BIONICLE Fanfiction Story: Surrender or Run

aaayyyyy your back
this is rlly good

Ooh yes another chapter
Now the Toa Nuva are getting somewhereā€¦ what could happen next?

1 Like

Got a little bit of time today, so hereā€™s chapter 15! This is much shorter than my recent chapters, but I hope youā€™ll enjoy nonetheless!

Chapter 15

Back in his dimly lit office, Kopaka set down the bag of evidence he had collected from the rubble and started to unpack the contents one by one. He was careful not to unintentionally damage the items he collected, as a single mistake could lead to a botched investigation with serious implications. The fate of the city rested in his hands, so to speak, and he had to correctly bring justice to the right person.

Who it is that I bring justice to, I donā€™t know yet, the Toa of Ice thought. Only time will tell.

Kopaka turned on his computer and pulled out the license plate. He held it up to the light and read the text printed on it in big black letters.

SDR-98 1AGH4

He typed in the web URL of New Ateroā€™s Automotive Vehicle Database, and entered the digits on the license plate in the AVDā€™s search bar.

SDR-98 1AGH4

1 result

3099 registered Cendox V1, Bara Magna Motor Company

Tahu Sector

Defilak and Sarda (Le-Matoran, Ta-Matoran)

ā€œSo Defilak and Sarda lived together, in the same house,ā€ Kopaka mused out loud. ā€œThatā€™s why the bike was registered on both their names.ā€

ā€œBut that doesnā€™t explain the bomb I found,ā€ he said aloud, pulling out the burnt and charred remains of the bomb detonated in the blast. ā€œThis doesnā€™t make sense. Exploding Kanoka are only within reach for the upper echelons of the government and New Ateroā€™s laboratory technicians and scientists. How did two Matoran living in a hut in the poorest of slums manage to get their hands on such expensive materials? No, this canā€™t be ā€¦ā€ he trailed off.

Kopaka put his head down on his desk and cradled it with his hands. ā€œThereā€™s no way they managed to get ahold of top-secret, confidential material,ā€ Kopaka muttered. He got up and started pacing across the room.

Suddenly, a thought came to his head. It filled him with anger.

They didnā€™t acquire the exploding Kanoka on their own, someone gave it to them.

He mentally connected the dots.

Sarda was a courier, and he delivered the package to Vakama. And I know that Sarda does his courier tasks on routes leading into and out of the Council Building. So someone inside the Council Building must have supplied him with the bomb. Thereā€™s a traitor in our midst.

ā€œSarda was used for delivering the bomb, but by who?ā€ Kopaka pondered. He sat back down at his computer and searched for the deceased civilians database in the governmentā€™s secure intranet. He accessed the intranet with a special password only known to government officials, and thus was able to gain access to the cityā€™s records.

He quickly typed in Sardaā€™s name, the type of Matoran he was, and the death date.

1 result

Sarda, Ta-Matoran

Died 09:42 Today

Updated Live, 10:00 MT - NAC

Bomb Blast

ā€œSo his death was recorded in the database, but what happened to Defilak?ā€ A quick search for Defilak did not turn up any results.

ā€œGood thing Defilak didnā€™t die,ā€ Kopaka muttered. ā€œBut that does not mean heā€™s safe, either. Whoever killed Sarda is most likely seeking to target Defilak as well. There are a lot of couriers living in one-man households, but Sarda wasnā€™t one of them.ā€

Just at that moment, he received a text message from Onua on his mobile device. He opened the attachment sent, which was a forensic lab report of a fingerprint sample. His eyes quickly scanned the report, and noticed Defilakā€™s name at the bottom, as well as where the fingerprints were collected from.

No, this report is wrong. Either it is wrong or someone created fake evidence. A Matoran does not go around killing Turaga, especially a Turaga that was once at the seat of power. Defilak and Sarda were staunch supporters of Dume and the rest. This is falsified, one hundred percent, Kopaka reasoned.

ā€œDefilak is being framed for this. My initial suspicions were confirmed. But who? That remains the biggest question, and the last piece of the puzzle,ā€ the Toa of Ice noted, already beginning to get apprehensive of what he was about to find.

He bent over and reached for the leather bound book he found amidst the rubble.

Iā€™m about to look through Vakamaā€™s personal diary, Kopaka said silently to himself. Turaga Vakama, wherever you are, I humbly ask forgiveness for what Iā€™m about to do.

He steeled himself for what he was about to witness, dusted off the grime on the book, and opened to the first page.

i did not make an among us reference

2 Likes

ooh Kopakaā€™s really close

I really like where the story is going

Always sharp like a shiny piece of ice :wink:

2 Likes

yeah, pretty much.

comon kopaka!

Hey everyone! Iā€™ve finished chapter 16! This chapter, however a short read, is written from the point of Vakama in a diary entry that Kopaka reads, and may be a bit more to handle than the rest of the story so far. Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy!

Chapter 16
Turaga Vakamaā€™s Diary

Entry 1, 8/2/4010

A loud crack outside my door jolted me awake. I was having a not-so nice dream, and that served as a welcome relief, until it wasnā€™t.

I quickly got up from the deflated mattress I slept on, and rushed outside the door, running as fast as my crippled leg could take me. Which isnā€™t that fast, but I was able to hobble along anyway. This limp had been eating away at my leg for quite some time now, but Iā€™ve tried my best to cover it up so that no one would find out. But I donā€™t think people are buying it. My leg had been severely mauled by a Muaka when Nuju and I went out hiking in the mountains that overlooked New Atero. If it were not for Nujuā€™s quick thinking I probably would not have survived.

Ever since then, it hasnā€™t gotten any better, rather it seemed to be deteriorating even more. And to add on to that Iā€™ve been experiencing fiery pains all across recently. Ironic, isnā€™t it, for a Turaga of Fire?

I ran outside and I saw a crowd of Matoran and Agori alike huddling over something. I didnā€™t know what it was so I went closer to look at the commotion. I guess one of the Matoran saw me, because he motioned for the others to make way. I took one glance at the ground and saw the body of a Ko-Matoran with a bullet wound in his chest and one in his head. I looked up just then and saw two figures quickly darting away. I couldā€™ve sworn I saw a gun in their hands, but I could not tell what they were. They did not look like any Toa, Matoran, or Glatorian I knew of.

I bent over and looked at the ID card, and saw it was Mazeka who was killed. At first I did not recognize him due to the absence of a mask on his face, and I berated myself for doing so.

I then went back home, and collapsed into another bout of my chronic depression. Ever since I lost Tahu on a fateful day about a year ago, things have been on a downward spiral for me. I really donā€™t feel like I deserve the success I have now, especially since I stood by and watched while the Toa fought the good fight and lost.

How were we able to lose such a powerful Toa, a beacon of hope and a symbol of might to all evil? I am fully aware of the answer to that, yet my inability to submit to the truth is eating me from the inside as I burn with guilt and shame for not doing anything about the Toa Nuva, about Tahu and Gali. And now, just like that day one year ago, Iā€™ve stood by and watched as Toa and Matoran in the government die, one by one. Our naive belief that the Toa Nuva will always be here to save us will not work out anymore.

My diseased and broken body is failing me. My days are numbered, and I donā€™t have long for this city or this planet. Intense pains wreak havoc all across my body as it helplessly twitches and jerks, unable to do anything about it. My leg erupts into a mangled mess of withered and rusty armor and mangled tissue, as nothing seems to work against it. Every day has become a struggle to live as I get more and more bedridden with each passing day. Iā€™ve been pushing on and on, and I donā€™t think I can take it anymore. My life has reached its breaking point. Before I finally depart to the heavens above, I must somehow muster up the strength and will to pay my final respects to the Toa to whom all of us are forever indebted.

One last time.

3 Likes

wow that was deep

now Iā€™m even more mad at Dume for killing Vakama

2 Likes

poor vakama
dume needs death!

UPDATE

Iā€™m currently knee deep in schoolwork right now and have a lot of tests this week, but next week is spring break for me anyway, so Iā€™ll try to finish a few more chapters. Until then, Iā€™m putting this on a temporary hiatus. Iā€™m not satisfied with Chapter 17 anyway, so Iā€™m going to rewrite it.

2 Likes

UPDATE

Chapter 17 is out now! Enjoy!

Chapter 17
Turaga Vakamaā€™s Diary

Kopaka staggered back from the book and sat down on the floor, covering his head in his hands. What he had just read was already getting too much to handle for him. Like the other Toa and even Turaga, he had been kept in the dark about all of this, everything that was going on inside the Turagaā€™s inner circle and within the Turaga themselves.

I had no idea, absolutely no idea, Kopaka thought to himself. He grimaced at the thought of what he read in the book. How did we not see this coming?

For the sake of the investigation, he said to himself, for the sake of the city, I must find out more. No matter how painful this may be, now is not the time to show emotions. I must carry on.

Using immense willpower, he willed himself to sit back down at his seat and continue reading for clues.

Entry 2, 10/18/4010

Days are coming and going, lives are passing on, while Iā€™m still stuck in a time loop in the past. Unable to grieve, unable to admit to the truth, I sit there and watch as my body and mind slowly waste away. It burdens me to think that we were the reason why the Toa Nuva fell apart, which led to Tahu and Gali meeting their untimely ends.

Turaga Dume insisted we hide and flee for safety like cowards while the Toa fight Marendar. Even the RCF units proved to be of no use when faced with the white, hulking beast. Forget about that ā€“ what we faced was a white, hulking beast with a thirst for revenge, that had brooded and waited for the right time to strike.

Just as we felt we didnā€™t need the Toa in our darkest hour, just as we abandoned them and left them to their own resources, the Toa felt they didnā€™t need each other anymore. The Toa Nuva had been internally arguing for quite some time, Gali arguing about Tahuā€™s disappearances for days on end and the rumors about him that have been circulating recently, that heā€™s conspiring with Dark Hunters, or some load of Kane-ra like that. Tahu viciously attacking back, saying that Gali has done nothing to stop the other Toa from just wandering off and being complacent about it, despite being one of the two peacemakers on the team. His vitriol was mainly directed towards Kopaka; I swear thereā€™s just something about fire and ice that does not mesh together.

These arguments reached a breaking point a while back, when Tahu decided he did not want anything to do with the team anymore. Tahuā€™s profession as an arena fighter did not sit well with his team, especially Gali, but it was her arguments and Kopakaā€™s ever omnipresent, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  silence that drove him to madness as he stormed off, never to be seen again. Gali had ruined her own health fretting about what will happen to Tahu as her attempts to convince him to discontinue fighting without a just cause have gone in vain. She and Pohatu had tried their best to keep the peace, while Kopaka and Lewa have long since excluded themselves from the team, citing their own reasons. Onua was unable to do anything about the situation, having matters in his home region to take care of. He had tried to console Gali, but to no avail. Convinced his words would not resonate with anyone, he left the team for good.

I guess the Toa Nuva believed that their Turaga ā€“ us ā€“ would be there to support them when their teammates would not, but we had proven that assumption of theirs false as we abandoned them and selfishly sought out our own safety.

It was also under Turaga Dumeā€™s insistence that we take at least the Toa Nuva who were willing to do so into the governmentā€™s upper ranks. Lewa, Gali, and Pohatu had obliged, but Iā€™ve noticed, their hearts were not in it. They had a greater duty to the Matoran of their kind than to some higher power that will most likely not serve their interests, of which I am a part of.

We saw them as just assets to further our ambitions, which only shows the devolution in the way we once thought of them. Once New Atero was founded, and Turaga Dume was appointed the Ruler, itā€™s as if nothing else mattered to him anymore except his goals. And for that matter, some of us held the same opinions as well, because he had dragged us into the ring of politics with him. We had forcefully shattered the Toaā€™s sense of duty to one another, to the Matoran, and instead replaced it with mindless devotion to corrupt city elders like us.

Ever since I had assumed this position of leadership, Dume has effectively coerced us into carrying out his wishes, threatening us with consequences if we donā€™t do as he says. And so I decided to speak my mind and call him out about this. Probably as a result of my actions, a deep schism is growing in our ruling body of 8, with Onewa, Matau, and Raanu opposing my ideas. It seems as if Nokama is the only one that supports me in my decisions, while the others just choose to stay silent. Because of my actions, both of us are being ostracized slowly but surely from the rest.

Sometimes I wonder if taking this position was really the best choice, as it has resulted in nothing but ill fortune and broken bonds of trust and friendship. It has caused the deaths of so many innocents from this party and the other all at the hands of the RCF, and all for retaining our seats of power.

On these days when I feel nothing but remorse for the past, I get up and walk to the city square, and sit down in front of the statue of Tahu and meditate. But today, when I did my routine meditation, I felt something different. Very different. The atmosphere, the usual quiet I experience when I meditate in front of this particular statue, was gone. Instead, it was replaced by a peculiar feeling, one I could not quite put my thumb on.

It was more like a sense of homecoming, and that someone was trying to tell me something.

Someone had tried to convey a message to me.

authorā€™s note: I did take a reference from my favorite Bionicle fanfic of all time, @Scorpion_Strike 's Folly of the Toa, I hope thatā€™s not plagiarism :sweat_smile:
3 Likes

ayyyyyy new chapter!
this is one of the best ones
poor gali, poor tahu , poor vakama

oooh interesting
nice read

if a reference is plagiarism, it isnā€™t a reference

Was it really? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Nah, not a problem at all. :grin:

I havenā€™t kept up much for a while, but just reading this section, I like what youā€™re doing here. Thereā€™s something fascinating about the MU residents grappling with their new world, new neighbors, and new challenges in the wake of Mata Nuiā€™s departure. As he said, the future belongs to them, but what can they make of it?

2 Likes

youā€™re referring to vakama right :rofl:

Actually itā€™s from Mata Nui in the last panels of the comics, when he returns to the Mask of Life after the prototype robot collapses. Hereā€™s the full quote:

ā€œIt is not the time for me to walk among you. You have a new life to build, and you must do so without my shadow hanging over you all. Perhaps the day will come when I will returnā€¦ but the future belongs to you, never forget that.ā€

Part of my thoughts behind the Folly of the Toa was that the Toa Nuva wouldnā€™t be very suited to that future, a future of diplomats and political intrigue, of building and mending relations between Matoran, Agori, and a wild range of other MU species and strange leftovers flooding out into the reformed Spherus Magna. These are political challenges, the ones you canā€™t deal with by attacking them with elemental powers and swords; thus the Toa would be left bereft of a purpose in the long term. Hence the title of the story.

I figured this would be a particular problem for the Toa Nuva since they were the only Toa team built as Toa (at least, if I remember correctly) and were never Matoran with a ā€˜civilianā€™ job to return to. I deliberately set up some of the Mahri in the story as counterpoints to the Toa Nuva in that regard; the Mahri could all return to something like the jobs they once held, the people they once were, and thus find a new place for themselves. The Toa Nuva were never Matoran they could return to being; they were the saviors the Matoran world, but could never be quite part of it. For a human analogy, they were built to be the great leaders or armies or rebellions, and such people often make poor or at least deeply frustrated politicians, never mind celebrities. They also often have a hard time getting along without a common enemy to fight, something that I recognized in the Toa Nuva as well.

To cut the rambling, I saw in that chapter something like what I imagined happened in the years between the Reformation and when Folly took place; the Toa Nuva, as well as other MU residents, trying and (to varying degrees) failing to work out a place for themselves in a world that doesnā€™t need Toa. Obviously thatā€™s not the only thing, youā€™ve introduced your own complications like Marendar, and thatā€™s great! Itā€™s good stuff, keep at it!

3 Likes

Thank you! :smiley:

I was also inspired to write this story mainly because of how good your fanfic was!

also i didnā€™t know you werenā€™t referring to my story when you said that LMAO

1 Like