BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I think this means the end of the contests, but on the other hand, didn’t Greg state that he could continue the Bionicle serials had he not been employed at Lego? Obviously not immediately, but I know he mentioned wanting to work on it in a semi-recent podcast (maybe the Beaverhouse one). The death of the contests may mean the birth of a new legend.

9 Likes

Either way… Thank you for helping build my childhood, Greg

13 Likes

Well, I don’t know if bonkle community can accept the additional points after that as Canon. At least I don’t have a proble. But it’s not officially possible.

4 Likes

Honestly, even if this means the end of the Canon Contests, I’d like to see the Contests continue, even without the canon label. Heck, more people would probably be in favor of them at that point – several anti-contest people have said they’d like the contests if they weren’t canon.

27 Likes

This is rather disheartening news. I was really looking forward to having fun with Tuyet, Nidhiki, and the TYQ crew, but now it seems like everything will grind to a halt before I had a chance to dip my feet in the water.

7 Likes

It just occurred to be that Greg has been working for Lego longer than I’ve been alive. That’s unfathomable.

16 Likes

we have to hold all the contest list 1 for 4 months.
This month’s tuyet.
Next month is Lariska
Next month, TYQ Gangs
Next is Nidhiki and Varian.
And then…Oh, no. It’s not enough.

15 Likes

Lightning fast canon contests. No more bickering over trivial things just let eljay and mezo do their thing and I am sure it can be accomplished.

7 Likes

There is a way if we do 2 a month, beside the YQT. But I’m not a fan of this as it basically forces everyone onto overdrive.

5 Likes

From the r/BionicleLego discord server:
e6dccf8d4a586bce98cafbdb762a87bd

kapura’d

17 Likes

Thank you, Greg. The greatest writer.

I think the contest should be changed its title as “Greg approved” from “Canon”.
(TTV has contact with him, and at least he watching
the contest. It way works well technicaly)

12 Likes

He’s said something along the lines of “I’d be open to continuing the serials, but Lego won’t give me a space to publish it”. However, while Lego may have been the primary roadblock to finishing the serials at the time, that doesn’t mean that he’d do it now. Greg’s always followed the rules of what he is and isn’t allowed to do as an employee of Lego; he wouldn’t just go off on his own.

(Also, that was a long time ago. I’m sure there are other reasons now that he won’t/can’t finish the serials.)

I know this was a joke, but I have a somewhat serious response to it.

We might be able to do one more contest before the end of July (maybe even two, if we really put the pedal to the metal), but I wouldn’t want to railroad these contests through just because we can and we’re on a ticking clock.

If we were able to do one final contest, I wonder if Greg would have any preferences; Lariska was one of his first and favourite story-original characters.

Of course, anything I said above (and really anything anyone has said) is purely speculation and wishful thinking. Ultimately, the future of these contests, or the Bionicle canon in general, should be left purely up to Greg, and only Greg.

13 Likes

I think you may be thinking of Lego’s interview with Greg but he had said similar fairly recently in his talks with Eljay and Beaverhouse

Not really a joke. I believe it can be done if everyone banned together on it.

1 Like

All right, there’s no time to delay. Elj, you can announce the start of the contest now
/s

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know about that. I was thinking of quotes like these:

Quotes

Chat with Greg Farshtey | Page 35
Chat with Greg Farshtey | Page 438
Chat with Greg Farshtey | Page 844

Just out of curiosity, could you direct me to the part of the interview that you are referencing?

1 Like
4 Likes

Honestly, while I would love the contests to all wrap up, I think it’s better to let them die. As we’ve seen, some people in the community barely accepted things Greg said as canon, so running contests without Greg having his Lego employee status would just make them come off as fanfiction in their eyes.

Side Note: (Ask Greg (Bionicle) answers that were made after July will probably be considered non-canon by some of the community, just thought of that while writing this)

Along with this, I’d rather see Greg work on his new series so it could hopefully become something he could make a stead paycheck off of it, along with it not being restricted by the copyrights Lego owns. Plus it looks awesome so far

Finally, I do agree that if we had to do a last contest, it should be Lariska. Lariska is Greg’s favorite character so naturally she should be the one to end it off.

Edit: Moved the sidenote to a better spot

16 Likes

We have the second list of characters known now too, since they’re no longer happening:

22 Likes

The Hagah are the last. TTV don’t want to bother him during the last few months of his tenure at Lego, because he definitely has bigger things to worry about than us nagging him about plastic robot toys.

They also don’t have time to properly implement the changes that were decided upon in the second talk with Mask of Destiny, and they would not feel comfortable throwing that all out just to hash Tuyet out quickly so they can nag Greg about plastic robot toys.

It's done

It has been a time, y’all. But, as anti-contest as I gradually became… I have to raise a glass to not just Greg, but to Mesonak and Eljay for putting up with our nonsense for the past two years. We had the most legendary of memes, we had drunk Artakha and Seriously You Would’ve Won If You’d Just Painted Him Green Artakha, we had delays and stir-craziness, Bigmonga and Hippo Videos, the Best Pouks, Copper Gaaki’s victory and a near-win for the Mask of Office Supplies. We had Order 66 in fandom form, and people getting banned for a literal millennium. We had No Sword Gang giving us one last fight.

(Ye gods, I said some stupid stuff during Helryx. Sorry 'bout that. I’m on better meds now, Hail Hoseryx)

Meso and Eljay were in over their heads. This is waaaay more complex than any one of us could’ve expected, and there wasn’t a single second in the past two years where I’ve envied them (Well, maybe during the “Look at every set ever” video, but nothing relating to the contests). But I appreciate that they tried. I did vote in favour of these originally, after all.

It’s been real, y’all

Your friendly Contest Drama Chronicler, ToaArcan, signing off.

27 Likes