, brick green, etc., can be difficult to replicate with paints. Is it fine if the mask doesn’t exactly match the color of the rest of the moc?

(I also recognize that the mask could just be grey or something, but I’d rather it be green)

And… This might be an odd question, but is it fine if all the green parts are painted, so long as they’re painted the same colour of green?

1 Like

Those are characters, not Toa elements. He’s referring to water, lightning and psionics. (Additionally ironically enough Plantlife was originally going to be female, and features blue.)

Anyways, on topic -
The 60% minimum rule feels far too high and kind of unfair towards those who already constructed their MOCs, especially given how short this entry period is. I get what the aim here is, with ‘majority of the armor’ being sand green. Why would he be pointed out as sand green if it was an accent color? But Idk, I think it should be lowered, to maybe 50 if not 40.

If it has any meaning; Avak was referred to as the tan Piraka, I believe?

4 Likes

The rules allow it, but I don’t think many people have the desire to do it with so many pieces or have the time to collect them, especially when they only allow one shade of green.

I assumed he was talking about lariska being teal (since he said it was ‘unfitting’)
But, reading his post again, I might have misinterpreted it.

Why not just make it so that the moc can be any colour, primarily one of course, and then the artwork changes it to sand green for the official ilustration, that way is not as restrictive.

2 Likes