BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

They plan on doing one after lariska as far as i know. So two more contest until the vote

3 Likes

Two contests for characters I find really interesting and thus especially do not want a canon design for.

3 Likes

who are we doing next?

2 Likes

Tuyet

2 Likes

That or at least a vote on whether we want to skip the next character on the list. Assuming everyone is equally ok with contests for every character on that list is a fallacy.

1 Like

The thicc Gaaki was kinda cute tho, it’s not a complitely terrible idea for an original character, but definitely not for a contest. Prob more fitting for a toa of earth, or mountains, or another HEAVY element.
But it’s also hillarious, considering that Eljay specifically mentioned no thicc is allowed in the contest preperation discussion vid.

@Gilahu I mean, having cannon looks for charas doesn’t stop me from making my own versions of them, I actually revamp most of the characters from existing sets that I have, doesn’t hinder my creativity lol

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

1 Like

I’d think the answer would be No, simply because some artist may desire to leave it as is, and then Pouks would end up with what is clearly the mask of emulation. You could always just leave the mask off.

No, the artist couldn’t keep it the same.

The rules allow for banned masks to be used as long as the artist must change it.

I don’t see why the Mask of Emulation should be treated differently from any other banned masks.

2 Likes

I wanted to ask something, maybe instead of determining the one single winner by the amount of votes we could just determine the top 5 most popular ones and then Greg would deside which one of them is the closest to what he has in mind about that character?
Because as it is right now Greg’s role in these contests is kinda decorative, all he does is looking at winner and say “yeah, nice, it’s cannon now”. The only way he could actually say “no” is if he’d be shown something really-really bad and offensive, which won’t ever happen…
So maybe Greg’s role could be expanded just a liiittle bit, so he’d actually have to make a dicision on which popular condidate is the closest to his vision?

3 Likes

I don’t know about the Hagah, since the only variance is details like masks and armour, but that sounds like a good idea for the other ones, especially Lariska, Marendar, and the GSB.

1 Like

I feel like Greg wouldn’t want to do that.

2 Likes

Greg would have picked Hoseryx as the winner, I’m sure of it.

3 Likes

He did say that he sees characters in words and people can have any versions of them that they want, but still… Wouldn’t that make more sense since he’s the creator of the lore and all these characters?

I think Greg isn’t attached to matters much nowadays, shame none of the other creators or writers could be involved. But idk maybe Faber wouldn’t make the best decisions? I’m not sure…

Well, I feel like if Hoseryx won he’d have to say yes, because he knows that saying no would upset the fans who voted for it even if he thinks: “Well, that’s not exactly how I described/imagined this character.”
It feels a bit wrong to me, just putting Greg before the fact.

“Hey Mr Faber, what do you think of this contest winner?”

But What is a contest? What makes a winner. Is it something physical, or something that was inside of us? The world is changing. We’re all winners if we continue the stories we believe in… Also please fund Rebel Nature.”

18 Likes

Anybody else find it weird that, for all the conversations around creativity and diversity, an awful lot of the Kualuses have been given masks with scopes? Can we not have one (surviving) Toa of Ice without one?

On an unrelated note - the trans-black Kaukau fits perfectly into a pearl dark gray (gunmetal) color scheme. I hope someone decides to use it.

10 Likes

An awful lot of Gaakis have Galva’s mask…

4 Likes

I’m not sure how that’s related? The point I was making was that if one of those entries wins, we have yet another Toa of Ice with a scoped mask. If a Gaaki wins with Galva’s mask, that doesn’t perpetuate any particular feature for Toa of Water.

2 Likes

They both relate to the fact that the entries overall are largely uncreative. The fact a lot of people are using Galva’s Mask of Clairvoyance (which is branded as such) seems to me that they either don’t know or care for the lore that the Hagah have differently shaped masks. Plus, a lot of them use either Gahlok or Gahlok-Kal shields as chest armor, Kalmah’s armor on the shoulders, or Hydraxon’s blade or Guurahk’s staff for the spear, which are the most obvious choices to use for a water character, but that’s what makes it boring.

And also:

1 Like