BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

The original Toa Haga did have two-tipped spears. What’s up with that?

Please stay on topic and keep personal issues to yourself or DM’s. ~Hawkeye

The rule change to allow photoshopping in cases where it matches is very welcome! I’m glad there’s been openness to changing rules of that sort

7 Likes

My point is that we design these details and people vote. They are essentially just voting on armor, mask, spear, and color, since the rest is basically just standard Metru. So if those get changed in the art, then you could end up with a new design that not many voters would have voted for, had it been designed like that in the first place.

And if it’s just to avoid two toa sharing one of those details, the issue is still there. So for that, I’d probably have a bonus vote between the two, where each person gives the second pick they would have done for the design, and voters decide for each.

For example, if there was gunmetal Pouks and Gaaki (that being the only overlapping detail), the two creators give their alternative color picks and the voters decide if they prefer Pouks with gunmetal or that creator’s alternate, then do the same for Gaaki. The result could be that neither are voted to keep the gunmetal, or only one gets it, but at least it was properly voted on and not a random pick by the end artist. And if both votes still prefer gunmetal, then either creator could decide to go with their alternative to break the tie.

Welp, here we are.

Really unsure if I’m going to enter here. Yes, It’d be really great to put my money where my mouth has been for the last several months and make a MOC that pushes the limits of what can be done with a G1 feel and a torso mandate since nobody else seems very interested to do that, but at the same time… I’m 100% going to lose to the most notable and skilled builders entering this. I don’t stand a chance.

As for art…

ghidevilmoji

Not exactly what you’d call ‘winning’. So it’s a maybe.

With the last contest, I’m really glad I didn’t enter, because the winning Artakha and its closest competition were magnificent and I didn’t want to take away from that (as if). So really don’t expect that from me.

3 Likes

They mean two sided like the Rahkshi staffs, not two pronged.

5 Likes

For any submissions that have multiple Toa will people get a chance to vote on individual Toa from each group of Toa or if we vote on a group the entire group will get a vote?

1 Like

I still think this rule is bad

I agree, but unfortunately it’s not up to us

All of my previous sentiments on entering remain true. I plan to enter with my builds, and we’ll see what happens. I can’t imagine that my detail work will cause their disqualification, but we’re just going to have to wait and see. Good luck to everyone.

-Arc

Bravo! You made the best possible combination of rules!
One question: Is it not possible to use Norik or other Toa Metru for comparison? Or Alternatively an on screen measurement?

1 Like

When it comes to the breakdown pic, if we’re doing all 4 Hagah in one entry, would that constitute 4 separate breakdowns pics, or could we do a breakdown of just 1 Hagah, or something from all 4 Hagah in 1 pic?

Wheee, awesome! It’s happening :sunny:

@Ghid I had more or less exactly that mindset when building my entries :grinning:
-whether I succeeded or not is a different question entirely, but feel free to check them out and tell me what you think! https://board.ttvchannel.com/t/toa-hagah-all-together-now/59423
I just have 3 quick questions regarding the rules, oddly enough all related to my Gaaki:

1. I couldn’t find a definitive answer in the rules or in the other topic which is now closed, so regarding Mahri visors and tubes, is this allowed, or do I remove them?
  2. The rules mention silver being “restricted to” certain areas, but not the amount of silver there has to be (I understand that this is naturally difficult to put a hard rule/number on), so I just wanted to ask if these feet would qualify (having silver propellers), or do they need to be changed to completely silver feet?
  3. The rules also mention “single-tipped” spears - is this (the Skrall armor piece) allowed?
    Finally, thank you guys for doing this - it feels awesome to be a Bionicle fan right now! :smiley:
    EDIT: One more thing: The consent is given for the entire entry (i.e. all four Toa, in case one enters four mocs), right? Or is there a way to allow e.g. Pouks’ mask and color to be changed, but only allow Bomonga’s mask to be changed?

Single tipped means you cannot have a tip on both sides of the spear.

4 Likes

That last one is to prevent spear builds that look like rahkshi spears

2 Likes

@ToaKebaka Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up! I thought it meant something else :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Easiest solution would be make 4 different entry topics one for each hagah and formulate the specific for each hagah.

1 Like

Seeing recent comments, this confuses me a little: What exactly is meant with “single-tipped”? Is (for example) a trident disallowed (which is how I read the current rules), or is it as ToaKebaka and Tarkur said merely builds with weapon heads on each end that are disallowed (which I wouldn’t call a spear).

Could you clarify this in the rules?
Thanks!

2 Likes

I get that, it’s just that the rules say that you only need to make one topic for all mocs… I was uncertain if this means that the TTV guys would rather have 'em all in one topic (maybe to avoid too many entries, and to keep it consistent throughout the entry list)?

1 Like

A spear with multiple prongs should be fine since Iruini has a spear like that. I’'m 99% sure that Tarkur and ToaKebaka are right. (Although the rules should probably still be clarified, since you aren’t the first person to be confused)

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s what I assume, too. Would be weird otherwise.
I just don’t read the rules like this.

A spear is something with a weapon head only on one side. Regardless of how many tips it has.

Once weapon heads are on both sides it becomes a staff.