BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

It has to be one topic; the rule got changed.

2 Likes

It was discussed a lot about metallic colors here, so I wanted to ask.
Are chromium colors allowed for MOCs (in studio too)? Like, they are metallic colours, but they are not the metallic colours that were ever used for any of Bionicle armor, I don’t know.

Hi. I wanted to build Bomonga but the thigh/bicep connector does not exist in black. Bomonga is supposedly built in a single color with added metallic armor, but this specific part does not exist in his specific color.
no black variant

Is it okay if my MOC has these parts in metru gray and the neck/hands/ankles in black? I could use the 2008 version of the connector piece which does exist in black but mine all broke soon after I unpacked the set it came in and I am not comfortable with bringing broken/fragile parts to a contest.

Something I’m wondering about - is it possible to give partial consent here? Like, I’d be fine with the spear tip of one of my entries being changed, but only if two (or more) Hagah end up with the same spear tip.

3 Likes

You could use the 2008-style ones, those came in black.

1 Like

Which are brittle just like all 2008 connectors and in my case broke a few days after buying the sets as a child. But I’ll consider it.

Not at this stage, no.

Yes.

That’s fine.

Yes, people have been doing that already.

3 Likes

I still think it should be mandated that artists can’t change the original design except in the interest of consistency, so they can’t just change things on a whim as you suggest.

Doing the above will hopefully encourage more people to give consent.

2 Likes

One thing to consider is that some people are only using certain pieces or designs because those are the only parts they have, rather than out of any creative intention.

Ultimately though, I agree that it would be best if changes were only made for consistency (which I suspect is what will happen anyways), just so voters are more sure of what they’re voting for.

4 Likes

That’s true. In that case I think the rules should read as something to the effect of this:

“Entrants must also include in their entry topic if they are comfortable with the following being changed:

• Mask
  • Spear tip
  • Metallic colour

They must disclose under what circumstances they would allow these to be made:

• Change if the current design uses placeholder parts
  • Change if the current design could lead to duplicates
  • Change if the current design would lead to colour inconsistency
  • Allow the artists to change based on their own preferences”

And again, I strongly suggest explaining what purpose allowing/disallowing changes serves in the rules. Just makes sure everyone is on the same page and understands the pros/cons of allowing or disallowing changes.
All that would need to be added to the rules is the following:

“Consenting or not consenting to changes was implemented to help guard against cases where two winning Toa could share the same mask or spear. Consent to colour changes was implemented given the concern that the final team lineup might not have a consistent colour ratio between them.”

2 Likes

I think the current consent system works well enough.

3 Likes

Fair enough, but why?

1 Like

Because its a yes or no question, that states can an artist change my design for the sake of cohesion. It doesn’t hinder people from entering their most preffered version of hagah while also allowing them if they want to give artist the permission to adept their work in case of cohesion. If the creator don’t want their work to be edited they can just say no to all of them. If you have certain aspects your willing to concede on for the sake of cohesion you can only give consent to some changes.

As for the artist they now have the consent on either all, some or none of these changes for the final art portion and can opt for keeping the mocs as is or change accordingly.

Let’s take my Gaaki for example:

Now I gave consent on all my Hagah to change the armor color on them if one of them won. So lets say the hypothetical situation that this Gaaki won and 1 flat silver and 2 flat dark gold hagah won, in the interest of team cohesion I’ve now given consent that, the artist rendering the group shot that it’s okay to make Gaaki’s armor silver.

Now let’s give another hypothetical, let’s say 3 different metallic colored Hagah whom doesn’t share colors with Irunii or Norik won and my Gaaki won then, the artist can go over each entry, look at what consents were given, either do a 1-1-1-1-1-1 split, a 2-2-2 or a 3-3 spilt depending on the artist wiggle room or prefrences. So here the artist can rework all the entries or no entries to their liking given enough consents. Of course the amount of consent given will affect the artist leverage over the end result.

But in the case of a pattern emerging from the finalist the artist can easily make the neccesary changes while stll satisfying the original creator wants.

4 Likes

Honestly just presenting a third option to say ‘you can only change it if x number of circumstances are met’ is super pretentious sounding and a sure-fire way to have at least me not vote for it.

I know people are wailing about What if the armor color doesn’t perfectly even out for proper distribution?! To which I say if a preventative or reactionary measure wasn’t taken during the half a year of deliberation about the topic, then it isn’t necessary. Vote for what you want to win.

5 Likes

I mean we only have it now because somone(not me for once) had major concerns with how the voting will happen.

Am I allowed to use the Vahki hips as well?

I mean there is no proper color distribution to begin with. There are only subjective preferences of some people.

No you aren’t

Depends on what you mean, If you can use it instead of the metru hip?, then no, If you can use it elsewhere on the moc?, should be ok but don’t quote me on that

1 Like

Yep, I mean instead of Metru hip. Well, that complicates a lot to me

1 Like