BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2 (Art) + Part 1 Winners

Please no, that’s Rahaga Pouks staff. I oppose of using any of the Rahaga staffs as Toa Hagah spear.

10 Likes

fair enough, I didn’t think of that

You mean order it online or something? Because I think that would be just as expensive all things considered. Although it may also depend on your location.

I think he meant that if you have a printer. But there is a model by King Sidorak that should be better for printing.

1 Like

As things stands, we do have this rule for art:

However, it is worth noting that in this case, the entry photo notably obscures the thigh armor entirely. So in this instance, we’re of the opinion that some artistic freedom in this department is allowable. That said, it would be weighed with other changes that may skirt the rule, if any exist. So discretion will be applied.

Either/or.

12 Likes

Ooo. I quite like that Gunmetal variant of Kualus. Is the spearhead available in all those colors?

@Takutanuva This is an absolutely useful technique even outside the two Toa

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

5 Likes

Unfortunately, no. I believe its only available in metal or mata blue.

The spearhead and mask would be the only parts you’d need to have painted/printed/cast in either gold or silver. For the gunmetal variant, you’d have to additionally recolour the shield, a rhotuka, and the shoulder and thigh armour pieces too (same total amount of parts requiring recolouring as the original metal blue version)

4 Likes

Could @Kodiak allow/deny the changing of Pouks’ thigh armor?

I’m a-okay with that but I don’t think my approval is needed?

I’m open to Kualus having grey armor but I don’t get why some people are so adamant about him having grey instead of blue so he doesn’t look like a Ko-Toa when they’re known for their grey, blue, and silver armor. And I’m happy with their ratio as is, which is coincidentally the same as Perp’s portrait. Looking forward to some cool artwork, the winners look great together!

EDIT: You have to paint the same amount of parts if you want to make a blue or grey Kualus

27 Likes

Has anyone yet pointed out that because of the existence of Hewkii Inika, gunmetal is among the normal pool of armour colours for Toa of Stone and thus would not be seen as remarkable / a sign of status?

The Toa Inika were created by the Red Star, so I’d say they’re an exception.

Yes, gunmetal should be the color if Kopeke or Talvi became a Toa, silver if Jaa became a Toa and metal blue if Matoro became a Toa… wait. So any of those colors are a common color for a Toa of Ice, wich I don’t find as terrible as long as the armor stands out. On the other hand, golden would be the color if Solek became a Toa.

Toa of Stone don’t like to have a consistent color anyway, so I don’t see it as problem.

1 Like

Looking them over again, I appreciate the accidental symmetry of the chest plates. You have: x2 foot pieces, x2 Bohrok shields (moreover they’re both Gahlok shields!), and x2 actual chest plates. I don’t know how that worked out, but I’m glad it did.

23 Likes

Really wish the same could be said of the shoulders. If Kodiak’s Gaaki had won at least, you’d have 2/2/2 split of Metru, Nuva and Knights’ Kingdom shoulders (at least the KK shoulders look similar). And if Kualus/Pouks’ colour is changed to make them the same, you’d also have one colour per shoulder type.

It probably does cross the line, but it would be really cool if Gaaki’s shoulders were made to look like Nuva shoulders. It would make the team look so much more uniform (to me, at least).

7 Likes

I absolutely love this image of all of them together!

4 Likes

I must admit, they look better together than I thought they would. Nice pic.

3 Likes

I would have preferred that Bomonga have a different shoulder armor, so each Toa would have an unique armor.

6 Likes

Because the Toa with lightning powers and organic masks surely must have normal colours, right?

I disagree, I think they look nothing alike. One is flat and smooth, the other big and spiked.

Why are only 3 of them casting a shadow?

2 Likes

I’m thinking… Destral 65!

Because those three were added into the picture from scenes with vastly different lighting and backgrounds.

Part out of curiosity, and partially because I completely missed if this had been discussed before, do changes to eye color constitute a significant, and thereby prohibited, modification to the design?

12 Likes

Neither the comics nor the movies were consistent in eye colors relative to sets (at least 2004-2005), so I guess you have the freedom to change that.