BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2 (Art) + Part 1 Winners

I love all these entries and can’t wait to draw them! Controversially, I think I’ll keep all their colors and most of their masks the same (can someone elaborate on why Galva wouldnt want his mask used for Gaaki? I’m happy to oblige I’m just confused as to why). I think the color split of two gold, two silver, and two other works pretty well and I could see it happening in an actual toy line. Plus it will make them pretty interesting standing together.

Now, as for the matter of drawing SIX ridiculously greebled characters like this in one image…

9 Likes

Because a mask designed to be the Mask of Clairvoyance will be canonized as anything but the mask of Clairvoyance.

5 Likes

The only actual reason i don’t want to have that masked canonized, in all honesty, is that i don’t like it anymore. it’s an old model of mine and it’s fairly amateurish in comparison to my more recent work in several ways.

if someone wants to redesign it for their art then go right ahead, but as is i’m not a big fan of the design.

14 Likes

By putting Galva’s Mask of Clairvoyance in the artwork, it would absolutely make (in canon) Galva’s Mask of Clairvoyance NOT the Mask of Clairvoyance.

If I could make a recommendation, I’d suggest a Mask of Adaptation or Perp’s artwork mask (for the rounder features)

7 Likes

What do you mean? Carpal tunnel is your frieeeeend.

4 Likes

Well I went and done posted my thoughts on the wrong topic:

Honestly I’d like to see a Rode. It has that same horn silhouette, the mask exists in Lego parts, and one of the winners also had it so it was obviously popular.

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POST - Spiderus Prime

3 Likes

Ah, got it, thanks

tbh, many gaaki MOC were pretty similar, so I think it would be nice if mask changed uniquely design

ahh I should’ve used Ben 10 leg on my gaaki

edit

Does kualus’s muffler actually exist parts?

1 Like

I think so, purely as a technicality, in that you can’t see the thigh armour in the entry photo.

Also someone flagged me for spam for accidentally double-posting. Can u not

@Spiderus_Prime apologies, that was a joke. I want people to take my point seriously, so please don’t call me a jerk in my own post.

3 Likes

All things considered, this is probably the best outcome. They all look about as unique as they can while still feeling like part of a group. Bomonga has lost the rhotuka function, but with a little tinkering, that should be easy to add back in (just put in the launcher bit and mount it to his finger via an axle)

I believe it’s from a CCBS Star Wars set.

5 Likes

Yep, it’s constraction Rey’s cloth thing.

I was flagging it so that one of the moderators could fix it. “Spam” listed double posting as an example, so I went with that.

8 Likes

Ah apologies. Didn’t know that was the usual procedure.

Don’t forget about shipping cost and the fact that most sellers indeed only have one or two torso’s.

Congratulations to all the worthy winners.

I’m largely satsified with these. I would’ve preferred some of the alternate options for a fair few of them, but I’m not gonna lose sleep over it, the Hagah aren’t a big enough deal for me to get worked up over.

Pouks is probably my favourite. Big “I could’ve got this out of a can during Bionicle’s run” energy, which is exactly what I wanted out of this contest. And hey, he’s got chunkier thighs than his comrades, so looks like Thunder Thighs Pouks claimed a moral victory in the end!

My only regret is that we didn’t get the Mask of Office Supplies canonised. Then again, Doni and Galva do want to have Gaaki’s mask replaced. You know what to do, artists.

3 Likes

What was the mask of office supplies again? I forgot

1 Like

It’s Makooti, the Bionic Man!

7 Likes

That would honestly work, what with the whole “I almost know what’s going on, but not quite” vibe from the commercial.

The Makooti mask. It’s from this:

6 Likes

Congratulations to all the winners. While sadly none of the entries I voted for first won, I do wanted to say that I have seen a lot of inspiring builds. Not only in terms of new techniques (Bomonga), but also in terms of mask choices, spear tips, armor and color schemes. So regardless I think this contest is already a success!

1 Like

Finally!! congrats to all the finalists and winners, really outstanding work. I am super excited about this next part, but I´m not gonna lie, drawing six characters, all of whom have spears and massive shields, it´s gonna be very tough. I´ve had my concept ready to go for a few weeks now and I can´t wait to finish this thing. Good luck to everyone, play well.

4 Likes

he can’t keep getting away with it

4 Likes