BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

To Bloodarchmage:

As of his first meeting with Helryx, Takanuva had only seen the Toa Mata, Toa Nuva, and the Toa Mahri (minus Matoro of course). He met Helryx and Krakua at the same time, and just from reading their first interaction in Swamp of Secrets, Helryx’s appearance stood out much more than Krakua’s.

It’s worth noting too that Greg has been asked about Helryx’s build before and said it might be something similar to a Mata build, but he wasn’t definite about that so don’t count it as a strict rule.

To TTV:

If I had an old 3D model that I didn’t make publicly available in time, could I submit the MoC with a placeholder mask, and then include the old design in the mask artwork portion of the competition (providing I make the 3D model anyway)?

2 Likes

Good afternoon, TTV! I’ve had my model ready to submit, but after seeing some of the descriptions of Helryx (her being frail/thin in appearance, mostly), it got me concerned as to whether or not that would be a deciding factor in your votes, e.g. a frail/thin looking Helryx vs a version of her that shows her more in her prime (heavyset perhaps, but definitely not frail-looking).
To summarize my question; Would a version of Helryx in her prime be given the same consideration as one that looks frail/thin, or would that “prime” stature undermine its chance of success?

Additionally, regarding the description of Helryx as looking battle-scarred and whatnot, would it be acceptable for me to submit photos of her in her pristine undamaged armor as well as battle-damaged, or would I need to pick one or the other?
If the latter is the case, which version of her would be best for me to submit for the contest?

1 Like

The entire community is able to vote, so it’s really up to every voter’s personal preference.

A couple people have already submitted MOCs that depict her in her prime, so you probably can do either.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. Thanks for your response!

1 Like

Hello,

I have a question regarding the art portion of this contest. To take Toa Helryx as an example, what are the rules concerning the artwork? Does she have to be drawn in a neutral pose with only the mask being the concern, can it be in an action scene or a certain setting, etc.
And maybe as a side question, if we draw a completely new mask, do we have to also provide multiple angles, so 3D models can be made?
I’m sorry if this question has been asked before, I just couldn’t find it.

So, is that a yes or a no for cutting flex tubes?

1 Like

If you need a yes or no, then no. If you cut it to a LEGO length and can get away with it, then that’s fine.

i hope i’m not the first one to raise a concern with the voting system used in the contest

1 Like

Where is the post supposed to be linked to? And in order to be a valid entry, I just need the actual post and a link correct?

@chasekristianj You have to post the link to your topic there.

Yes, you should be fine.

I think I posted the wrong link last time.

2 Likes

Do we need to tell the part-count/points of articulation in the topic? A lot of the entrants have done so, but It doesn’t mention it here in the rules. Also, I know that the mask will be decided by art later, but are the weapons decided that way or by what’s presented in the MOC?

No.

I believe that if the weapons are 3D printed pieces, then artists may offer their interpretation, but I can’t quite recall if I said something that may contradict that.

1 Like

But if they’re just made from official parts, the winner’s weapons get canonized as is? ie, The artist has to depict them as they are in the MOC, instead of inventing their own new design?

1 Like

As far as I know, that is correct.

Hello,

I have a question regarding the art portion of this contest. To take Toa Helryx as an example, what are the rules concerning the artwork? Does she have to be drawn in a neutral pose with only the mask being the concern, can it be in an action scene or a certain setting, etc.
And maybe as a side question, if we draw a completely new mask, do we have to also provide multiple angles, so 3D models can be made?
I’m sorry if this question has been asked before, I just couldn’t find it.

Maybe it went overlooked, but any ideas on these questions?

2 Likes

I asked something similar, if multiple characters could be depicted together, and they said no. I didn’t ask about terrain, though, that’s a good question.

2 Likes

Aha, not like for example Surel in previous instances, where he was depicted with his wolves. Thanks for the answer!
So if I understand it correctly, again taking Helryx as an example, drawing the winning MOC-entry talking to, say, Takanuva like in the story would not be allowed?

But no information yet as to what scenery or in what pose she has to be drawn?

1 Like

As far as I know, that is correct, yes.

2 Likes

I was wondering what make a toa hagah shield?
Because in the cannon contest rules it said they must have a tow hagah shield is that just a shield that can shoot a rotuka spinner or does it have to be the actual piece?

1 Like

I’m going to assume and say that it should be the actual piece.

1 Like