BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker

u wot m8

Since when has Bionicle had realistic firearms?

I think he’s referring to the Xian weapons contest.

Not sure what you’re referring to here. Lightstone rifles? Those aren’t that generic at all?

Perhaps. And we’ll wait and see for what they do for the rules once the art contest comes up, however I think the point has been made at this point so if it wasn’t already, it will likely be considered. They will certainly make sure it adheres to the description from RoS, I wouldn’t be too worried there.

2 Likes

Those aren’t really ‘realistic’ at all.

I found another thing about the G2 mask, If the community agrees that it is the G1 version after the Art contest, then the moc that wins will have to redesign the neck and joint for the head piece, make it a little big longer on the neck ruining maybe in someway the construction of the build, depending on who wins.

Also, If it wins, then maybe a simple solution can be make G2 mask of creation 3D printed but with an axle instead of the other kind of connection.

1 Like

That’s the beauty of making the art what’s canon. You’re not canonizing the physical piece/model, just the artistic design.

3 Likes

Simple.

This is the G2 mask of fire. It was made after Bionicle G1 ended and is a Bionicle-specific piece; it is not a G1 design.

32505|nullxnull

This is the G1 Kanohi Hau, Great Mask of Shielding. It was made at the beginning of Bionicle G1 and is a Bionicle-specific piece; it is a G1 design.

There. That’s should explain it for you. It shouldn’t be considered as much as a Hero Factory helmet shouldn’t be considered.

Can you enter a model with it? sure. But while many fans are “fine” with having that as the definitive mask, I’m sure many more would prefer a different one if given the opportunity.

3 Likes

That’s the point of the voting.

And why shouldn’t a Hero Factory helmet be considered? Those are Lego pieces as well. And there isn’t even a requirement that the mask needs to be a Lego piece.

You could say that the Hero Factory helmets have a different aesthetic, but you could also say that about basically every mask that was submitted in the Helryx Art Contest.

The voting is here to iron out these problems. I don’t think any limitations should be put on what parts can or cannot be canonized as Kanohi.

1 Like

You’re misinterpreting me. Hehe_Hoho claimed it was fine for the G2 mask to be accepted as the standard G1 mask and will likely push for it in the contest; this produces severe continuity and canon issues which most artists would avoid by removing the Okotan text across the front of the mask.

I’ve dodged saying it directly because I know the response will be “but it’s just some engravings, they don’t matter” or as was already said “we can pretend they’re something else”. Well for the folks at Biosector, that’s a no go. The text on the mask is Okotan, and no amount of pretending will change what’s already there.

My statement about the Hero Factory masks is that they, just like G2 mask designs, are not G1 canon and should not be treated as such without first going through the contest.

3 Likes

I know what’s from original and what’s from reboot. What’s so different between these masks’ designs? Curved and angular? There are plenty of angular masks in original.

Generic doesn’t mean realistic.

Inika’s launchers were original. Rifles with butt and grips are generic as hell. There was also a typical pew-pew laser blaster there.

1 Like

But they’re not generic either. I’d say a gold and green laser gun that shoots glowing rocks out of it is anything but generic.

1 Like

Point of origin. One exists in G1’s timeline and the other in G2’s. They cannot be interchanged with zero ramifications canonically in spite of how similar they look.

I don’t remember seeing in this contest someone using a Hero factory helmet actually, I mean, there is not a rule against it, at the end of the contest will matter just the moc that wins and then the art mask created that fits the winner moc. But calling a helmet like a mask that’s something to debate.

Something I have learned about not using the G2 mask or a 3D printed piece for the mask of creation is that people get to know what mask belongs mostly to one character and stays with that, may seem awkard, maybe using a helmet from hero factory have the same results or not.

This is getting violently off topic so I’ll attempt to redirect.

Are there any other 3d modeled G1 masks of creation in existence other than KhingK’s? It’s definitely the popular choice, but I’m beginning to think there aren’t any others.

Obviously the Hero Factory and G2 masks would have to go through the contest to be considered canon. That’s a given.

But I see what you mean about the runes.

Also:

Galva has one.

2 Likes

I found one, actually was the first model that came on Shapeways, made by Onuku, I got that mask but the author didn’t give the permission to use it in the contest so, KnighK’s with the other mask, G2, are the only two options people feel more for the moc to have.

2 Likes

Ooh, that’s quite good too.

Obviously I still prefer Khing’s to it, but it’s a close competitor.

1 Like

Oh ye, I forgot about this one, it suprise me that no one has used it until now.

It doesn’t matter what it shoots, it’s just a gun. With a butt and a grip.

And except the carvings, those are? There is still nothing unmatching the description in the mask itself. Btw we are the ones who create canon now.

@Ghid @JoeCo

All of these masks are really good, but they are all kind of similar, and they all also take cues from the G2 mask, with the crown/horns.

I want to see someone come up with something completely out of left field.

Just look at this quote:

“The metallic protodermis from which it was forged was arranged in intricate patterns and designs, each reflecting one of the many cultures that flourished in the universe. The eye slits were angular and pointed, giving him an air of both wisdom and a vague sense of menace.”

All three of these masks do a good job of portraying the intricate designs and angular eye slits. Even the G2 mask matches these descriptions.

But they all seem to fall short of “reflecting … the many cultures that flourished in the universe.”

What that means is of course up to interpretation, but I don’t think it is quite covered by just including some Matoran writing. That represents Matoran culture, but not much else.

Other cultures/species have very striking visual traits that could be included in the mask, such as Vortixx headdresses, or the grins of the Skakdi. Of course, the symbol of the Three Virtues would also be a good inclusion, since it represents the purpose of the entire universe.

3 Likes