BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

When that creativity deviates from what we know the models are suppose to look like, yes. That’s exactly a reason to limit creativity, that’s what the rules are for in this case.

1 Like

I’d once again argue the image I posted looks like a Metru build, even if it doesn’t use the one piece necessary to be just like the sets.

I think you’re the only one here who’s thought it looked like a metru build.

3 Likes

Yes, probably. I’m also of the opinion that I’m still right, even though the four or five people arguing with me at this early hour think differently.

EDIT: TTV you’re getting on my nerves man, you edit my quote out again and I’ll show you that one gag from honeymooners

1 Like

As the one who inadvertantly started this, I will say: I wanted a gear function for my own satisfaction. Yeah, it wouldn’t even technically be canon, since the mocs aren’t canon, the art is. I just wanted to be able to say I had one.

Nope.
And even if they are… Norik is Metru red. He also has a black torso. So torso needn’t match main color.

So… to the people that praise this one piece of plastic, would an upside down metru Torso count as a Metru build, then?
I’m genuinely curious.

And I’ve countered it.

I thought it was Metru build. In fact, I wouldn’t have known it lacked a Metru Torso if I hadn’t taken a closer look.

Thank you!
Also I am not saying that it should be required but I am not going to vote for something without a metru torso, and a gear function. I want the team to look GOOD and FEEL right right next to each other. I don’t want it to feel like a crazy mishnmash

1 Like

They literally are, you’ve already been shown the greg quote.

No body is owed the ability to enter these contests, if they do not have the parts or desire to abide by the contests rules, there’s really no helping them.

2 Likes

It’s close, but something seems… off.

I think the torso is either a little short, or the lower chest is a little wide.

The waistcape might also be throwing me off. I’m not saying that the waistcape is what makes it not a Metru build, but it does obscure the waist and lower torso a little, and it makes it tricky for me to judge if the proportions are good.

In this context, “Metru build” literally just refers to the torso.

…so are you gonna give an actual reason WHY the proportions define the build, or are you just gonna say they do without backing that up in any capacity whatsoever?

You say that, but can you actually explain WHY it’s ridiculous when the community at large, as evidenced by Metru March and the variety of constructions therein, only consistently applies this definition based on the torso? You can have totally custom limbs, but it’ll be a Metru build. Without defining the build around this core, we’re left with a ship of Theseus.

Here’s the thing: they technically can, but that’s not going to work out. Even if TTV doesn’t implement explicit rules stating that the Hagah must roughly match Norik and Iruini’s proportions, the general votership will inevitably skew towards entries which fit next to them. Your 4-foot strawman won’t win any contests and may even be disqualified as “bad faith” entry. Might it meet the technical requirements? It could. Will that matter? Hell no.

2 Likes

You mean the one where he just replies with a question?
Yes, that’s very definitive, and leaves no room for debate whatsoever.

Okay, so you keep bringing this up, and I would like to say: it’s easier to make a metru build by using the metru torso piece, than to attempt a custom torso. That’s why people do it. MANDATING it on that logic, though, is silly.

1 Like

Because these are the proportions used in every Metru March.

I have exactly as much reason to say the proportions define the build as you do to say that the torso defines the build.

If this was a fact, this discussion wouldn’t be happening. You can’t just say “Metru build should only refer to the torso because Metru build only refers to the torso”.

A rhetorical question, yes. If it’ll put you at ease you’re welcome to ask TTV to get greg to clarify.

1 Like

I think Eljay has said they plan to ask Greg about these things anyway, so I’d say just add Hagah colors to the list.

I’mma be honest, though: even if Greg says the colors can be whatever, there is a 99% chance the winning mocs will match their rahaga colors. I only argue that it isn’t technically canon because I’m pedantic like that.

Or maybe it’s because the Metru build is defined by that torso, and using that torso is the entire point of MM. Has anyone submitted a MM entry with a custom torso? I’ve never seen it.

The proportions aren’t always the exact same, though. For one, look at the Hagah themselves, which have noticeably longer arms. Nor are all Metru builds in general the same–go back to Zaria, who has more “heroic” proportions than the Toa Metru.

You really don’t. This is the first time I’ve ever seen someone try to say that proportions make any build, considering the variety we get in the Inika build.

1 Like

This is also the first time I’ve seen someone say that a single piece defines a build.

1 Like

That definition is, as you may have noticed, up for debate.

For one, you don’t represent the community at large. I’m not arguing them, I’m arguing you, and even if the mass support of the community is behind your opinion, I’m still arguing your opinion and the logic of your argument.

Two, it’s ridiculous for the sole reason that the theoretical gremlin monstrosity looks nothing like a Toa Metru and yet still qualifies under your description. If the torso defines the build, any monstrosity using the torso qualifies as a Metru build, albeit a wacky one. That is ridiculous.

If a Metru build is not in any part defined by its proportions, and only by one piece in its body, I challenge the canon contest as a whole for being inane. Yes, it’s utterly ridiculous to claim the build is entirely based around the one piece making up the torso of something with the exact same proportions doesn’t qualify.

So are you arguing that the Metru build is based around the torso piece because you think it is, or so that we don’t have a wild debate over technicalities?

Hoseryx got second place by a very thin margin.

I could get it to win no problemo. Just meet the minimum TTV requires, and get the right communities on board. Hoseryx part 2 here we go

1 Like

Yes, they are. I wouldn’t be opposed to a black torso on anyone else, but I think it’s silly to contradict Greg by allowing other pieces just so Bomonga could have a gray torso or whatever. Every Hagah has at least one viable color that they need in their color scheme anyway.

Pohatu’s a Mata build. He has a Mata torso and is similar in size to the other Mata. By that logic, yes, an upside down Metru torso is a Metru build IMO. I’ve seen them before, they look surprisingly good.

Then they can buy a Metru torso or they can wait for a different contest. Rules should be accommodating, but Metru torsos aren’t too hard to get. They don’t cost more than a dollar on Bricklink (yes, I checked). What if someone wanted to enter the Artakha contest but didn’t have any green pieces?

This point has been brought up a few times, and I think it holds quite true. Watching how people vote in these polls is always very interesting, and you certainly see a good portion of people trending toward the common headspace in terms of what characters should look like. I tend to agree that chances are, most people will be entering and/or voting for a specific appearance for a lot of the Hagah.

Yeah, no. We’re not playing those games again.

2 Likes

And a rule was introduced to stop that from ever happening again.

2 Likes

Behold, a metru build.

2 Likes