BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

All right, there’s no time to delay. Elj, you can announce the start of the contest now
/s

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know about that. I was thinking of quotes like these:

Quotes

Chat with Greg Farshtey | Page 35
Chat with Greg Farshtey | Page 438
Chat with Greg Farshtey | Page 844

Just out of curiosity, could you direct me to the part of the interview that you are referencing?

1 Like
4 Likes

Honestly, while I would love the contests to all wrap up, I think it’s better to let them die. As we’ve seen, some people in the community barely accepted things Greg said as canon, so running contests without Greg having his Lego employee status would just make them come off as fanfiction in their eyes.

Side Note: (Ask Greg (Bionicle) answers that were made after July will probably be considered non-canon by some of the community, just thought of that while writing this)

Along with this, I’d rather see Greg work on his new series so it could hopefully become something he could make a stead paycheck off of it, along with it not being restricted by the copyrights Lego owns. Plus it looks awesome so far

Finally, I do agree that if we had to do a last contest, it should be Lariska. Lariska is Greg’s favorite character so naturally she should be the one to end it off.

Edit: Moved the sidenote to a better spot

16 Likes

We have the second list of characters known now too, since they’re no longer happening:

22 Likes

The Hagah are the last. TTV don’t want to bother him during the last few months of his tenure at Lego, because he definitely has bigger things to worry about than us nagging him about plastic robot toys.

They also don’t have time to properly implement the changes that were decided upon in the second talk with Mask of Destiny, and they would not feel comfortable throwing that all out just to hash Tuyet out quickly so they can nag Greg about plastic robot toys.

It's done

It has been a time, y’all. But, as anti-contest as I gradually became… I have to raise a glass to not just Greg, but to Mesonak and Eljay for putting up with our nonsense for the past two years. We had the most legendary of memes, we had drunk Artakha and Seriously You Would’ve Won If You’d Just Painted Him Green Artakha, we had delays and stir-craziness, Bigmonga and Hippo Videos, the Best Pouks, Copper Gaaki’s victory and a near-win for the Mask of Office Supplies. We had Order 66 in fandom form, and people getting banned for a literal millennium. We had No Sword Gang giving us one last fight.

(Ye gods, I said some stupid stuff during Helryx. Sorry 'bout that. I’m on better meds now, Hail Hoseryx)

Meso and Eljay were in over their heads. This is waaaay more complex than any one of us could’ve expected, and there wasn’t a single second in the past two years where I’ve envied them (Well, maybe during the “Look at every set ever” video, but nothing relating to the contests). But I appreciate that they tried. I did vote in favour of these originally, after all.

It’s been real, y’all

Your friendly Contest Drama Chronicler, ToaArcan, signing off.

27 Likes

Crap, canister builder.
I’ve always wanted it.

and at least I wanted to die after watching the Lariska contest.

sad

6 Likes

I’m dead :joy: :joy: :sob: True; amidst all the headbutting between fandom members about the silliest of things, the memes truly were legendary. Let these Canonization Contests rest, and watch the sun set on a grateful Matoran universe.

Man y’all make it sound like we saying goodbye or smth lmao we’re still gonna have some nonsense around the community lol Bonkle is still alive and so are we

Bless you, Greg.

8 Likes

Oh I daresay it’ll continue, but it won’t have such a reliable flashpoint anymore.

2 Likes

It’s crazy to see this all end so abruptly. I’ve been mixed in my perception of the contests, but I certainly wouldn’t have wanted them to be cut off so unexpectedly, but I suppose there’s no helping it. If there’s any upside, it will be that we were able to get some things finalized, and now those in the community who wanted things left unchanged have as much freedom to create headcanons as they wish…

One thing we should all remember is that, as disappointed as we are about this, it matters very little compared to what Greg is going through, so let’s be certain that we give him the utmost support in this, including giving him space and not insisting on another contest before his time at LEGO ends, if he’s not up to it. If he is okay with doing another, I agree that Lariska, as his favorite character, seems the most logical choice.

To the contest runners, mods, and cast members, thanks for all your hard work on these contests, while they lasted. Whatever your eventual announcement will be, you’ve done a great job coordinating these contests, and you can at least be proud that your efforts led to a number of meaningful contributions to the BIONICLE lore.

14 Likes

End Credits roll
Theme Song starts playing

That one zany after credits scene plays…

I think to quote our boy Mata Nui (and Greg behind the thought): “It is said that all endings are merely beginnings, waiting to be born.”

11 Likes

The next Nak & Jay is a special where they just belt out a duet of My Way over a montage of the boards’ finest drama nonsense.

Followed with an Eljay Viva La Vida edit.

11 Likes

anyway not kidding, I wonder if we’re going to continue the contest for the rest of the months and what kind of contest it will be. At least, I hope the organizers will discuss something about this situation.

4 Likes

This is sad, thank you Greg for all that you’ve done throughout the years. Lego themes wouldn’t be what they are today if it wasn’t for you!

All journey’s must come to an end, but this time, there is a new beginning as well. There will be challenges to face and enemies to fight, but I know you will overcome. All that has gone before, my friends, has only served to give birth to this new day. Let unity, duty and destiny be your guides. Be well, be strong, care for this world and for each other. Farewell.

5 Likes

farewell greg
also the canon contests
wait does this mean they are cancelled or wot
i had a chiara and a tuyet and orde…

4 Likes

Yup lariska seems fitting iam sure We could at least get that. Strange how things work out. I haven’t even thought about lariska before. Until earlier this week and built a pretty decent lariska moc in only a few days.

3 Likes

What happened to Greg and the contests? it’s been quite a while not checking the comments from this post.

Greg’s been laid off, probably due to post-rona downsizing and a lack of written Lego media lately.

The contests are therefore dead and there will not be another one because Meso and Eljay do not intend to nag Greg about canonising plastic robots while he’s focusing on things like “Finding a new job.”

14 Likes

Iam sure Greg could find the time between now and July to at least say yes or no to his favourite bionicle character.

1 Like

Oh no! that sucks. Can’t we gather a council of true loremasters to be the ones in charge of canonicity in these contests or something? And not necessarily 100% canonicity, but SEMI-canonicity like what we have seen previously.

2 Likes