BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Will we get the the full tally of final votes and percentages from the end of the second round’s polls?

1 Like

Yes, once one of us has a moment to put them up.

1 Like

Are crossbows allowed?

Is CCBS allowed in the Hagah contests, because 100% of my spare parts are either CCBS or Technic

1 Like

I’m sure the bones for the limbs at the very least are allowed, as long as the base body is a Metru body. Though you’d have to get very creative with a g2 head if you wanted to use one of those masks :thinking:

This topic was brought up on the “Who should have a canon contest?” topic, but it’s better suited here:

On this point, I want to bring something up. Greg has said the Hagah’s Toa colors match their Rahagah colors but hasn’t said anything about their eye colors. As sets, as well as in the movie and comics, they all have orange eyes, but there is one panel from the comics that differs:

Norik, Gaaki, Iruini, and Pouks all still have orange eyes (although this isn’t a problem for Iruini since his Hagah set form has orange eyes). Norik’s Hagah set form has green eyes, although he’s shown elsewhere having red/orange eyes:

But for Bomonga and Kualus in the first picture, they have eye colors other than orange. Kualus has the typical light blue as a Toa of Ice, and same for Bomonga having green as a Toa of Earth. This is also repeated in Comic #24: Shadow Play:

Bomonga2 Kualus
While Gaaki and Pouks are still debatable, I think its safe to say Kualus has light blue eyes, and Bomonga has green eyes, staying with the trends of their respective elements.

6 Likes

Given how Artakha’s contest had the builds limited to one shade of green due to the scarcity of Sand Green pieces, I wanted to ask if that rule is going to carry forward into future contests with rare colors? My Lariska model has Teal as a primary color with Metru Green as a secondary to back it up, and I would hate to have to change the build now because I can only have one or the other, whenever her contest rolls around.
@Eljay

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be that hard. Just combine these three pieces:

And then use a second 2-axle to connect it to the usual neck attachment.

(Or, instead of connecting the first 2-axle to the Technic piece, just use this:

image )

sorry what connection are we talking about here?

1 Like

I think they’re talking about making a ball connection point for a metru torso for a glatorian/hero factory head. But that doesn’t really make sense to me because I thought the decision was to use known Kanohi because of the whole “they were Kanohi reforged into the shapes of other Kanohi to resemble ancient heroes”
So I dont think a hero factory helmet would do the trick for them

1 Like

@Winger @Takutanuva

It was in reference to attaching a G2 head to a Metru torso.

This is true, but nowhere is it stated that they were in the shape of Kanohi that we, the readers, have seen before.

So yes, they are not unique shapes in-universe; they are in the shapes of other “common” Kanohi. But they could be in the shapes of Kanohi that never appeared in story. Greg has confirmed that there are other, unknown-to-us Kanohi powers.

“While they have never appeared or been alluded to in official media, Greg Farshtey has surmised that Masks of Fear, Weather Control, Density Control, and Stasis Fields can be created.[9][10][11][12]

Another option, as someone else once pointed out, is that they could wear Kanohi in the base shape of Makuta masks; when the Toa Hagah were gathered under a team, the Makuta would have been regarded as heroes.

Both of these options would require new Kanohi shapes. Perhaps the G2 Masks of Water or Air could be used; they don’t really resemble any G1 Kanohi.

3 Likes

Yes, but I saw lots of controversy around that still. We’ll just have to see how it all plays out

Oh, for sure. But the option is there.

I would seriously advice against this, as its contradictive. You say they’re in the shapes of “common” Kanohi, but then suggest they could be in the shapes of Fear, Weather Control, Density Control, and Stasis Field. They can be potential masks, yes, but we have never seen these masks in canon, and they could be very rare, perhaps maybe even nonexistent. ‘Possible’ does not mean they do exist.

This on the other hand is a rather interesting point that I never considered. However, the only masks worn by Makuta that we know of are the Kraakhan, Phantoka masks (which were shapshifted), the Mistika masks (which were mutated due to the mutagen in the swamp), Mask of Mutation, Olmak (Tridax) and Mask of Scavenging (Icarax). The selection, not including the Phantoka and Mistika masks, is rather limited.

Regardless, whatever masks designs someone chooses for their Hagah entries, if it is a custom design meant to be the standard shape of a canon mask whose shape is currently unknown, these contests do not canonize that shape as matching the power the entrant intended it to. We are only canonizing the appearances of the Hagah, nothing more. A custom mask design would just mean its still an canonically unknown shape.

Perhaps “common” wasn’t the best word here. “Standard” would probably be better. This hypothetical mask may or may not be rare, but there is nothing special about it; it isn’t unique. It’s just another Kanohi shape.

Exactly

Do you mean unknown power?

As in: We know that a mask exists with this as its base shape, but we do not know its power.

Yes

I’m confused. If you agree these contests don’t canonize the standard power of their mask shapes, then why suggest their masks could be in the shapes of those four rare masks? For any custom designed mask, the point is moot. We’re not assigning standard powers to their mask designs, so whatever the entrant intended, it wouldn’t become canon.

What rare masks?

I am suggesting that new shapes could be introduced, with the understanding that they are standard Kanohi shapes for powers that we do not know.

These new shapes could not be the standard shapes of the Hagah’s mask powers, since it has been confirmed that the remaining four Hagah have ‘wrong-shaped’ masks.

Yes. Whether the entrant intends for the mask to be the standard shape of that Hagah’s power, or a new power altogether, it would not be canon.

The one’s you brought up, Fear, Weather Control, Density Control, and Stasis Field.

I see.

I never meant that the Hagah masks would specifically be the standard shapes of those exact powers. I brought those up simply as proof that there are Kanohi powers beyond what we have seen in story.

So yes. Even if the entrant says “Kualus’s mask is in the shape of a Mask of Fear”, that would not be canon.

Kualus’s mask would canonically be in the shape of an unknown power, and the Mask of Fear would remain as a theoretical/unseen mask.

As interesting as it is, I think that, since Toa Norik’s eyes do not match his set form, those colors should not be counted as absolutely canon. Also, in the Web of Shadows movie all the Rahagah have orange/red eyes, but then again, the movie is not exactly canon. This a quite nice pick still, but I don’t think it should become rule/guideline.