BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

My point was and always has been about how the majority of Gaaki entries are not only repetitive and boring (with two even looking near identical), but shows how the majority of the participating community based their design choices (mostly the mask) around a misunderstanding of canon. How could I have possibly made this point before the contest started, before there were any entries?

3 Likes

Obviously, you should have used Gaaki’s mask of Clairvoyance to see the future and see what Gaaki’s Mask of Clairvoyance would look like on people’s entries.

5 Likes

If you’re implying people making this argument don’t want anyone else to make their own creative content or have their own headcanons, you’re missing the point completely. What they don’t want specifically is canon content. Headcanons don’t interfere with other people’s headcanons as long as they’re not imposed on everyone (which these contests do).

If instead you’re implying they don’t want canon content, the only other source of that is Ask Greg, which is basically defunct given his radio silence.

To be honest, it is very unfortunate for the MOC contest to have similar ideas from many people.(like gaaki case)
but, In other words, many people’s head canons are similar.
I also made own gaaki, has hydruka armor shoulder. 눈_눈a;;

but I don’t think it’s bad situation for canon contest.
Like… some people still have complaining about Artakha’s complicated canon design.
they say, It’s different from what they thought, and it costs too much to make him. tbh, I agree with cost problem. sandgreen socket… pearl dark gray shield…gyaaa

so if a lot of people come up with same shape ,and don’t cost too much to make it, I think it’s a good situation for canon.

the problem is, again, it’s a MOC and arts contest , and it’s not a first-come contest , first-served or how well photographed contest , so it causes a lot of disadvantage to latecomers.

I dont think the Kanohi would change anything. it doesnt on the MOCs, so it shouldnt on the art entries

3 Likes

It’s first a canon contest and then a MOC and art contest. I don’t necessarily the first ones to upload their MOC have advantage in the final vote, since they’re all random ordered. About the photo, yes a good photo give an advantage over other entries, but is because is the only medium we have to know the MOC. If you can’t take a good photo, many of the good aspect of the MOC will be lost.

I don’t see a problem with that. Lets say three MOCs are replicas (hard to imagine, I know). If you like the design you can vote for the three. If you don’t like it, don’t vote for any of them. At the end of the contest, only one of the entries will win, and it could have been a clone set, as well a different take on the character.

4 Likes

umm…at least, there should have been no height limit in this contest.
I still don’t understand why other hagah shouldn’t be bigger than iruini and smaller than whanua.
However, it is too late.

Thanks for the info!:slightly_smiling_face::+1:
(Man, it’s exciting to have these contests back!:smiley:)

2 Likes

Exactly. I know this is going to shock some people, but: headcanon isn’t canon.

What’s more, people are just going to headcanon their way out of the canon with more headcanon anyways. That’s the nature of the beast, end of story.

5 Likes

Oh, by the way, are we going to have a contest about Toa Nidhiki and Tuyet?

2 Likes

yes. The next contest is the Tuyet one. But maybe we wont get Nidhiki. There will be a poll after the Lariska contest about the contests continuing. So maybe there will only be five contest

1 Like

This may be obvious, but are we prohibited/discouraged from voting for our own entries?

nah i think it’s okay

2 Likes

Reminds of how to this day people have been making MOCs with the goal of in mind of having the ‘01 sets in ‘08-ish scale.:point_up:

The way I see it, if I prefer a design that’s not the canon set/model over one that is, I can still keep MOC-ing same as ever, and in addition, it’s just really awesome to finally know what these characters look like after all these years (and equally awesome of TTV and Greg to do this for us fans).:+1:

2 Likes

I think the bigger picture has been missed. I could be entirely wrong with this observation, but as I’ve said, what I’ve noticed from the majority of Gaaki entries using Galva’s Mask of Clairvoyance is that not only do most in the community agree that Gaaki should wear it (meaning it’s unlikely change in the art contest), but it is also being used with the intention of it becoming the standard shape for Clairvoyance. I strongly think this is the case based on how people argued for not only allowing Pouks to wear the standard shape of Emulation, but the other three as well to have masks in their standard shapes, taking Iruini’s Kualsi shaped Kualsi as the standard rather than the exception. When the quote from Greg that confirmed that was not the case was found, there were quite a few people saying it should be discarded and that it was a ridiculous part of canon. Disregarding something Greg said. For a canon contest.

In all fairness, there could also be some people who simply aren’t aware of that quote, and still genuinely believe that Gaaki could wear a standard shaped Mask of Clairvoyance, but it still is a problem. If this really is the intention of the community, and the winning entry does end up using Galva’s mask, that means it will be canonically impossible for it to be the standard shape, whether people agree with Greg’s statement or not. Again, I could be wrong, but I just see this being one big misunderstanding, which will eventually turn into an even bigger disappointment.

You people who say “headcanon isn’t canon” and that it doesn’t matter that these contest override people’s headcanons, the community’s largely agreed upon headcanon that Gaaki wears a standard shaped Clairvoyance (which is taken to be Galva’s mask) will be invalided by their own push to make said headcanon officially canon. Ironic.

3 Likes

Oh,:neutral_face:

Sorry for you about that, man (it sounds pretty frustrating).:confused:
If it’s any consolation, I personally believe that the four Hagah’s kanohi are in non-standard shapes (unless proven otherwise).

And also, one may note that a certain Kanohi design appearing in the most entries, has not, for the past two canon contests, meant that it has gotten the most votes (both Helryx’s and Artakha’s winning masks were, in fact, designs that each appeared in only one entry respectively), so there’s still plenty of hope for things to turn out more to your liking.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that a few Hagah entries are carrying their shields upside down. I wonder if it’s because some people think it looks better that way, or if there’s a misunderstanding as to how it was traditionally held. :thinking:

5 Likes

Probably the former, I believe it has been discussed prior to the contest.

1 Like

To be very, very, very honest,

I think canon setting that Hagah team’s kanohi shape is non-standard shape, is very inefficient.

and iruini is an exception.

I respect Mr Greg’s said, but this has been a controversial issue in many ways.

All the Toa Hagah being silver except Iruini: totally fine, we can even come up with a story justification for it (that doesn’t make sense because he was gold before he quit the team)

Gaaki being gold: No that must be avoided at all cost elements can’t look like one another!

2 Likes