BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

There’s almost a part of me that wants to draw this for the group shot portion just for the heck of it, but I don’t think I could showcase each character well in doing so

3 Likes

I think the Hagah shield might be slightly too small for that. It’d definitely be worth a shot, though.

6 Likes

I always pictured it as armor or absolutely swole

before he got his patented laser vision, the shadowed one executed prisoners by crushing their heads between his pecs

Someone’s gonna attempt this in stud.io, mark my works

5 Likes

Wahoo!!!
but now I’m gonna have to come up with a custom torso… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

There is no physical gender dimorphism in the MU. So let me ask this - why do you seek to apply these features to Gaaki in specific, and not Kualus? Because she’s the girl? If so, that doesn’t really track with how Toa work. Not expecting an answer here, just think about it. What are you intentions?

On an entirely different note; is there any requirement for painted parts, or the artwork, to (approximately) match official LEGO colors?

11 Likes

At this point its partly in fault to the community. There are definitely strings of mocs (not necessarily in these contests specifically) that get posted that have pervasions about them that got support. It got enabled.

Definitely not a stupid thick Iruini though

5 Likes

I still think there shouldn’t be a ban on stuff that illustrates a certain figure, rather ban entries that are obviously attempting to be overly inappropriate. However, I won’t complain about this if it really helps prevent those bad entries from happening.

I definitely agree with all of this. I’d only add that, please remember these are canon contests, not creativity contests. Because if the last two contests and the way this contest seems to be going are any indication, people are more interested in voting for MOCs that are either video game characters or better suited as BioCup entries, rather than actual canon entries that would fit in with what has come before. There’s a whole other aesthetic going that can’t really be reconciled.

12 Likes

Just for curoisity. I have read before that are ways to make look a character femenine without giving her a bigger butt or chest. I don’t think they need to look different from a male character, but what things make them look femenine? Heels, long hair (they don’t have hair), a skinny body, the use “girly colors”, be grayish brown (like some birds) or been bigger than males (like some insects)?

To preemptively clarify Wolk’s point, this is presumably in cases where all of the parts of that colour on the MOC are painted, as opposed to half the parts being one colour and the others being painted to replicate that colour. @CalamitousT’s pink Pouks is a good example of the former.

I’d argue painted parts should match official colours. However the fact that CT’s Pouks wasn’t banned suggests TTV doesn’t consider it a problem, or nobody complained about it and so the rule wasn’t added.

1 Like

Is that really so hard to grasp? Narrow shoulders, wider hips and thicker thighs (even if it’s just a slight difference) can be enough to communicate that a certain character is supposed to be female without going overboard with high heels, long hair (which look ridiculous on a moc), some weird color shenanigans or giving the figure a butt and/or a chest made of Nuva shoulders or Rahkshi heads.

That being said, those pieces can be used tastefully as those specific body parts and when done so, they can work wonders when it comes to giving the moc proper shaping. I don’t think we should be discouraged from using them, nor should we get out knickers in a twist at the mere sight of them.

4 Likes

It’s irrelevant to Bionicle canon either way.

Sexual dimorphism just isn’t a thing among MU species. Maybe Glatorian have it, but we have a sample size of one and that’s not enough to say for certain.

The Metru and Inika used near-identical builds for all of their number. Among the varied Toa, Gali Mistika has the same build as Tahu with pauldrons that make her look a little bigger, Hahli Mahri has the same upper torso piece as them and Hewkii, which is itself just as wide as the upper torso piece used for all but one of the others.

And then within the Mata/Nuva, Gali is consistently among the bulkiest of her team. Gali Nuva uses leg pieces for her arms, making them chunkier than the much thinner parts used for the arms of most of her brothers, and Gali Mata has wider shoulders than Kopaka, Lewa, and Pohatu.

Speaking of, the only Bionicle character with wider hips and narrower shoulders compared to other members of their species is… Pohatu. A guy.

So while small deviations are evidently possible within MU species, it’s not based on biological sex (because they don’t have those), and if you follow patterns then female Toa should be brawnier than the male ones (Which would actually track considering all of our samples are Water Toa and therefore they’d be adapted for the greater pressures and water resistance that comes with being submerged).

16 Likes

Isn’t it kind of sexualization, too?

I don’t know why you’re getting so worked up over this lol.

Yeah it’s irrelevant to Bionicle canon but it’s kinda relevant to the audience, yknow? In fiction, we as humans tend to give non-human characters human features to make them easier to relate to. That’s why most good guys in Bionicle have two legs and two arms and fairly human proportions as opposed to the villains who have more animalistic silhouettes.

Take a look at any film featuring andropomorphic animals. Do they need to be andropomorphic? Well, not really. It just makes things easier for us as the audience. Now take a look at Transformers or, idk, robots from the movie “Robots”. Is there any lore reason as for why males and females look different in those franchises? Not really. They just do. Because they were made by humans for human audiences, and we just tend to project what’s natural for us into the fictional universes we create.

You’re wrong about one thing - that there isn’t sexual dimorphism among MU spieces. There is, in the movies (inb4 “the movie designs aren’t canon” - they are as canon as the ones in any other media). As for the sets, most of it comes down to the fact that set designers had to work with a limited piece selection and budget, and most of the time they didn’t even know which character they were designing (Tahu Mistika was originally going to be Gali, they just swapped colors later in the production). That lead to some female characters looking overly masculine (Hahli Inika, Gali Mistika). Which, frankly, kinda sucks.

(EDIT: also another reason might be that Lego didn’t want female characters to look like females, fearing that might scare the primary target audience - young boys - from buying those sets. Which wasn’t very poggers of them)

Bionicle overall has had very few female characters that look feminine (as opposed to many male characters that are very clearly masculine - I mean, just look at Axonn for example). And I think now, with these contests, we have a chance to change that, as there’s nothing really wrong with doing it.

Now that isn’t to say that those characters should have big Nuva butts, obviously, but I get a feeling that (at least some) people on this forum just can’t accept the idea of any feminine traits in female characters. And that’s just kinda silly. Like, a male character with broad shoulders and a chest so wide he can’t even look down? That’s ok. But a female character with more prominent hips or - god forbid - chest? That’s a big no-no.

4 Likes

You seem to be getting a little more worked up over it tbh

10 Likes

Maybe… but AM I REALLY? :smirk:

Impossible to tell inflection online, but it does seem that way.
One of the big concerns I think I could break down from your argument (oversimplified) is the canon contest mindsets of ‘purists vs moc-ists’

As you point out, you see these contests as a chance to ‘change’ things and make it different but a lot of the fan base doesn’t want to rewrite Bionicle reteoactively with these competitions, simply contribute to it.
I can see what you’re saying but I just disagree with it.

1 Like

Is it really rewriting though? I mean, I’m not talking about Gaaki here if that’s what you’re thinking, I’m all for her being a normal Metru build (same with Tuyet tbh), but for characters like Lariska or Johmak (if she ever gets a canon contest)? I don’t see how them having silhouettes that better reflect their genders would cause any harm to the canon.

3 Likes

Kind of similar to how female armor has never really looked like this when made for practicality

But more like this

Being female doesn’t mean always being stripped down and hyper figurized to your secondary sex traits (which they do not even possess)

9 Likes

Which… isn’t what I was suggesting

1 Like