Bionicle fan film highlights #7: Self-starter

Just watch it, trust me. One of the coolest things you will ever see.

10 Likes

Who made this?! They should be hired to make more!!!

3 Likes

The creator is clearly incredibly talented!

3 Likes

that was anime as heck
i liked it a lot

4 Likes

Love that they took the time to add the steel on steel sound effects for every single sword strike

5 Likes

I think this is one of the best fight choreographies when it comes to action-heavy fan animations. It is what you would expect the fights to look like in a modern Bionicle TV show.

I can see some inspiration taken from the Blur studios animation test in this.
The art style is not too stylized and is very “Advance-like”, but I like the few stylizations it does have, such as the HF fingers added on top of hands.
The lore accurate details are always a treat, such as the shapeshifting Rahkshi’s color scheme or Tahu’s Hau usage.

There are some liberties, which add to the whole experience: most notably Rahkshi’s energy blasts and the way Tahu deals with the real Bohrok. Speaking of which, this was the only part that was slightly confusing, unless I’m missing something. Tahu opens a hatch in a bunker where three Matoran are hiding and gives them one of his Krana he collected. The Matoran then somehow use the Krana to produce bolts of energy disabling the Bohrok. I presume these are similar bolts to what we have seen in Bohrok animations.

If someone has a better explanation, please share :+1:

3 Likes

holy balls this is incredible

5 Likes

They could be using the systems in the Krana to disable the powers of the other Bohrok. Possibly using an effect that would force them to slow or shut down.

4 Likes

Give this person my money

5 Likes

The same guy who made Canister Wasteland!

6 Likes

didn’t he turn into Creepy Biotube Stalker though?

2 Likes

Is it the same one? No wonder it’s such high quality.

2 Likes

Yep

Also

Apparently he wrote an explanation in a community post (too long to screenshot)

I guess Creepy Biotube Stalker was lying :dizzy_face:

7 Likes

By far the most genius detail about this is that despite the fact that this is one of the most contact-heavy physical combat fights ever, something which was avoided by Lego in the early years, Tahu defeats the Rahkshi not by outfighting it, but by being clever and using a non-direct method akin to those of the first four years.

When the Rahkshi goes on the berserk slashing run and slices up the bridge, Tahu notices and uses that as the core of his plan. He creates a fire vortex around himself to stop his foe in its tracks and fall along with the crumbling bridge. He then jumps down to intercept the shapeshifter in close combat. Tahu uses this as means to cleverly steer and navigate the fight across the falling chunks of the bridge, getting underneath them eventually. It is then, when Tahu runs down drawing a stream of fire behind him - the spiral of flames that results from this, locks the Rahkshi in a single spot, precisely where the chunks of the bridge fall down to and crush the enemy :ok_hand: Simply brillinat!

BTW: Looks like Christian Faber has seen the animation. This is exactly the type of creativity he is always looking for in the community!

4 Likes

That was hot :fire:

Wait, that’s him? He’s back?!!!

3 Likes