BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

While I agree that the specific use of “mutated” in front of the Felnas and Shelek is more-or-less redundant in that we only have the mutated forms for the Makuta Kanohi, it would be prudent not to use a 3D rendition of someone’s depiction of an unmutated corrupt-power mask. While the rules do not disallow its usage, due to the nature of the masks* they are known to not be worn by the Matoran-Toa-Turaga species (if they can help it). So, if you were to use an unmutated mask form, while it would be acceptable, the canon power/description of the mask (which would be a topic for a different contest) would not be considered that of the custom mask’s original design and intent. In other words, if you wish that a specific unmutated form retains the potential to be officiated as such, then you should not use its image.

*I am fully aware that the Hagah’s masks are not of the same power, but they most likely still wouldn’t wear the image of them, despite their closer relations to the Makuta. If you are someone who doesn’t believe in that line of logic (not to assume anything) then there would be no further use in making an argument about this matter.

1 Like

“This is where the fun begins”
I’m conflicted about the art and Mocs decision but hey I’m an artist who doesn’t have access to many Metru Torsos so this is a win!

Thank you so much TTV for hosting these contests I’m really thankful for all the work you guys have put in :smile:

6 Likes

So im guessing the mask should be painted ? or can it just be the main color of the toa, for example, can Toa Bomonga’s mask be black ?

BEHOLD A MAN

3 Likes

Aight wow like, on the one hand we’re slow for 8 hours into a contest topic, on the other hand, I can’t believe I have to say this, but if you have personal issues with people in this topic, Keep them to yourself.

This is a contest topic, let’s keep it about the contest and not interpersonal issues, shall we? If you aren’t going to support someone’s entry, you can do that by just not voting for it rather than airing dirty laundry. If you have information regarding an individual going against board rules on the boards feel free to bring it forward to the Mod Squad directly.

11 Likes

So, just to be clear, does this mean Norik and Iruini are required for the final art?

For the record, I fully intend to give consent for the masks and weapons for all four, and the armor for TWO of the Hagah.

There’s two things I’m particular about when it comes to the Hagah: I don’t want Pouks to be gold or pink*, and Gaaki MUST be gold, so I might restrict the armor colors on my Gaaki and Pouks Mocs. Or, I might not and just vote against any entries that change it to something I dislike (which is what I would be doing anyway, if someone else’s moc won)

Kualus and Bomonga can be whatever, I’ve no strong feelings on those two. Black and White tend to go well with anything.

*Nothing against the “Pink Pouks” supporters, I just don’t think pink and Mettur brown go well together, same reason I don’t want him to be gold.

Actually, now’s as good a time as any to share some of my own personal voting preverences=

1. Bomonga should be shorter, or at least not super tall. This one’s really subjective, but I prefer Toa of Earth to be short and stout, rather than tall and lanky.
  2. Gaaki must be gold, and Pouks not be gold/pink (this will mainly apply to the final art, or entries that restrict the armor color).
  3. I’d prefer not to have the shoulder mods. It’s something people will add on anyway, like they already do with the Mettur build sets we have; I’d prefer it not to be on an official build. I don’t feel too strongly about this, but it might affect my vote.
  4. No “major” deviations in the build (like say fully CCBS legs and arms). Some deviation, lie say CCBS thighs, is fine. What qualifies as “major” is going to be very subjective, of course.
  5. I’ll probably be more inclined to vote for entries that allow for changes in the armor color (with the exception of a gold Gaaki, since that’s already the outcome I want).
  6. Spear tips and masks, I’m a little less particular on. If an entry has a spear tip that everybody and their brother uses, I’d prefer it be changeable. If it uses a spear tip no one else uses, then it doesn’t matter if it’s changeable (unless it’s a spear tip I dislike, like the Nuva chest). Same with masks. Also, I’m a little more okay with two Hagah sharing the same spear tip than I am with two Hagah sharing the same mask
  7. I’m probably going to be more inclined to vote for entries with known mask shapes, so as not to get a new mask shape with unknown power. Not super particular on this, but it might affect my vote.
  8. A working gear function is not a requirement, but it is a plus.
  9. Pouks must have thunderthighs (okay, but seriously, if an entry does have larger thigh armor, I am a bit more inclined to vote for it, just for the meme)
4 Likes

I agree with most of these points.

I’d probably be a bit more strict with this.

And this I think there is room to subvert expectations of sterotypical toa looks regardless of element.

I probably would disagree here to but I’m not completely against larger thighs either

I know people are complaining about gold Gaaki and gold Kualus looking too much like Psionics and Light Toa respectively. I lean towards agreeing, but I don’t think I’d mind Gaaki being gold. Gold with white on Kopaka Master always bugged me for an Ice Toa, and I suspect the same will be true for a gold Kualus.

Strongly agree with this one. Partly because I’m a purist, but also because the odds are that the same mod won’t be used on any other of the winning designs, which will make the modded one look odd and / or inconsistent.

Edit: looking back, I assume you mean the mod people do to make the shoulders posable. I don’t mind this because the art contest will probably resolve it. As for what I originally thought you meant, which is things like elaborate shoulder designs with multiple parts, my stance remains the same.

I will actively vote against entries with CCBS shells or parts that clearly don’t fit the G1 aesthetic.

Mostly the same for me, but I will still be very disappointed if there are identical spears that can’t be changed.

Probably the same for me. Partly because most of the custom ones used are Khing masks, a creator whose toxic side I’ve personally witnessed, and who I don’t want to support if possible.

I will most likely actively vote against entries that cannot at least be reconstructed to include a gear function. It runs contrary to my vision of the other Hagah as being comparable to official sets.

2 Likes

this would bug me as well maybe not as much

Glad this one’s coming along, hope you guys didn’t feel too rushed with this.

Excited to see the entries for this one, best of luck to all!

3 Likes

I anticipate whatever chaos ends up being wrought upon this community

Also, don’t you think that it’s a bit backwards that painted pieces can be used, but not elaborate printed pieces?
Cuz someone could theoretically just paint the pattern on.

Also how are you gonna tell the difference between paint, dye, and production color?

Yes, you are correct in that stereotypical toa rules needn’t always be followed.
But I do prefer short, stocky Earth Toa anyway.
I’d be totally fine with a taller Bomonga, though.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s fine. And no, you don’t need to focus on them. They’re not getting canonized.

Yes. However, for MOCs, entrants are allowed to use a non-metallic mask that must be corrected in the art.

It will be voting on individual Toa.

Okay.

You may, but staff may request specifically Whenua or Iruini-sized characters.

All 4 in one picture is fine.

You can have them.

No, the feet need to be completely silver.

Yes.

You can blanket all of them, but you can also make them specific for individual Toa entries.

We’ll work on more appropriate wording.

Yes.

6 Likes

@Eljay Thanks for clarifying all of that for me! Now I’m good to go :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a little comment about Metru torsos. With as much hate as seems to exist for their planar-limited rotation arm attachment, I am rather surprised to have not seen a ball joint acceptable modified torso piece anywhere. The only things I’ve seen and know of are odd looking small ball joint adaptors that don’t look like they could hold much weight. A ball joint modified Metru torso would likely allow for a larger range of motion, most likely more so then the ball-and-hand piece method commonly used. This may be due to some size constraints that I am unaware of, and I have no desire to seem pressing on the 3D modelling community- I just thought to post this small point.

1 Like

Not everyone has access to photoshop and/or knows how to use it, so I thought I’d share with you all some simple but helpful online websites for modifying your contest entries (and outside of the contests, too, maybe)

Recoloring: https://www.colorizephoto.com/

Removing Background: Upload Image – remove.bg

9 Likes

One somewhat specific question: is it okay to include a different metallic color for the shield, so long as it’s the official piece? For example, using the gold Iruini shield on an otherwise gunmetal moc.

This would only apply if a Moc entry uses the actual shield piece, to be clear.

2 Likes

I’d like to take this opportunity to inform everyone that from this point forward we will not be entertaining, even briefly, any mocs that could be considered “memes” or stretch the requirements as laid out in the rules. You are welcome to post meme mocs but they will not be added to the entrants list.

This is a simple contest - We all know what the existing Hagah look like. Work in the framework if you want to enter.

5 Likes

is Pouks with pink armor considered a meme?

1 Like