BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2 (Art) + Part 1 Winners

Then here’s a better one. Perp and Crunch worked together on their art entry in the first part of the contest. They still didn’t finish it. We got one fantastic group shot, but the individual shots were more conceptual than finalized.

Yes, I agree that both the quality and quantity of art entries for the Hagah are less than the previous two contests, but to put no fault on the fact people are only given a month to draw six characters (Helryx and Artakha were open two weeks, so it’s double the time, but still six times the work) is absolutely absurd.

15 Likes

This is an excellent point! College has been so demanding that I didn’t get to spend Labor day properly and instead spent all day doing homework.

9 Likes

The fact that even you and I agree on this suggests that there’s probably some merit to giving the artists more ■■■■■■■ time. Art like this is really, REALLY hard to make, if anyone somehow wasn’t aware by now. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making this leg of the contest more accessible, especially considering we got months and months to make a Metru build, which isn’t remotely as difficult or complicated as painting said builds.

11 Likes

'Tis a bit of a moot point when you consider …

…scale.

3 Likes

Scale isn’t really a factor. Spearheads are shaped for stabbing, which requires them to be pointy. The aqua axes are shaped like a spade. And axes can be polearms, too.

Norik, the elite guardian of who would be the most powerful being in the universe to the point of becoming the universe… is beating spiders to death with a hand trowel taped to a stick. Don’t mess with him.

9 Likes

It … is. Gali Nuva uses just that piece, and it looks to scale because Gali Nuva is a small model.

Norik uses that piece plus a 16 (?) stud long haft, and he’s much taller. That way, it looks a lot more like a spear. Like, if Norik wielded the piece on its own, it’d be a hand trowel, not an axe. Scale does matter.

6 Likes

it actually uses two 12 long axle pieces for the spear shaft.

1 Like

I mean, actual axes tend to be about as big relative to a human as that piece is relative to Norik. Gali’s axes are freakishly large, if anything.

It is prudent to mention that such a weapon actually existed.

The chanzhang, or yueyachan, was carried as both a self-defense tool and a means to give unburied corpses a proper burial. Which means that Norik’s weapon is, in terms of its resemblance to real weapons, unironically a ■■■■■■■ shovel.

10 Likes

We’re talking strictly in the realm of fantasy, not the real world. Believe me, if you want to complain about the unrealism, PM me and we could go all day.

But within the realm that Bionicle fits in, Gali’s weapon are aesthetically identifiable as an axe, while Norik’s is a spear.

2 Likes

Not really relevant except in the sense that a lot of Bionicle weapons are named entirely the wrong thing. Lewa Nuva’s broadswords are somehow katana, Takanuva used a power “lance” which was really more of a trident, Onewa had flails that were just passed off as “claw clubs,” and that’s just the most egregious examples of Toa tools. Names don’t always describe things well in Bionicle.

They have the same shape. They cannot be the same thing by definition. “Axe” and “spear” are English words that describe weapons in Earth’s collective cultural heritage, which are designed for different things. Norik’s weapon is a terrible thrusting implement and, thus, more like an axe than anything else. The only way to make sense of this is to accept that maybe the names are not, and don’t have to be, an accurate reflection of the nature of the objects.

1 Like

With Iruini’s help, he nearly beat Teridax to death.

6 Likes

just wanted to jump into this weapon nomenclature discussion and remind everyone that metus’s weapon is canonically an axe
Set_Metus

14 Likes

Hi there, my drawing is almost done so I‘ll post it tomorrow or the day after, I have been super busy with work, but I have a question, is it required to make a different drawing for the four masks in different angles? Can I just link the 3D files? I used the same masks for all of them except gaaki, and I‘m not sure if I‘ll have the time to make those drawings.

2 Likes

You just need to draw Gaaki’s mask if it’s your own unique design. If you used another fan design, like Eljay said, just link a download.

3 Likes

Eh… It’s got a bit of a triangular shape going on. That’s good enough for me.

Maybe if he held it the other way, I could almost see the tip as being a weird-shaped axe head.

I have to wonder how that decision was made at Lego, though; was it maybe a reference to a prototype model that never got updated? Or did they get mixed up with Strakk somehow?

2 Likes

I agree they’re kinda shaped like a spade, but I wouldn’t really make that statement. For one, theres no convexity to the axe piece.
And if you follow the imaginary border of blades, they do have a tip. I do agree its definitely more of a halberd than a spear, but a spade? Nah

(Plus even spades, halberds, and chanzhangs/yueyachans still were used for stabbing/thrusts)

Hey, sorry for the delay, but affirmative on the Kualus blue (I’m going to be trying one or two more shades that might be closer, the shoulders are unpainted):

The only parts I’ve needed to paint so far are Gaaki’s mask and a gold shield (that part is hard to get in silver, who’da thunk?), and I’ve found most metallic silvers are fine to match Flat Silver.

17 Likes

Mine is almost done, I’m starting to color it now!

EDIT: I warned you

6 Likes

Don’t feel sorry lol. I hope I didn’t make you feel rushed.

I appreciate you he response. This gives me an idea for when I have to get my pieces painted. So far, the armor looks outstanding. Thank you again:)

2 Likes