BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

Hello everyone-first time posting to the TTV message boards, and I don’t plan it to be my last. I’m a long time fan of the Bionicle lore and I decided to enter in my rendition of the Hagah.

I tried not to stray too far from the two existing Hagah builds, not utilizing too complex building techniques, and if possible, prioritizing pieces that actually exist. I did not use any original masks for these toa.

Also, apologies for the rather lower quality of images-my computer is a potato and it’s difficult to render high def images of stud.io. Upon request from the moderators, I can attempt to deliver better ones.

Kualus

Mask: Great Miru
Metallic color: Silver
Spear tip: Kopaka mata’s sword

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes

Because of his affinity with birds and his tendency to talk, Kualus always struck me as more of an Air toa rather than his native element of ice. With that in mind, I designed him with slightly longer legs and a thinner width, and gave him a Miru. The claw chest piece and rahkshi head shoulder armor were chosen for his closeness with Rahi.

Bomonga

Mask: Noble Matatu
Metallic color: Gunmetal
Spear tip: Whenua’s drill

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes

I was determined to use gunmetal grey here. Only 4 pieces needed recoloring-the Noble Matatu mask, the Hagah shield, the Rhotuka spinner, and the drill spear tip. Bomonga has wider shoulders than the rest of my Hagah, having a 5’ axle connecting the shoulders rather than a 4’.

Gaaki

Mask: Great Kakama
Metallic color: Silver
Speartip: Pridak’s sword

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes

There’s not too much I can say about Gaaki. I simply picked out pieces I thought would flow well. Silver was chosen as the Rahaga Gaaki spinner is blue and silver colored.

Pouks

Mask: Lhikan’s Hau
Metallic color: Bronze (same as Iruni)
Spear tip: Skull slicer sword

I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No

This was the most agonizing to design, as I wanted to use Lhikan’s Hau but was restricted by the dearth of bronze pieces (while also trying to make the model distinctly different than Lhikan). In the end I relented and gave Pouks bronze Inika thigh armor. Overall, I opted for a bulkier metru build with the Vahki limbs and Nuva armor. I apologize if my version of Pouks is too close to anyone elses, I can assure you that it was not my intention. The bronze pieces really limit what one can do.

Height comparison and front/back/side
As you can see, Kualus is the tallest of the bunch and Bomonga is the shortest. The following pics also show that Kualus is shorter than Iruni and Bomonga is taller than Whenua. I was having a bit of trouble with the connecting Whenua’s mask and Iruni’s spear, but I hope these pictures are sufficient enough.

Here’s an image of mock-ups of my Hagah-I built figures on what I envisioned the Hagah looked like, then transferred the figures to stud.io and gave the parts color. As you can see, I was missing certain parts such as chestplates and masks.

192504223_592918594955768_6366830097471132753_n

io files

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qC0tsqiO0apO7KDFa3EqZWaX1rARj6pF

I wish everyone the best of luck in the contest!

Updates
TBA

24 Likes

First: Welcome

Second:Kakama Gaaki

Finally: I like these. They look like a team. But they also don’t look like a Team at the same time. Meaning they look like they aren’t from the same place but still fit together as Protectors fo an important person. I would say they are candidates for what I would maybe vote for.

1 Like

That shoulder design for Bomonga is genius!
Why didn’t I think of that?

2 Likes

I really like Gaaki and Kualus!

And also, nice use of the '08 Avohkii on Bomonga’s shoulders!

2 Likes

Thanks for your input! Yeah, that was the general feel that I was going for.

Kakama Gaaki supremacy.

1 Like

Your Bomonga has my vote, I really love how good the 2008 Avohki looks as shoulder armor and gives some sort of night’s watch vibe that perfectly resembles the character.

1 Like

Bomonga is great! Really love the detail in the shoulder. Thanks for showing how you did that!

1 Like