BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

Well, I feel like if Hoseryx won he’d have to say yes, because he knows that saying no would upset the fans who voted for it even if he thinks: “Well, that’s not exactly how I described/imagined this character.”
It feels a bit wrong to me, just putting Greg before the fact.

“Hey Mr Faber, what do you think of this contest winner?”

But What is a contest? What makes a winner. Is it something physical, or something that was inside of us? The world is changing. We’re all winners if we continue the stories we believe in… Also please fund Rebel Nature.”

18 Likes

Anybody else find it weird that, for all the conversations around creativity and diversity, an awful lot of the Kualuses have been given masks with scopes? Can we not have one (surviving) Toa of Ice without one?

On an unrelated note - the trans-black Kaukau fits perfectly into a pearl dark gray (gunmetal) color scheme. I hope someone decides to use it.

10 Likes

An awful lot of Gaakis have Galva’s mask…

4 Likes

I’m not sure how that’s related? The point I was making was that if one of those entries wins, we have yet another Toa of Ice with a scoped mask. If a Gaaki wins with Galva’s mask, that doesn’t perpetuate any particular feature for Toa of Water.

2 Likes

They both relate to the fact that the entries overall are largely uncreative. The fact a lot of people are using Galva’s Mask of Clairvoyance (which is branded as such) seems to me that they either don’t know or care for the lore that the Hagah have differently shaped masks. Plus, a lot of them use either Gahlok or Gahlok-Kal shields as chest armor, Kalmah’s armor on the shoulders, or Hydraxon’s blade or Guurahk’s staff for the spear, which are the most obvious choices to use for a water character, but that’s what makes it boring.

And also:

1 Like

I agree that there’s a lot of similarity with the Gaaki entries, and they are related in that respect, but they are separate issues. The previous poster seemed to imply the one addressed the other.

3 Likes

I made my Gaaki Moc like last summer and I originally had the silver Lewa Nuva mask, but I switched to gavla mask. I liked how the mask fit with the “pointyness” of the spear which also looks similar to a trident. I have no way of 3d printing masks either so it’s the only silver mask I could go with. I know it sucks that a lot of designs are very similar now but I just liked how mine turned out.

I just wish I could 3d print and paint masks I would pick other masks now.

2 Likes

I’m not suggesting you or doni copied each other, or that either of your entries look bad. I’m saying that in terms of the contest, it will be hard, or near impossible, to choose between them if it came down to it because they are pretty much identical. There are only subtle differences, like the choice of the legs or spearheads (which can change in the art anyway), that ultimately won’t be significant. That’s how a lot of these Gaaki entries are, and it’s honestly disappointing.

3 Likes

I think it’s partly the nature of this contest because we have two other toa to go off of, there’s going to be similarities. It also doesn’t help that everyone is going for the aquatic armor look which consists of that chest piece and the hydruka/kalmah armors. Which looks good it just sucks that a lot of people had the same idea.

5 Likes

Anyone else notice a lot of Pouks use a kakama? A lot of them galva’s. At least it’s lore accurate and I won’t lie Galva’s Kakama is SICK.

3 Likes

Preach.

Didn’t know until now that’s what that mask was supposed to be. With that being the case, assuming a Gaaki wearing that mask wins in the art portion, people do know that that won’t be the “canon” appearance of the Mask of Clairvoyance, right? It will be Gaaki’s Mask of Clairvoyance… in the shape of an unknown mask. At least, I’m 95% sure that’s how it works…

4 Likes

I honestly don’t see how a lot of peoples’ Gaaki entries looking similar is a problem. To me that just means that the community has a clear vision of what we think she looks like. Hopefully that means that, whichever one wins, the result actually won’t be controversial for once in these contests.

Also, if you think the Gaakis look similar, wait until we get to Nidhiki. xD

2 Likes

That’s precisely the problem. If the community agrees on what she looks like, what’s the point of an entire contest for it?

This is something I think Eljay doesn’t realize. He has said he is happy with how well this contest has been going, but that’s because there have been no risks on the entries’ part (aside from one or two bad faith entries). But without risks, you don’t get something new and unique. I think the ruleset is too strict, but even within them, there is creativity that is possible that I’m simply not seeing, and I believe it goes beyond everyone agreeing with what Gaaki looks like. Has this contest gone smoothly? Yes. Has it been boring? Most definitely.

And I hope we never do.

5 Likes

That will be how it works, yes.

It will be the shape of any unknown mask but the MoCl. Which is rather unfair to Galva, who designed it to be the MoCl, for it to be canonized as anything but what he intended.

5 Likes

…So that we can canonise our collective headcanon of what she looks like? Like, I don’t personally feel the need for Greg’s approval of my aesthetic tastes at this point, but a lot of people in the community do, so if we can get a commonly agreed-upon look canonised, why not do it?

1 Like

So, since most people in the community (not everyone) agree on how she should look, they should force that headcanon onto those who disagree by making it officially canon?

If the community in general want Gaaki to look like most of the current entries, that’s perfectly fine. The problem is when it’s forced onto people like me, who don’t see Gaaki as looking like that. Leaving it officially unknown is leaving it up to personal headcanon, which I think is much better. Either way, it’s a moot point since Eljay refuses to entertain the idea of stopping the contests until after Lariska.

4 Likes

You will literally be just as able to headcanon Gaaki’s appearance after the contests as you were before it. Saying canon is ‘forced on you’ is like saying that it’s not fair that we have confirmed appearances for Tahu, or Nuparu.

The beauty of Bionicle being a dead line is that no new material is being made using that canon anyway, so you can just ignore it if you don’t like it. I know that’s what I’m doing with Helryx. Let the people who care about that sort of thing have their confirmed set, and headcanon what you prefer.

2 Likes

For people like me who want to adhere to canon as closely as possible, if Greg says it’s canon, it’s canon. If I want to ignore it, I can’t.

6 Likes

I’ve been avoiding other peoples’ entries to see them all fresh when it’s time to vote, so I haven’t noticed scopes being so common. I use a Kaukau for him, though his color is one of the gold shades instead of gunmetal. I had initially wanted that color, but it worked better on Pouks for the color spread I was going with.

1 Like