BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2 (Art) + Part 1 Winners

If the mask for Pouks is a custom 3D mask, you only need to link the free download link for the file. If Gaaki’s isn’t, that’s the one you need to draw.

Both.

5 Likes

The Hagah were the Makita’s personal body guards, and the Makuta are frequently said to have armies of Exo-Toa. It would make sense that the Hagah would hop into them from time to time.

Seeing as the Exo-Toa completely negated the Toa Mata’s powers, it makes absolutely no sense that a Toa would willingly use an Exo-Toa suit.

2 Likes

Seeing as it appears Eljay is posting in the thread, I’d like to take the opportunity to reiterate my question from earlier.

Additionally, what’s the verdict on the art changing aspects of the kanohi worn by the two 1/3 consent hagah, provided said aspects are not seen in the entry image?

2 Likes

Here’s a couple quotes on Exo-Toa and the Hagah.

No, they were not made for the Toa Hagah. They were made to function independenty, the way they did against the Kal, on the orders of the BOM.

(Link)

They weren’t designed to work independently. They were originally designed to guard BOM fortresses, and we know the BOM also had Toa to protect them. So it is reasonable to assume that some Toa (even if not the Hagah we know of) may have used them in the past.

(Link)

They weren’t intended to be used by the Hagah, but it’s not impossible they used them at some point. Seems like a reasonable rule to disallow them IMO.

1 Like

Right now, we’re leaning yes, it would be prohibited. The previous winning entries retained the colors of the winning MOCs, and we’re opting for precedence for the time being.

Elaborate, please.

3 Likes

Huemus was right, I copy them from his entry.

Though I’m unable to find it at the moment, I recall there being some statement made that had Perp’s Pouks won, there would’ve been some allowance to different interpretations of the thigh armor, on account of it being a little difficult to make out on the entry image.
My question is whether the set-in-stone mask designs must 100% be the design used in the entry photograph, or if there can there be modifications made to areas of the mask not visible in the entry photograph?

EDIT: It has come to my attention that the discussion pertaining to Pouks’ thigh armor was in reference to Kodiak’s winning entry, and not Perp3tual’s artwork. I apologize for the error.

1 Like

Not accounting for stylization, yes, you need to use the pieces shown in the entry photos. But pieces not shown (such as Pouks’ knee armor), we’re allowing for modification.

5 Likes

Fair enough, I suppose. I just thought it would be more interesting to depict them in a way never seen before.

1 Like

So, Exo-Toa is a no-go.

But what if…

17 Likes

Is that thing even canon?

1 Like

Of course it’s canon, it has one on it’s underside.

18 Likes

that’s not what I meant

yes
i want to see kualus on one

1 Like

We could make it canon.

(Just to be clear, I’m being seni-sarcastic, since I know back-door canonization is something to be avoided in these contest. It would be pretty awesome, though.)

3 Likes

Make it canon? Idk seems like a long-shot.
(This is a pun)

5 Likes

It’s all academic at this point, but there are situations wherein a Toa’s powers wouldn’t be helpful, but an Exo-Toa’s brute strength and heavy weaponry would. For example, a Ta-Toa fighting an opponent resistant or immune to Fire, like, say, a Makuta, or another Fire elemental. A battalion of Exo-Toa would be a godsend for dealing with Marendar.

I agree that we’ve never seen the Toa Hagah using Exo-Toa and therefore the latter shouldn’t feature in the contest entries, even for characters we already know the appearance of. But I think saying “Toa would never use Exo-Toa because of the detrimental effect on their powers” is a bit too restrictive.

I mean it’s not like we haven’t seen Toa nerf their own powers in favour of destructive technology before: Kongu “Two Hands” Mahri outright threw away his power-channelling Toa Tool in favour of a second gun, man would’ve absolutely hopped in an Exo-Toa if one had somehow made its way to the Pit.

13 Likes

These are some pretty extraneous circumstances. There are many more things you could do if you were aware of your opponent’s strengths prior to conflict, like bring another Toa or set a trap. As well, Kongu is an exception to the rule in many ways, and while it would be completely realistic to see him take an exo-toa at the first opportunity, it’s also realistic to say any Toa trying to do some serious Toa-ing would not utilize them under normal circumstances.

I mean, they wouldn’t be called “Exo-Toa” if they weren’t meant to be used by Toa.

9 Likes