BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

What’s that in cm? Guess I should have been more specific lol :slight_smile:

Oh this is going to be fun.
To Bricklink!

2 Likes

May I post all entries on the same topic, or I must make separated one for each entry?

Also, fellow Stud.io MOCers, please consider trying this: SwampKryakwa's Colorpack v1.5

It’s little color tool by me that will be really important for you to use - Stud.io pearl colors both are inaccurate and not best in look, this must fix issue for you

@Tarkur Exactly 1 stud taller, actually (if we don’t count mask)

1 stud is 0.8 centimeter

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

1 Like

The time has come! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
Good luck to everyone, and plase show me your GREAT-Hagahs!!

4 Likes

Thankfully we’re able to correct for mismatched paint/colours in post…

But if anyone’s looking for some cheaper alternatives and/or doesn’t have much experience/confidence in painting, Sharpie’s Metallic Gold and Silver markers/paint pens are a dead ringer for lego’s old silver and flat dark gold as used by Toa Norik and Iruni, respectively.

(Though I’ve also found that similar products from different brands do almost as well too)

8 Likes

Question on this part - For the entry photo, are recreations of the “pedestals” that the Hagah are seen standing on allowed to be added?
Additionally, if more than the required images are added, does this also apply to those?

@AlexanderBaronTredegar You need to link it in this topic:

1 Like

Heres my entry for Pouks.

2 Likes

Are these permanent on plastic? And do you have an image of them applied to parts?

2 Likes

By my count, he is 26 studs tall if you don’t count the mask.

(Is the mask included in the height requirment?)

This is 20.8 cm.

http://studs.sariel.pl/

1 Like

A few questions about this contest.

1. Since the bodies are more or less the standard Metru build, isn’t this just a contest to decide the mask, chest armor, spear tip, and armor color? The part about giving consent for those details to change in the art seems to defeat the point of designing them in the first place (unless I’m not understanding something correctly).

2. Aren’t the metallic colors meant to be like an upgraded form for Norrik and Iruni, or is that their natural toa colors? I ask because the masks are metallic, which usually means it’s not the standard look for them.

1. If it’s not their natural color, we could include an additional detail of deciding the original armor colors for those two along with picking the colors for the other four.
    1. If those are their natural colors, then from a set design, the colors would likely either be 3 toa with gold and 3 with silver, or all 6 with different metallic colors. In that case, do they need to be metal colors that have existed for Bionicle, or would we be making them up?

Do this also consider the mask and shield?

Can I upload a gunmetal Hagah with a green Miru and a golden Hagah shield, knowing that the canon color for this pieces will be gunmetal, or do I must paint this pieces?

May I photoshop the colors so they look like gun metal?

1 Like

This rule is because there’s a decent chance two Hagah with the same spear or mask will win, which is not an ideal outcome for most people. The bit about changing the colour is Meso’s compromise for those that want a uniform colour distribution like you mentioned. If you don’t let artists change the colour, we could get into a situation where you have three silver Hagah, two gold and one metallic pink, which will look ridiculous. If artists are allowed to change the metallic pink to silver, voters will be able to vote for group art that achieves better consistency. But people that are indifferent can still vote for artwork that doesn’t change the pink.

Granted, all of the above isn’t guaranteed to happen one way or the other. But I think these rules are necessary minimum requirements to satisfy people who want consistency and would otherwise have little control over whether consistency is achieved.

3 Likes

At least the Metru base is a requirement for the contest. Was likely my biggest concern for the whole thing, though the questions regarding the masks… well frankly that just felt needless.

1 Like

Kind of? You can still get creative with the exact body type.

It does a little bit, which is why it’s something that the designer has to agree to. And besides, the designer might care about some things more than others. For example, maybe someone really wants Pouks to have gunmetal armour, so they don’t agree to that being changed. Then they used a Sanok just because it was the only mask they had in that colour, so they’re okay with it being changed.

The metallic armour is not their natural colour.

There sure is…

(fixed)

1 Like

How can you tell apart shapeshifted Avsa (and others) from the original if there is no canon image of the original version?

We know that the set piece is shapeshifted, that’s about it.

1 Like

If it’s an issue for people, two stipulations could be added to the rules that means:

1. Artists can only change two of the three things about each Hagah (so long as those two things have the creator’s permission to change).
  2. These changes can only be made in the interest of consistency. You can’t change something just because you want to.

This is the system I’ve suggested before, and it would allow you to include additional criteria (e.g. chest or shoulder armour) without risking an artist completely overhauling the original design.

I really think there’s a risk that people are going to misinterpret the intent of this. It should be explained why it’s been included, or people could just think “Wait why are we letting people modify designs for no reason? What reason is there for me to consent for those elements to be changed?”

I haven’t got an example for the gold sharpie specifically on-hand, but as for silver:

• my “Toa Nidhiki” from a few years ago

(In hindsight, exactly how it looks varies from light source to light source, camera to camera… here in this photo it looks much closer to the pearl light grey used on the build than the old silver, but in person it’s near-identical to the latter.)

As for how it goes on: just fine in my experience. It scratches off very easily tho, which depending on how you look at it can either be a good thing or a bad thing.

5 Likes

Well, guess I’ve gotta find a way to make Iruini

Hot diggity that’s smooth.

Kind of a good thing. If my silver Gaaki doesn’t win, I might need to salvage some of her parts to build the canon design.

2 Likes