BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2 (Art) + Part 1 Winners

Whew. We’re halfway there.

We always knew this was going to be the most complex out of these contests, with a slew of new and difficult variables to balance. And of all of these contests, it would potentially lead to the most issues and potentially not be logistically reasonable to execute. Eventually, after months of debate, in addition to a couple months of accepting entries, vetting entries, and working to get the polls up to vote on entries… we’re finally here.

As with previous contests, voter turnout was impressive. The thing that continues to take me aback is how consistent the amount of voters is. And again, fortunately, fraudulent voting is essentially zero.

Now then, moving on to the exciting stuff! As things have lined up well with the second part of 810NICLE Day, we’re going to kick off the second part of the Hagah contest and announce the winners at the same time, so everyone can get started.

From roughly 400 total creations, nearly 100 for each Toa, these four have been chosen by the community to be the basis for what will become the canon appearance of the remaining for Toa Hagah. Without further ado, the winners of Part 1:

Expand for the results

Toa Bomonga Winner: Bomonga The Big
By TheUnderscoredDouble

Toa Kualus Winner: The Platinum Paladin - Kualus
By SubParFauxPas

Toa Gaaki Winner: Toa Gaaki, the Proving Psychic
By doni

Toa Pouks Winner: Pouks
By Kodiak

Now then, let’s keep going: It’s time to get the band back together.

Your quest, should you choose to accept it, is to illustrate all six Toa Hagah in a group shot. The winning image will be sent to Greg Farshtey to canonize the appearances of Bomonga, Kualus, Gaaki, and Pouks.

A few notes, before you begin your endeavor:

• You may not greatly modify Norik or Iruini. We’re not talking about style, of course. Any modifications (such as to build or color scheme) will be requested to be corrected, or potentially be disqualified. Entries attempting to modify these two will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
  • Specifically regarding Toa Pouks, no entries for this character may feature the canon design of the Mask of Emulation.
  • We encourage entrants to illustrate full-body renders of the group, however it will not be mandated.
  • The following masks are not allowed to be used as designs for any masks that may be changed by the artist:
Restricted Kanohi Masks

-Jutlin
-Avsa
-Mohtrek
-Crast
-Mutated Felnas
-Mutated Shelek
-Mask of Scavenging
-Kraahkan
-Avohkii
-Olisi
-Mask of Light and Shadow
-Tryna
-Ignika
-Vahi
-Mask of Creation (G1 and G2)
-Any Nuva Mask
-Mask of Aging
-Mask of Incomprehension
-Mask of Undeath
-Shapeshifted Mask of Mutation
-Any Glatorian or Agori helmet
-Hero Factory 2.0 and 3.0 helmets
-Mask of Ultimate Power (G2)

In addition to the above, we opted for a consent system to strike a balance between Part 1 winners and Part 2 entrants in terms of artistic input. Masks, Spear Tip designs, and Metallic Colors were categories that Part 1 entrants were asked to either allow to be changed or locked in. Below are the winners consents:

Expand for consents

Bomonga:

• Mask is not allowed to be changed.
  • Spear tip is not allowed to be changed.
  • Metallic color is allowed to be changed.

Kualus:

• Mask is not allowed to be changed.
  • Spear tip is not allowed to be changed.

Gaaki:

• Mask is allowed to be changed.
  • Spear tip is allowed to be changed.

Pouks:

• Mask is allowed to be changed.
  • Spear tip is allowed to be changed.

And of course, in addition to the contest specific rules, the over-all contest rules for art apply as well. Read them and follow them and you won’t run into issues:

ART CONTEST RULES:

Expand for Rules

1. Entrants must be 13 years old or older.
1a. Entries may not be entered on behalf of someone younger than 13.

2. All entrants must abide by TTV Message Board rules and guidelines.
2a. If you are permanently banned during the course of the contest, your entry will be disqualified. Suspensions will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
2b. Any member found to have a duplicate account will be permanently banned.
2c. Entries must be submitted on behalf of the entry creator themselves. They may not be submitted on behalf of another person.

3. In order to enter, a new topic must be made for the creation with (Contest name) in the title. That topic must then be linked in a post IN THIS TOPIC to be considered entered into the contest.
3a. For any of these contests (with the exception of the Toa Hagah contest), only one entry may be entered per person.
3b. Winners of prior contests are allowed to enter additional contests.

4. A minimum of two (2) images must be provided. One of the mask, containing the front, side, and top view, and one of the winning MOC wearing it.
4a. All artwork must be in color. Not grey-scale.
4b. Once your entry has been officially entered and accepted, no further changes can be made without staff approval.
4c. Images can be hosted on Imgur, Flickr, Brickshelf, or uploaded to the MB.
4d. Your creation may not feature any contemporary war weapons. (I.e Tanks, fully automatic firearms, etc)
4e. Artwork cannot significantly modify the aesthetics of the original MOC, either by omission or addition, and must follow the color scheme of the original MOC as closely as possible. For example, additional limbs or significant color shifts would not be allowed.

5. We encourage your entry to be recognizably within the BIONICLE world. However, we have no restriction on art styles.
5a. While we accept any style, we do not permit any character artwork featuring any characters that appears too human. Examples of that would be a lack of technical/BIONICLE pieces or elements, or human faces on Kanohi.
5b. Art containing a suggestive or sexualized appearance, pose, construction, or otherwise are not permitted. Entries that contain these properties will be handled on an individual basis.

6. 3D entries are allowed.
6a. Any entry using 3D must provide the model file at time of entry if they are designing a new mask.
6b. 3D entries must not be MOC recreations and renders using Stud.Io or LEGO Digital Designer. This is your interpretation, not a simple recreation.
6c. If the inspiration MOC uses a custom Mask or Weapon, you are allowed to either use those on the MOC or create your own.
6d. At this time, the only 3D modelers who have expressly allowed the usage of their pieces are KingSidorak, Galva_, GX_05, KhingK, Vahki6 (for him, check this post), D-S-Creation-Forge.
6e. If an entry utilizes pieces from the aforementioned 3D modelers, they’ll need to provide a link to the free source for the piece. If one does not exist, the piece may not be used.
6f. If an entrant enters with a 3D piece they made themselves, they must provide a link to the 3D model file for free at the time of entry. If no link is included at the time of entry, and not included for three (3) days afterwards, the entry will be disqualified.
6g. By entering a 3D printed piece of their own creation, the entrant agrees that it will be freely available under a creative commons license for all time.

7. Artwork created before this contest can be submitted, provided they abide by these rules/guidelines. However, the creations must be entered by the creator of said Art.
7a. To expand on the last sentence, entries must be entered by the creator themselves. Any artwork entered on behalf of another person, new or otherwise, will be disqualified until submitted by the creator them self.
7b. Any artwork found to be submitted that is determined to be a commission work made for this contest will be disqualified.

8. Entries are allowed to imitate the styles of prior BIONICLE artists. (I.e, Carlos D’anda, Randy Elliott, etc). However, please make it clear that the artwork is not actually by any particular prior BIONICLE artist.

9. Do not plagiarize.

10. Do not submit artwork featuring characters in inappropriate or suggestive poses. These will be disqualified.

11. We reserve the right to disqualify, at any time, any entry that we have reason to believe has been entered in bad faith or in an attempt to disrupt the voting process, or any entry we have reason to believe may disrupt the voting process.

12. We have no rules against vote brigading. However, if any member or participant in either the MOC or Art portion of any of these contests, or an unrelated party who is voting in the Polling portion, is found to be offering compensation (i.e, money, artwork, prizes, etc) for votes, then their account will be suspended for the duration of said contest, their entry will be disqualified (if they entered), and their vote will be subtracted from the final tally. Repeated offenses will result in a permanent ban.

And that does it! We know it’s a lot to take in, but being this thorough has proven its worth. So get to it! The entry period starts now, August 11th, 2021, and will go until September 11th, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST.

If anyone has any questions, we’ll do everything we can to answer promptly. Congratulations to the winners, and best of luck to the entrants!

45 Likes

Largest of congratulations to Kodiak for having his impressive Pouks canonized - and to all of the other winners as well!

Now, let the fun begin.

12 Likes

Over-all pleased with the results.

If anyone was going to be a nonstandard metru, I feel the one that can turn into something that towers over a city and fights a giant monster Toho Godzilla style is a good pick.

My only gripe now is that I’d love color uniformity… so now begs the question.

Blue Pouks? Or Gunmental Kualus?

9 Likes

Check the consents list.

I’d honestly like to see blue pouks, but gunmetal kualus is an impossibility.

From what I see all of them have color change consent?

1 Like

I’ve got to say, I’m pretty happy with these results. I like Bomonga’s unique silhouette. I also like that one of the more obscure masks is going to be used on a main character.

The only change that I’d make in the art is to make Kualus gunmetal to get the 2/2/2 colour split. I wouldn’t complain about mask or spear changes, but I don’t think they’re necessary. (I would complain about any other colour changes, though)

Also, what’s going to be the deal with Bomonga’s mask? Does it have to stay as “mask with unknown power”, or can we officially recognize it as a Faxon?

Gunmetal Kualus, for two reasons.

One is that Blue Kualus would just look like a standard Toa of Ice.

Two is purism. Neither recolour could be completely purist, but Gunmetal Kualus is more purist since the feet and chest already come in gunmetal.

No it’s not:

3 Likes

I would’ve preferred Kodiak’s gaaki and Doni’s Pouks, but whatever.

4 Likes

…Hm, looks like I misread.

Well, this will be fun after all.

1 Like

Maybe green Bomonga and pink Gaaki :thinking:

Jokes aside. I think I prefer gunmetal Kualus, because I think blue Pouks doesn’t look as well as an gunmetal Kualus. On the other hand, blue have a more precious metal look than gunmetal, so I’m undecided.

4 Likes

Excellent job to all entrants and a special congratulations to the winners!

2 Likes

On one hand, I’d prefer Perp’s Bomonga and Gaaki (or Galva’s Gaaki) on the other hand I do like that my headcanon for Bomonga’s mask is confirmed. For those unaware, my entry for Bomonga also had a faxon but Double uses a galva version of the mask.

IF ANYONE JUST CLICKED ON THIS TOPIC AND CAME TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE WINNERS’ METALLIC COLORS, ALL FOUR MOCCISTS ARE ALLOWING THEM TO BE CHANGED.

Okay, that’s all! Have fun, everyone!

15 Likes

I’m kinda relieved that none of them look too different from the existing Hagah, with the exception of Bomonga.
My personally preference on the metallic colors is a 3/3 split with gold and silver.
Gaaki-gold
Pouks-silver
Kualus-silver
Bomonga-gold
Not likely to get those though.
Congrats to all the entrants and the winners!

6 Likes

I have two hopes for this:
A 3-3 color split (like the one Rukah posted)
Existing masks for Gaaki and Pouks

2 Likes

Bomonga having two fingers and a thumb whereas other MU inhabitants tend to have at least four is… interesting. Maybe he looked at the Mata sets before becoming a Toa.

Well, at any rate, I might actually enter into this. I doubt I’ll get anywhere, but I only have myself to blame if I don’t try.

3 Likes

I guess it’s time for some Bricklink orders.

Very satisfied with the results. I can’t wait to draw them and see what others come up with!

I’m gonna do that when the whole contest is finished so I know the metallic colors and spears and stuff. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi everyone. While I’m happy that my Gaaki won, I very strongly suggest for artists to change the mask I put for her. While artists are free to keep the same mask on for her, it would be a disservice for Galva to change his version of the Mask of Clairvoyance into a mask that specifically wouldn’t be that (something I realized a little too late lol).

18 Likes

Casual MOC-ists when they realize they have to get five black metru torsos to get a model of Bomonga.

26 Likes