BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

There’s not (at least none that we have seen. Inorganic versions definitely exist, canonically). That’s why we’re having this discussion.

1 Like

EfqfrWtWsAESOhD

Thanks to Lhikan, we already know that the same mask can have multiple variations. I think even hyper lore crusaders would understand that masks are canonically hand made. There must be some minor variation, hence Lhikan’s mask and Tahu Stars.

No one can convince me that Varian and other Toa have those green roundish heads.

6 Likes

Agreed. Some of them, especially Kongu’s, look so explicitly ‘fleshy’ that they just don’t work as inorganic ones to me.

3 Likes

The mouths are the big thing for me.

3 Likes

When you say “The difference in shape, or lack thereof” it implies that the organic masks are similar in shape to their inorganic counterparts, which we don’t currently know.

Something seems to stand out, no?

1 Like

I’d just like to share these helpful topics

Could be great for anyone making a Varian Moc, or maybe a Hagah moc.

yes, the Metru masks not only have a background, they’re at an angle, and they are on heads.

4 Likes

The big thing in that picture for me is that the Zatth has tubes, which is confirmed to be specific to Kongu’s aquatic version.

The use of the organic versions there does not mean that they are the standard shapes, just like how the use of Kongu’s Zatth doesn’t mean that that is it’s standard shape.

If you go to the pages for each Kanohi, those pictures are specified to only represent the organic versions.

EXACTLY. This confirms my theory that the Metru are actually the tech-savvy ones who know how to make good photography.

That’s not my point. The Inika masks are so aesthetically different from the other Kanohi.

2 Likes

I see. I totally agree with that.

At least get rid of the mouths…

3 Likes

Bukkey is a very talented builder, so I’m not surprised that’s his work. Thanks for linking them.

It would certainly provide some options for Varian, such as a gold mata head and pinkish eyes, plus it wouldn’t look exactly like Jaller’s head on another body. I wouldn’t make using the rubbery mask mandatory for characters such as Varian, but I can see that design deservedly going far.

Varian isn’t happening for another year though

3 Likes

They all have different aesthetics, though.
The mata masks have very rounded, simple shapes.
The Metru masks have a very squared, metalic look.
The Inika masks have a rounded look with some veins and organics
The MAhri masks have tubes, and look under-waterish.

No two groups of masks match aesthetic. If anything, I’d argue that the mata masks are the least aesthetically matching.

Ehhh…

I guess that’s just your opinion. To me, The Inika masks really stand out from the others.

2 Likes

Here’s the one I was looking for. Note that this was posted months before the earliest statement that the masks are the same:

5)Is the Suletu, which Kongu is wearing, in the agreed upon shape for a Suletu to be forged in? Or is it another case of a Kanohi being made in a different shape than its usual form?

1. I would assume that is what an organic Suletu would look like

The way he says this seems to suggest that the organic and standard masks do not look the same.

Unless there is another hidden Greg Archives that I am unaware of, or a question was asked with misspelled words, this is the first statement that Greg ever gave related to the shape of the Inika masks.

2 Likes

So here’s a totally unrelated question: what will we be doing for Orde and Zaria’s masks?

1. Moc contest decides the mask – if the winning Orde moc has a Rau, then that’s the mask he has.
  2. Art contest decides the mask – if the winning Orde Moc has a Rau, the art can draw it as an elda, or even a new mask.
  1. A poll is held before the contests to determine their mask power

I think I prefer option 1, because that gives equal opportunity for them to have an existing mask or a new mask.

iirc eljay or meso said that they planned to ask greg before each of those contests if he had a particular mask in mind or that he preferred for them, and take it from there.

1 Like

This is the worst option. Why defeat part of the point of the contests?

2 Likes

Because their appearance does not dictate their mask power.

But I agree that it is a bad option, because it doesn’t really have a good option to introduce a new power, besides “none of the above” (And it does kind of defeat part of the purpose of the contests. Although, these Toa are fairly unique in these contests. There is absolutely nothing to go off of for them. I wouldn’t mind if their powers were decided on before the contests, as long as there is an option to introduce new powers, at which point the Art Contest would decide the canon shape of this new power.)

1 Like

It would be annoying if the art retconned the mask power, especially since it further negates the moc as a whole and the builder’s creative decision.

Either way, the masks are probably going to be an afterthought. I doubt Greg has anything in mind for Orde and Zaria’s masks, especially since he has continuously refused to say what their masks are, so whatever mask happens to be on the winning moc will probably be canon, unless it’s 3-D printed.

1 Like

Either the winning MOC mask is canon or it isn’t; you can’t flip-flop depending on whether or not it’s 3d printed.

If there is a possibility for the winning MOC to have a 3d printed part, then there needs to be an Art Contest. Then, whether or not the Art Contest can change the masks depends on the contest.

But you can’t decide to keep the traditional masks and change the 3d printed ones.