BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Just because MU characters don’t have any form of sexual dimorphism doesn’t necessarily mean that they can’t have certain proportions completely independent from that.
Lewa and Kopaka have slimmer shoulders than Gali, and Pohatu has wider hips than her.
“no sexual dimorphism” doesn’t mean that characters with “feminine proportions” don’t exist, those proportions just aren’t gender locked.

In other words, regardless of whether or not a moc for a female character has a feminine looking build, the moc is still canonically valid.

8 Likes

This can be seen even more clearly in Comic 24: Shadow Play:

These similarities have also been confirmed in multiple quotes:

This is exactly what I’ve been wanting to say here, I just never figured out how best to phrase it.

6 Likes

What’s the problem? vortixx species seem to have a relatively feminine appearance.

If you want, just make your Lariska like that.

She’s a species we haven’t seen.

If you don’t violate the rule 5b, there will be no problem.

just other people’s evaluations are just their own responsibility.

anyway , we decide her appearance to vote

6 Likes

Yes my thoughts exactly. We’ll decide her appearance by voting on the contest, so all this debate is pretty much unnecessary imo. If an entry gets DQ’d, it will, just how this was in the pervious 3 moc contests.
Vortixx-like Lariska mocs should certainly be, as Greg said she’s not a Vortixx, which probably implies she doesn’t even resemble one, but other than that? She’s a yet-unseen species, so she doesn’t have to resemble to any other what we’ve seen tbh. If her body looks too feminine, maybe her entire species looks like that, including males and females, since we’ve only seen one species having different looks so far,a dn it’s the TSO’s species. And 2 out of 4 was actually fan-made retcons, even though Conjurer’s build resembles more to Sidorak’s if you don’t count the head.

2 Likes

Y’all are amazing, I don’t know of any other place that can spark a debate over a prediction

Either way my stance on this will be, “Just because we can, doesn’t mean we always should.”, They are aliens with very irregular body types. The metru are essentially stick figures for example. Prototype is like a Gorilla and Keetongu looks like a fat cyclops. You can obviously build what you want just consider if its actually applicable, relevant or necessary first.

A Lariska will not be banned for having feminine proportions. However just consider if the feminine design brings something new to the table for the character.

I would say similarly you shouldn’t give Bionicle character human proportions especially Toa since we have countless of canonical toa depictions to tell us that Toa don’t have human proportions and neither did the Great Beings so There shouldn’t be a reason to design them like humans. However if you think human proportioned Toa for example would be relevant build your Toa like that. Even though it doesn’t make much sense.

2 Likes

what the heck

literally every single toa set ever has relatively human proportions

7 Likes

Every single toa is humanoid but humanoid doesn’t equate having the exact same proportion as a human. A dwarf in dnd is a humanoid but their proportions are different from humans they have similar body dismorphia as humans but their proportions are not the same.

Last time I checked my lower arms(not counting hand) wasn’t longer than my upper arms for example.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Yes. They’re “relatively close to human proportions”. Meaning that they’re not human proportioned.

3 Likes

https://www.linkedin.com/in/greg-farshtey-12678b4/

Well, this is, uh, something. Jeez, I’m having like, real, complex feelings about this. It’s like, the end of an era.

28 Likes

Wow.

Does he provide any information pertaining to why he’s being let go? I hope everything turns out okay for the guy.

Also I wonder, does this signal the end of the canon contests and/or the end of his involvement with bionicle as a whole?

9 Likes

Prolific writer behind 2 of LEGO’s biggest juggernaut successes that has made them untold millions being laid off. I’m sure LEGO has their reasons, but…wow.

14 Likes

Regardless of the future of the contests, it would be nice to do something as a community thank-you for him. Like maybe a video or something?

26 Likes

I’m grateful for his work on Bionicle and other themes, and wish greg the best of luck moving forward. Hopefully his being let go was on pleasant terms (as much as it can be, anyway).

20 Likes

Oh god.
This literally came out of nowhere. Like why would they let someone so talented go?

I 100% agree. It’s the least we can do for everything he’s created and done over the years.

13 Likes

#ThankYouGreg

15 Likes

A sad day for us all.

Greg’s stories are a huge part of Bionicle’s entire being, of course. And while I don’t really agree with… much of the things he said on forums (I’ve said before that I believe Bionicle to be a much better story if you only ever consume the published media and ignore everything posted online about it), he still wrote most of the things I did very much enjoy as a kid, and continue to enjoy today.

And, even if I didn’t like the results, I have to commend his dedication to the fanbase. It’s rare that a fandom gets an extra 11 years of content drip-fed to them, and even if we didn’t make the best use of that, Greg’s own willingness to do that is important to commend.

Farewell, Space Cowboy.

I doubt there will be any future for the contests now. Greg was able to continue to retcon and add to Bionicle’s lore because he was still a Lego employee. As an ex-employee… well, he won’t have that power anymore. And even if he did, I doubt he’d exercise it.

This may be the end of an era.

25 Likes

We got till July just gotta cram all the contests in before then.

20 Likes

I suppose this means that Bionicle canon is no longer allowed to be added to nor revised in any way? In a way, I think that’s nice too; interpretation will be truly open to everyone in the community now since what we have is set in stone.

This. While we all have our disagreements and biases on what he’s done for the lore, I gotta say it’s one Hell of a feat to dedicate so much to worldbuilding like this. His name is literally immortalized in and associated with this fandom. Godspeed, Greg.

20 Likes

I remember someone asked Greg what his element and mask power would be and he said Fire and a Kakama to weed his lawn. I think I might draw that. Or him setting out on a new adventure, near a beach resident to a Turaga…

As others have said, really an end of an era. I wish him all the best in his endeavours such as the original story he’s been writing.

26 Likes