BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

Not a direct answer in the slightest, but if this was allowed in the Artakha art contest, then I can’t imagine something as comparatively minor as a shoulder mod wouldn’t be considered kosher. Although, I’d also imagine it’d be dependent on how the artist goes about it :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Can entries use banned masks if we allow artists to change them?
As in, if I wanted to give one of my entries a sanok, but the only sanok I own is an rsg one, could I use it and allow it to be changed in the art stage?

1 Like

That’s true for certain art styles. But for styles like, say, the winning Helryx art’s, you’d have no choice but to include the mods if they can’t be removed.
As I mentioned in my original post, it’s also a question of how you define a mod. Some ‘mods’ could easily be argued as inherent parts of the design. See the Kualus MOC in my original post.

Yes to your first question, but I doubt you’d be allowed to use a disallowed custom mask. It’s a slippery slope to an artist copying the design exactly and then the disallowed mask becoming canon.

2 Likes

Of course they won’t be allowed to be ignored - artists shoud replicate the initial design of the characters and interpret it in their artstyle. If that is what the characters look like, that is what the group artwork will be based on. That is exactly the reason why the 3 consents were put in place, to protect creative choices of the free-for-all contestants from unwanted change. What you are asking would directly violate this creative freedom, just in new areas.

Additionally, the term “mods” is really not an ideal for this, as that would suggest they deviate from an actual design, which of course is not the case, since we are just now deciding those with this contest.
Same with “set-accurate art style”.There is no set-accurate, only design-accurate - that is design of the winning entries.

Of course they would. That would be the design and appearance of the characters.

Doubtful, for multiple reasons:

1. it is too late to implement it at this point;
  2. it would create too much unnecessary clutter;
  3. it is impossible to define “mods” because there is no basis to be modified - as stated earlier, those are creative choices not “mods”;
  4. if you were to break down each entry into such hyper-modular entity whose each module can freely be changed, what was even the point of free-for-all portion? It just does not make sense and would once again directly undermine the effort of the rules put in place;
  5. even if someone decided to include their consent to changes of other features beside the 3 already put in place (depite the ability to do so not being in the rules), the artists likely could not act on it because they would be changing the template design too much and would be DQed.

From what I can gather, you are projecting your personal conservative preferences in a form of potential rule suggestions, but in doing so you are also introducing problems, analogous to the ones we’ve spent months to solve.

I get it - you want the 4 Hagah to be the exact same build as Iruini and Norik, just with swapped out mask, armor and spear tip. I cannot take your personal preference away from you, but please do not use it to limit the creativity of entrants.
More than 50% of entries already fall within the style you prefer, so you should have no trouble finding something you like.

1 Like

Okay, put it this way:

“I gave my Hagah ball joint shoulders and a back gear to hold the function in place; these are for posing and photography, so feel free to ignore them in the art.”

I’ve already seen multiple people say something to that effect. This isn’t impossible to define, it’s two distinctly defined features.

The mocs aren’t canon, only the art.

4 Likes

Psst! Wrong topic, you need to link it over here

2 Likes

:man_facepalming: thanks

1 Like

You know something that just occurred to me today?

There’s all this hatred of gold Gaaki/Kualus, but no one ever mentions that a gunmetal Bomonga shares the colors of a Toa of Magnetism. I’ve seen a couple people say “I consent to Gaaki/Kualus’s armor color changed, so long as it’s not gold,” or “I think your gold Gaaki/Kualus looks too much like a Toa of Psionics/Light” but no one says that for Bomonga.

Just something I found kinda interesting.

7 Likes

I always think: „actually gunmetal bomonga looks like a Toa of magnetism“ but forget it when I could say it. Yeah good point

There could be a few reasons for that.

First, Gunmetal Bomomga isn’t nearly as popular as Gold Kualus or Gold Gaaki. Gunmetal is less popular than gold in general for this contest, and even less so on Bomonga since it’s so similar to his base colour. It’s the same reason there’s only been one metallic blue Gaaki.

Second, Magnetism isnt as popular of an Element. Takanuva played a major role in the series, and both Orde and Varian were important in their own stories. We’re even getting Canon Contests for them, after all. Jovan, on the other hand, made no appearance in the story other than in flashbacks and mentions, and even his colour scheme doesn’t exactly follow the “gunmetal and black” colour scheme, featuring decent amounts of white.

Of course, though, you’re right; just because not as many people have complained about it doesn’t make it any less true. Gunmetal Bomonga should be treated the same as Gold Kualus and Gold Gaaki, however that may be.

6 Likes

I think its actually more popular than gold Gaaki and Kualus

1 Like

Actually, the only white he has is on his weapon, and only two pieces (and his mouth, if you want to be real pedantic). He does have light grey, though, so I’ll concede that there’s that.

Another counter point: we’ve actually seen Jovan. We’ve never seen a Toa of Psionics. I’ve seen people say that magnetism is distinct from earth because it’s gunmetal grey, and no Toa of Earth has ever had Gunmetal.

Okay, let’s apply this same logic to Psionics: what type of blue/gold are they? If Gunmetal grey is distinct, then is metru Blue distinct from Azure (Varian’s official shade of blue)?

3 Likes

My bad, I thought his thighs and ankles were white as well, but I see now they’re light gray.

That’s not really the issue here, though. The “problem” is that Bomonga would look like a Toa of Magnetism, not that Toa of Earth look like Toa of Magnetism.

I’d say the difference is the shininess, not the shade.

So there shouldn’t be any blue shenanigans come Varian.

1 Like

To add to the Jovan discussion, he also has dark blue in his colorscheme :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I may have phrased that unclearly. My point is that Jovan is distinct from a Toa of Earth, or Sound, because he’s gunmetal grey and black, so the same logic should apply to Gaaki being Metru Blue and Flat Dark Gold.

1 Like

Not really. Nowhere is it specified what shade of gold or blue a Toa of Psionics is. It could be anything, varying from Toa to Toa.

The distinction between gray and gunmetal gray comes from the shininess, not the shade.

A better Psionics analogy would be to compare a blue-and-gold Toa with a blue-and-keetorange Toa.

3 Likes

“VARIAN!” he yelled. An azure mask popped up next to him. --No one gets left behind

(okay so it’s just the mask, she could have Metru Blue and Azure and gold, but this at least means Azure is present)

Fair, most of the Orde Mocs I’ve found use Metru Blue and pearl gold, so that’s likely how he’ll end up.

1 Like

That just means that Varian’s blue is azure, not all Toa of Psionics.

I’m not really sure that this will end up being a problem, though; if Wikipedia is to be trusted, “azure” is pretty broad anyways:

I sure hope so.

It would have been awesome if red and blue highlights were part of Magnetism’s official colour scheme. Pretty much everyone already does it anyways, though.

1 Like

Am I in the minority for wanting Gaaki to be metallic lime green?

5 Likes

Well probably, most people want her to be silver, gold or gmg. So yeah its unlikely. (but if anyone makes gaaki lime green in the group-art segment I might vote it because the combo looks cool)