BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

This is going to depend heavily on the amount of entries, however if there are a lot then we’re likely due to run it like BZP’s, with the bracketed system.

Just illustrate the character in color. We haven’t determined anything further than that.

We want to stress that the 3D printed parts are heavily restricted in their use. Generally speaking, if you don’t have a printer, you can likely gain access to one from a library or other means. And really, not everyone can MOC. Not everyone can draw. If we continue to make restrictions based on “not everyone has XYZ,” you find yourself with a very small list of people that are able to participate

Interesting idea. We’ll discuss it and see if we can find a happy medium, because I get what you’re saying. We went this direction because it didn’t make sense to restrict builders in that way, and LEGO has allowed blanket painted pieces as late as the life-sized mask building contest from… 2015? 2016? Somewhere in there.

3 Likes

As some have pointed out, some characters, namely Artakha (gray-green) and Lariska (dark teal), have color schemes that have only a small number of officially released pieces in that color. I’m not even aware of any constraction pieces in dark teal. Would it be permissible to build a MOC with, say, a bright red color scheme and then edit the hue in Photoshop to match the intended color for the photo submissions, rather than painting the pieces?

Slizers have tons of teal parts. I’ve stocked up on Jungle and City Slizers specifically for this, and I’ve now just got piles of teal sockets, lift arms, Slizer heads and Technic panels.
Just look at these guys:

5 Likes

We’re going with no for the time being. That strays a little too far into artwork, and we believe the photo manipulation should begin and end with the background/lighting.

I understand your concern, however. As far as pieces in teal are concerned, there is a surprisingly large amount of them that would be really good to use.

6 Likes

It says only one 3D part can be a mask. Does that mean that only one can be used as a mask? If I built something that used three masks, but two are pauldrons, wold that be against the rules?

Also, if a model is built in LDD or Stud.Io, are there any rules regarding color? I mainly ask this because, if someone recolors a part into a translucent hue, the only way to replicate it physically would be with a resin replica. On that note, are those allowed?

It says that stickers are not allowed but later it says that non-Lego stickers are banned. Doe this mean I could put a sticker on a blank part, as long as it came from a Lego set?

Can pats be painted into non-Lego colors? The Toa Hagah will need metallic armor- could someone, say, make a Bomonga with metallic purple armor?

Will there ever be character who will purely have art contests

And, finally, regarding the Hagah: their masks are meant to represent other masks. So, would it be feasible to, after their designs are finalized, have a contest regarding the traditional powers of their kanohi? I know you’ve said there will be no lore contests, but this feels fairly minor and innocuous, and in theory shouldn’t swamp Greg Farshtey with a work load like a story contest would. This wouldn’t be for names, of course, just powers, like the contest for all those Matoran masks back in the day.

1 Like

I think I get what you’re saying, let me back it up with some examples.

Sokoda, by Sokoda: super intricate, lots of small details filling out every conceivable gap.

Zhun, by Gilahu: fairly detailed, but still simple enough to where it could reasonably be a bigger G1 set.

Vekaron, by me: aside from the height, this could pass for a canister set. It’s a unique build, but fairly simple.

None of these mocs are bad. They’re just varying degrees of complexity, and thus have a somewhat different aesthetic to them.

3 Likes

We left it open in case someone wanted to use a mask as other than a mask. However, only one of the pieces can be a mask. So if you tried to put two 3D printed masks on the MOC, it would be against the rules.

No, you’re good to color it whatever in LDD or Stud.io.

They are allowed. We have a section that discusses them.

Stickers are allowed. I’ll need to update that section of the rules, actually.

We don’t recommend painting pieces into non-LEGO colors, however it is allowed.

Not to my knowledge, no.

Maybe, though it isn’t something we’re seeking out at the moment.

3 Likes

Exactly or its at least close to what I reffer to these are still quite tame but still a bit complex tho…

Here’s a great example of the form of complexity I mean:

So, what happens if Orde or Zaria end up with a new mask shape of unknown power?

Secondly, from the long-winded discussion in the previous thread I was very much under the impression the community would have more input in the rules (preferably, more polls on particular details such as if custom parts, custom cloth, painted parts, non-“constraction” elements, and etc. should be allowed and/or to what degree.) I was told ‘This is just to decide if the contests are happening at all, don’t worry about the details, those will be decided later.

5 Likes

I imagine those two will end up having masks that already exist, we just need to confirm WHAT those are with masks that exist but without powers (eg, Hagah masks could still be available if the Hagah don’t have custom masks).

2 Likes

We will ask Greg if he had preferred masks before those contests start.

The community did have input. We asked the community heads about their thoughts and worked with them over the course of weeks to determine the best rule set we could, in addition to having taken into account the 400+ replies in said prior topic. The community has had a great deal of input, more than they have ever had before.

3 Likes

Wow. I’m impressed. These rules come as a bit of a happy surprise in how closely they are to my own personal ideal. All lego pieces allowed, hard limit on custom ones and only for masks and weapons, size reference to known species, separate kanohi contest - even SPRAYPAINT allowed! And past mocs too, I’m glad to hear that. I voted yes to the contest but I didn’t plan to participate myself because of all the proposed restrictions I heard bouncing around from other people. Now I might. Although I’m a little sad Nikila’s not on that list, I would have liked to enter my version that I made right before this contest was announced :frowning:

2 Likes

This:

And this:

The following should also be a factor to consider.^

For more on this check the quoted reply and my previous relpies in this topic. As well as the repliers of those replies comments.

Best regards.
//Tarkur

I went and looked at the poll topic and our youtube videos on the subject; a total of 6 other people mentioned Marendar at all. To your credit, there are more people vocally skeptical of him than other characters in question, so I guess he is more “controversial” by default, but I hope you can understand that from my perspective, six posts out of, in totality, 500+ seems a drop in the bucket to me. I hear you when you say that there isn’t enough data to determine one way or another, but the fact of the matter is that there will always be those who don’t agree, and simply because majority dictates which path to take doesn’t make the other side happy. A lot more than six people voted no on the poll outright (16% in total, about 79), but operating under the basis of majority, the 75% of people who said yes cleared the way forward for the contest. The same will be true of any choice that is made here, one way or another, be it for contests or characters.

My first post in the topic even states as follows:

We made it pretty clear from word-go that we consider these characters on a level playing field and that the pool we would draw from would include people like Marendar. It’s our belief that anybody who cares enough to come to our site to vote in the poll would also care enough to read the post to know what they’re voting on.

That being said, even though I feel like people were well informed and voted/spoke their mind in accordance, obviously you don’t, and others do agree.

SO! I propose you this:

Going forward, after the Helryx contest ends (because we feel that Helryx, as it stands, is relatively non-controversial), we will hold polls during the three-week downtime between contests to determine who is next on the list. The amount of people who vote, their publicly posted thoughts, and the total ratio of people voting for each entry should serve as a pretty good indicator to us and the community at large who exactly people want to see a contest for; once we get down to the end, assuming your belief is correct and Marendar will be there, the poll will become whether or not to hold a contest for him at all. If people say no and would rather not see him (or whoever actually ends up in the final few), then we’ll eliminate him/them outright. This way, the community gets to voice opinions on a public platform through a character-by-character basis, decide the order of the contests, and potentially eliminate controversial or low priority characters altogether if that’s what they really want.

AN ADDITIONAL THOUGHT: Do you think your opinion would change on the matter (personally speaking, not the desire for more community input) if we asked Greg for a summary of what Marendar looks like to serve as a baseline for a contest? Like colors, a general description, etc.

7 Likes

I really hope Orde ends up with a Sanok. I know it isn’t official, but most, if not all of the MOCs I’ve seen of him had a 3-d printed inorganic Sanok.

Same for Zaria and a Mask of Adaptation.

3 Likes

To interject here - I think that having polls for each character before the next contest is a perfect solution to this issue and my own concerns about characters like Marendar would be quelled if this approach were taken. If enough people felt strongly about it the issue would be solved. (And I’m not at all bothered by Helryx being first on the list bc I think most people would agree she is the most obvious candidate for this.)

I would be very surprised if Greg actually had a general description of Marendar to give, he has said many times that he thinks in words and any description he created would likely be solely for the contest. Not to say that I’d be opposed to that if a Marendar contest were to go forward, but I don’t think it necessarily solves the issue at hand, either.

But that’s just me. :stuck_out_tongue:

I kind of imagined him with a Rode, myself - though I am sorta open to what the community comes up with.

That does bring up an interesting point, however - for these two in particular (whose appearances would fundamentally have an impact on their canon tools and equipment) people may simply vote for the character with the Kanohi they like the most rather than the actual design. Not saying that’s absolutely a bad thing, but it should be considered.

Obviously if Greg did confirm their masks, that issue wouldn’t exist. Otherwise I’d suggest a poll, but then we’re almost getting into Mangai of Ice #4 territory again…

1 Like

I personally hope not tbh. I think it would make sense, but I don’t want to people to be limited to a certain mask that they never even addressed they had. also I don’t have a sanok for my Orde moc and I don’t wanna get one but y’know

I don’t see how that’s substantially different from painting pieces, though. Plus it’s a lot cheaper, and you don’t have to ruin any pieces.

Is Kongu/Slizer teal really the same as “dark teal”? To me it sounds like Greg was thinking of a different color than normal teal when he said that.

6 Likes

Likewise. Orde appears blunt and practical and straightforward, but somewhat unimaginative. The Sanok would best reflect him, especially due to being an underused mask. As for Zaria, owing to his survivalist nature and the requirement that he be constantly on the move due to the FeFa genocide, the Mask of Adaptation would be best suited for him. Plus, Zaria is a Toa of Iron, who is more used to urban areas so he would need to be able to adapt to different environments.

1 Like

I want to stress that that last paragraph couldn’t be further from the truth. A main character with a name and a speaking role is a far cry from an unknown Toa of Ice from Lhikan’s team who we never saw in the story. The two aren’t even on the same planet in terms of relevance.

Honestly, a common theme I’m seeing among people in this topic is an attempt to thwart people from voting for themselves. There are these efforts to control what people vote for before the contest have been begun. Who cares if someone votes for an Orde with a Rode? Or Pouks with a Kaukau? Is that not up to the individual to decide? Is confirming these appearances not the point?

These are main characters. Characters that have had a focus placed on them. Characters that have spoken with other characters, that have no reason to be hidden in obscurity. So yes, these contests will have an impact on their canon tools and equipment - that’s the point.

We will, however, ask Greg if he had any Kanohi in mind before particular contests start. If he doesn’t, it will be up to the individual to give it their best.

Because one is physical and the other is using software to digitally alter a design. We don’t want to entertain the blurry line of digitally altering physical MOCs and then creating a piece of artwork. For instance, embossed photos wouldn’t be allowed.

As an aside, if you are ruining pieces with paint, you method may need to be looked into. You can paint a piece and not ruin it. You also don’t have to paint any pieces at all.

Here is the exact quote:

Q: When you say Lariska is blue-green, do you mean like a teal-ish color or blue and green?

A: I mean like a tealish color

7 Likes