Toa Hagah, the Elite of the Elite (Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard)

Hi everyone! Here’s my interpretations of the remaining four Toa Hagah.

Since they all hail from Toa teams across different lands in the Matoran Universe, I made all their armor different enough from each other while maintaining Metru builds (going with the logic that the Metru build is one of many common forms a Toa can have [Toa Metru, Toa Hagah, Toa Lhikan, Toa Dume, etc.]).

Toa Pouks, the Boisterous Bruiser

I wanted to make a Pouks that demanded your eyes’ attention. Since there’s no clue of what his metallic colors would be and brown and blue are direct color contrasts, I went for a vibrant metallic blue.

Toa Kualus, the Friend to All

Despite similarities to Toa Norik, Kualus’s color scheme is actually pearl light gray. In nice lighting, his armor shines more than the rest of his silver allies.

Toa Gaaki, the Proving Psychic

Using the same logic as Rahaga Iruini’s gold spinner and Toa color scheme, I made Toa Gaaki’s color scheme match with her Rahaga form’s spinner.

Toa Bomonga, the Quiet-Night

Again, using the same logic as Iruini and Gaaki’s color schemes, Bomonga utilizes his DBG spinner throughout his color scheme. Although the aforementioned color isn’t metallic, gunmetal would be the closest match to it.

I give consent for my masks to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes on Gaaki and Kualus; No on Bomonga and Pouks
I give consent for my metallic color choices to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes on Kualus and Gaaki; No on Bomonga and Pouks
I give consent for my spear tips to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes

3D Model Links
Pouks’ Kanohi: The Champions [MASK PACK #4] by Galva - Thingiverse

Kualus’ Kanohi: Mask of Rahi Control (Toa Hagah Kualus) -Lovice Commission- by Galva - Thingiverse

Gaaki’s Kanohi: Mask of Clairvoyance (Toa Hagah Gaaki) -Lovice Commission- by Galva - Thingiverse

Bomonga’s Kanohi: Great Mask of Control (3QR8DNE9E) by Galva_bot
(FREE DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE ON PAGE)

And that’s everything! Thanks for viewing my entries. I hope my Toa are in your considerations for future voting :slight_smile:

55 Likes

Wow that campion kakama is really popular with Pouks entries. My favorite here is Bomonga, love how the mask of control blends with his armor.

4 Likes

NOOOO HE’S DEAD

I’d vote for these but all the interesting elements - the mask, the armor color, etc. - can be altered, so there’s no real reason to vote for these over any others.

9 Likes

These look really cool!

1 Like

It’s only so the artists have the option and don’t feel burdened by all the silver Toa I have. Ideally, I’d wanna keep them the same colors/masks as presented (my original vision) and I’d hope the artists would share the same feeling.

3 Likes

I mean, some people have allowed certain Toa and barred others in the same entry post, so you could do whatever
But I like the masks of all of these (especially Pouks) and I feel upset that the defining traits of this Pouks could get tossed aside if desired

4 Likes

Love these, especially that shot of Beegmonga wrestling with the Kahgarak.
My only gripe with these is as a unit, the 3 silvers and the 3 much more interesting metallic coloured guys is a little unsatisfying - but that’s it.
Excellent part choices all around, each of these designs just work. Good job!
(And real nice work with the paint too)

2 Likes

Point taken. Would be a real shame to have Pouks changed.

1 Like

Thinking about it, Kualus would have been very handy during the retrieval of the Ignika.

Great builds. Good job, and good luck in the contest.

13 Likes

Ah, I see we went with the same shoulder armour for Gaaki. Neat.

Your Bomonga is by far my favourite of the 4 though. The gunmetal works really well, and he’s nice and bulky.

1 Like

These are really cool on the whole. Generally I have little issue with the teams people have designed. They tend to look internally consistent (though in this case I would have preferred an even metallic colour distribution). The issue comes with the fact that we can’t guarantee all four of them will win, so the question of consistency is completely up in the air. For that reason I’m glad you gave consent to changes on at least some of these guys.

My individual feedback:

Pouks: As a MOC, he is really cool and by far my favourite in terms of aesthetics. As a canon Hagah design, a little less so.
The KK pauldrons, which I’m usually not a fan of, work ok here. I will question whether that shoulder connection is totally legal, considering the pin doesn’t seem to fit all the way into the under-arm.

The upper legs are also a little custom for my ‘must look like a set’ sensibilities.
While it is a really cool MOC though, these things and the lack of consent to change the metallic colour will likely sway my vote towards something else. It would be really cool do get a metallic blue Pouks though - I just think it’s very risky for me to vote for personally.
What paint did you use for the metallic blue? It looks like a good match.

Kualus: Simple but effective. Would have preferred if the shoulders used simple Metru or Nuva armour, but it works visually. I’m a bit wary of the mask, because while consent is given to change it, I’d want to avoid getting a correctly-shaped Kanohi canonised for another of the Hagah.

Gaaki: Same argument as for Kualus’ mask. Also that mask has been used a lot by other entries, so it’s not as inherently unique. Still, I do really like the design.

Bomonga: Really don’t like the CCBS parts, and the spear doesn’t look very G1. But I do like the colour scheme.

3 Likes

These are fun! I’m especially digging your Pouks. Metallic blue is an unconventional choice that just works somehow, and the different armor pieces all look very smooth and consistent. The thighs are a nice bit of customization that won’t look out of place next to another Hagah. Good stuff!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll say upfront that Pouks is my favorite design out of all the team, so I made sure he was worked on carefully. I didn’t really think of working on him as what an official set would look like, but rather what a Toa from a different land of Iruini and Norik would look like. Since all of them are from different Toa teams across the MU, I doubt the Toa Hagah would all look super similar to each other. I did my best to work within the constraints of metallic blue options as much I could besides a few painted parts to make sure he’s buildable without too much hassle (the Hagah shield design can be 3D printed through KingSidorak, so I’m not too worried on getting that piece). I‘m also not too worried about the upper arm pin since the piece is still snug in the connector and there certainly isn’t a shortage of pins among past/modern LEGO sets if problems arise in the far future. For paint, I used Vallejo Azure Blue mixed with a tiny bit of generic Walmart gray paint.

As for Bomonga, I had the same logic with Pouks. He just happens to be from the faraway land of CeCeBeS. Also helps making him with more common pieces and a bulky aesthetic through the use of CCBS.

I didn’t allow color changes for these two since their designs have specific uses for their pieces. I’d think that my Pouks and Bomonga would lose a lot of their originality if their colors were simply swapped for other colors. Plus if I made them golden/silver/other originally, I probably wouldn’t have worked within constraints and made unique features (Roborider thighs, Mata feet, CCBS, Nuva pauldrons, etc.).

6 Likes

I like your reasoning on what the metallic colors should be.

1 Like

for this you have my vote

I don’t find these to be particularly outstanding in terms of build, but I’m a big fan of your Pouks and Bomonga. Best of luck.

3 Likes

Your Pouks has been my favorite out of all the ones I’ve seen. I like Gaaki and Bomonga’s allusion to their Rahaga forms like Iruini by matching their metallic armor colors with their spinners. Good luck :+1:

2 Likes

Great job, I really like Bomonga!

2 Likes

That Bomonga may have just swayed my vote.

1 Like

These are - overall - really good.

My general dislike for painted pieces, 3D prints (though the masks all fit) and CCBS on G1 characters aside, I only see the following “problems”:

Pouks:

• From experience, the Knights Kingdom shoudlers can be attached securely to double sockets, but they don’t fit completely. The main reason why I didn’t use any in my own Hagah.
  • Is the upper leg armor even attached to the leg or just wedged in place?

Kualus:

• the Bohrok eyes on the lower legs don’t seem to be properly atached, seeing how they use axles in a pinhole. They’re just held in there by the design of the Hordika legs, right?

Gaaki:

• simple but effective; I like the inclusion of a hose, but the side view of the back is not terribly great.

Bomonga:

• simultaneously the best and worst :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Can’t find anything that’s “wrong” here. (Except - at least for me - the CCBS…)

Good luck, though! Even though I disagree with some designs here, these are definitely among the better Hagah I remember seeing.

3 Likes

Thanks! Kualus’ Hordika leg design allows the Bohrok eyes to fit without them flopping off. Adding blue axle/pins instead would’ve clashed with the color scheme. And Pouks‘ thighs technically aren’t connected, but the Roborider pieces are attached just right by the liftarms to fit snugly between the connectors and not cause any stress to the pieces behind it.

2 Likes