BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

Depending on how the Hagah contest goes (and it seems well thus far), I’d totally second this. I know it was envisioned solely as a solution for the uniqueness of the Hagah, but if it all works out well, why not keep it going?

2 Likes

If I may I would like to make a suggestion. On the entry photos, we could have a three digit code in some blank space of the image describing the MOCist’s consent to changing the mask, color, and spear for the art- with a 0 for no, 1 for yes, and 2 for conditional. While it may only be a slight inconvenience to click on the entries to explore their topics to find the answer, I feel having this code on the entry photo would make it easier to follow thoughts and keep track of who consents to what changes without getting side-tracked.

As an example: “I do not give consent for the spear to be changed. I do give consent for the color to be changed. I give consent for the mask to be changed only to prevent duplication.” could be represented as 210. I just think being able to see this number is a great convenience compared to scavenging through the entry topics and memorizing. Just a suggestion for how to make the voting process a little smoother.

4 Likes

Since Norik and Iruni were very simplistic, especially Norik with his unfinished looking shoulders, most attempts of making a more individual build and creative look for other hagah will end up making the team look like misfits, which contradicts the whole bodyguard theme. I think in this particular contest it should come down to the most consistent choise of armor, weapon and mask texture.

2 Likes

I realy expecting to continue the contest.
Sure, there are countless struggles and struggles for TTV’s staff, but these contests were a new hope for me, who hadn’t been able to abandon the dreams since 10 years ago.

I think our all-struggle are proof of LOVE to BIONICLE, and it warms me.

7 Likes

Since it’s been brought up…

I still absolutely think we should get a t least another vote on whether to continue the contests after the Hagah one.

Though just to be clear: I have nothing against the contests themselves and am pretty alright with how they’re run at the moment.

But I am absolutely not a fan of them defining canon. It limits creative freedom and unnecessarily destroys headcanons that developed over more than a decade.

5 Likes

They plan on doing one after lariska as far as i know. So two more contest until the vote

3 Likes

Two contests for characters I find really interesting and thus especially do not want a canon design for.

3 Likes

who are we doing next?

2 Likes

Tuyet

2 Likes

That or at least a vote on whether we want to skip the next character on the list. Assuming everyone is equally ok with contests for every character on that list is a fallacy.

1 Like

The thicc Gaaki was kinda cute tho, it’s not a complitely terrible idea for an original character, but definitely not for a contest. Prob more fitting for a toa of earth, or mountains, or another HEAVY element.
But it’s also hillarious, considering that Eljay specifically mentioned no thicc is allowed in the contest preperation discussion vid.

@Gilahu I mean, having cannon looks for charas doesn’t stop me from making my own versions of them, I actually revamp most of the characters from existing sets that I have, doesn’t hinder my creativity lol

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

1 Like

I’d think the answer would be No, simply because some artist may desire to leave it as is, and then Pouks would end up with what is clearly the mask of emulation. You could always just leave the mask off.

No, the artist couldn’t keep it the same.

The rules allow for banned masks to be used as long as the artist must change it.

I don’t see why the Mask of Emulation should be treated differently from any other banned masks.

2 Likes

I wanted to ask something, maybe instead of determining the one single winner by the amount of votes we could just determine the top 5 most popular ones and then Greg would deside which one of them is the closest to what he has in mind about that character?
Because as it is right now Greg’s role in these contests is kinda decorative, all he does is looking at winner and say “yeah, nice, it’s cannon now”. The only way he could actually say “no” is if he’d be shown something really-really bad and offensive, which won’t ever happen…
So maybe Greg’s role could be expanded just a liiittle bit, so he’d actually have to make a dicision on which popular condidate is the closest to his vision?

3 Likes

I don’t know about the Hagah, since the only variance is details like masks and armour, but that sounds like a good idea for the other ones, especially Lariska, Marendar, and the GSB.

1 Like

I feel like Greg wouldn’t want to do that.

2 Likes

Greg would have picked Hoseryx as the winner, I’m sure of it.

3 Likes

He did say that he sees characters in words and people can have any versions of them that they want, but still… Wouldn’t that make more sense since he’s the creator of the lore and all these characters?

I think Greg isn’t attached to matters much nowadays, shame none of the other creators or writers could be involved. But idk maybe Faber wouldn’t make the best decisions? I’m not sure…

Well, I feel like if Hoseryx won he’d have to say yes, because he knows that saying no would upset the fans who voted for it even if he thinks: “Well, that’s not exactly how I described/imagined this character.”
It feels a bit wrong to me, just putting Greg before the fact.