Hagah's Nostalgia (BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2)

There is no problem, with today’s software it accentuates the details even more. The two allies (drawing and software) make everything realistic. I use the same techniques for MODs from games such as Warhammer 40k. And thank you very much for your post. I love the Bionicle community!

Unity is exactly what I wanted to transcribe in the artwork! In view of the legend of this Toa team, I tried to give them back their nobility with this work. Thank you, that participation is compared to LEGO it touches me enormously!

1 Like

While it is entirely possible that you did indeed draw this, the large amounts of artifacting on whatever you used on the background and the laughably washed-out tone of Iruini’s armor make it look incredibly suspect.

EDIT: To back up my point, I took one of the Toa Metru promo images, applied the “Ink Sketch” effect in Paint.net - and the result has very similar artifacting on the background.

8 Likes

It is true that I am “new” to this community forum on Bionicles. I am someone who watches and learns from others at the MOC level. In addition, I am not very active. These competitions allow “freely” a conception and a look on a Universe which likes a very large number of people and which likes new ones. I was the first to be reluctant to take part in these different competitions, at least at the start. The rules having evolved in the right direction, and with the canonizations of Helryx and Artakha, I was more than satisfied with the results. So I set out to participate more in the community. I work on drawing projects, whether they are video games as explained above or in the field of tattooing. Your effect actually resembles the result I got. However, here are pictures of my backdrop that I used for the background:

I reworked the whole thing to make it fade in, colorful, and bring out all the different details. The drawing of Metru Nui is one of my projects from several years ago. I just incorporated it. As with Norik’s drawing:

I then imported the latter into Photoshop, all six Toa Hagahs were therefore reworked in terms of colors using the creation software. Finally, I use this kind of printer and scanner for my creations (this one is that of my workplace). This allows me to be able to do pretty much what I want:

In an answer I already gave, I worked with these images for the masks of Kualus, Bomonga and Gaaki, as well as a screenshot of the Hagah plinth in their TV commercial.

If my participation does not comply with the standard, it will be disqualified, I hope to get a response from the moderators if this is the case.

2 Likes

With all due respect…I don’t believe a word you just said. Mostly because Norik here is just too on-model and the lighting too realistic to make this look like anything other than a Stud.io model with some filters on it. There’s no stylization like you see in even the most realistic submissions thus far. The pinholes and geometry are too perfect. At the same time, entire chunks of his body are just…not there???
You straight-up did not draw half his knee? And why would you take a shoddy photo of your art instead of scanning it, since you were using a scanner anyway?
What are these dots under his armpit? Part of his torso that got mostly filtered-out, or artifacts?

So, yeah, forgive me for my skepticism, but I find this entire submission highly suspect.

6 Likes

Is 1-to-1 recreation your specialty? Because the unnatural light highlights from the Stud.io Building lighting map are pretty clearly visible, which is probably another piece of what throws people off.

7 Likes

For the “unnatural” light, I use fine canvas, behind which I place ultraviolet light (the link is in French, however the methods they use serve to reveal parts of the drawing and defects on which I am emphasizing. This may or may not lead to data loss such as Norik’s knees: Gilles Perrault - Art Analysis Laboratory & Expert Consulting Firm)

For the rest I always draw shadows that I erase or not. I don’t need it to be “perfect” to be able to add them to different software.

In any case, this is the first time that I have had to justify a job so much. And in view of the reactions to my participation, you have nothing to fear, since rule “11. We reserve the right to disqualify, at any time, any entry that we have reason to believe has been entered in bad faith or in an attempt to disrupt the voting process, or any entry we have reason to believe may disrupt the voting process.” is very likely to backfire on me.

While that is most certainly an interesting technique, the coloration isn’t what I was referring to. The shape of the highlights on Norik’s shoulder being overlapping elliptical shapes is what I was mentioning - something quite common on Studio renders.

2 Likes

When your art is so good it’s bad.

4 Likes

Even if you did draw this, which I have doubts about, your background is based on this fanmade image that was not acknowledged or credited. For anyone who believes it’s just the standard Metru Nui skyline, here’s a comparison

Official Metru Nui skyline on top, your image in the middle, and the fanart at the bottom. You can clearly see multiple buildings and design elements on the bottom two that aren’t present in official media. Honest mistake or not, I believe this constitutes plagiarism.

19 Likes

Another thing to note - even if OP’s hand-drawn art is this technically proficient, down to replicating things that aren’t there… the composition, coloration, and inconsistent filter application are downright amateurish. I suspect that part of the reason for the ink sketch filter is that the fire effects on Norik’s weapon are obviously low-resolution and needed to be masked, so a filter was applied clearly BEFORE composition was final, leading to it being impossible to un-notice once you do.

4 Likes

Yikes, hadn’t seen that before.

sure heckin does

4 Likes

Say it ain’t so

If each of you have read each comment correctly, I will explain that I am reproducing what I see for my works. I actually based on the work of IRON6DUCK for my drawing (as I said this I’ve been working on it for several years, in no way did I think it would be used for a contest one day or another). Then, it is on my drawing that I based myself for the integration on my participation. If having inspiration from another’s work is considered plagiarism, the whole of art, whether in painting, musical or cinematographic, is. Plagiarism is taking another’s work for your own.

That doesn’t qualify as just “inspiration”. It’s clearly the exact same piece of art with some filters. At best, you directly plagiarized the art, which you admit to doing right here.

There’s a difference between taking “inspiration” from something and recreating the art 1:1.

15 Likes

Which you did. Like… you just did that. You took work you didn’t make and passed it off as your own.

9 Likes

You literally copied someone else’s art. That’s plagiarism. And, let’s be real: you haven’t been working on this for years. You whipped this up in Photoshop in like an hour, and you didn’t draw anything, you just put some filters on some Stud.io renders and someone else’s hard work. You have brought shame to this contest with your duplicitous efforts.

7 Likes

I’m hoping this doesn’t get disqualified and what your saying is true because it’s the sickest looking piece so far

2 Likes

Many thanks for this support. The contest will be largely over, but I will post a video explaining my entire way of working and drawing. Thanks again !

2 Likes

At this point, I think your explaining video could very well be finished way before the contest even starts. If you’re actually gonna make one.

2 Likes

Hello,

We’re just writing to let you know that we’re formally disqualifying this entry for being in violation of the following rule:

Pretty straightforward, all things considered; a shame that it wasn’t followed. Please don’t do this again in the future. Thank you!

18 Likes