BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Regarding the custom pieces, I have noticed that there’s a list with the names of the 3D modelers whose pieces we can use. However, there’s not or at least, I haven’t found any link with the pieces that are currently allowed. What would happen if anyone tries to use a piece from any of these 3D modelers but the piece hasn’t been approved yet? For example a recently made piece from 1 or 2 days ago.

And about Eljay’s Important Note, does the date mentioned there (June 1st) only counts for the custom pieces for Helryx’s contest or for all the other ones (contests that haven’t started yet)? Because I would like to participate in the Hagah one and I’ve recently found another 3D modeler Bio4sale (not included in the current list) that has interesting pieces. In case the modeler agrees to provide a free link to the 3D pieces, would they be allowed to be used in the contest?

2 Likes

To my understanding, the custom piece deadline was for all canon contests, not just Helryx. But I may be mistaken. @Eljay @Mesonak.

-Sol

1 Like

I think that was the intention, but I also think that that needs to be changed.

Some of these contests won’t start for around 2 years, and that doesn’t even include an addon, or a second list. It feels silly to exclude a modeler from having their pieces used in those contests just because they weren’t around 2 years prior.

4 Likes

You can add new pieces to the pool, you just have to fulfill the same conditions (creative commons, free acces to the 3d file and so on). But remember, only weapons and mask are allowed, no limbs, torso or anything else other than weapons and mask.

1 Like

Have the final results been posted yet? I want to get to illustrating!

It should be there.

1 Like

Is a resin mold of an official mask allowed to have two colors? Or would this also be required to be monochrome?

The mold would be of a part that comes in two-tone versions as well, if this info would matter.

How does everyone make the artwork that they enter into the second portion of the contest? Like do you use a drawing tablet or some computer program? I would like to know.

1 Like

I want to ask, even though this question was probably already answered: In the art portion of the contest, are people allowed to recolor the mask to another color such as…say…gold?
If not however, then what if the creator of the MOC gave his blessings for parts of the model such as the mask to be recolored in the artwork?

1 Like

I believe the vast majority of entrants use one of those two things, or both. It’s hard to make color art look good unless it’s digital (at least for me).

3 Likes

But is there any specific things that you use?

I don’t have the means to enter the at contests, so you’d be better to ask other people what they use specifically, but as far as I know Photoshop is a pretty common one.

and of course that’s that Wacom Cintiq I dream about.

3 Likes

oh, ok

I used watercolours and pencil last time, with a lil photoshop after. This time I plan to use photoshop and tablet only.

1 Like

Yes, the mask can be recolored.

1 Like

ok! I found an app that turns pencil marks into solid black lines so I might use that with the outline and then digitally add color.

I draw a sketch and lineart traditionally and then do the coloring and effects on an app called Ibis paint X.
Before the contest begins I want to give everyone a metru head reference so everyone can make a proportionate mask of creation. This took a lot of time because finding accurate pictures for all sides was rather difficult. Ignore the empty space, I was using this to draw my own mask of creation.

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POST - Spid…I mean Kaijin Storyteller

2 Likes

Hey, I made some Stud.io files for a bunch of Artakha entries so I could get renders of them. Some people asked for the files and here they are.

Disclaimer that all of these were made using only the breakdown photos that are public and are bound to have mistakes. The only one that’s been looked over by the actual creator is Blue’s. Apologies for any inaccuracies.

Didn’t include my models for Connor_Hoffman’s or WholesomeGadunka’s because they made their own files that you can get here and here which are guaranteed to be accurate.

Hello. I was wondering. With the canon Artoca moc having a 3-D printed mask, does that affect the art contest? Is the 3-D printed mask the canon mask now, or are we doing the same thing we did in the Helryx contest and design a mask?

Thanks!

1 Like

The artist can either follow the current design or show his own take in the design of the mask.

2 Likes