BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

You can also make a feminine character with humanoid anatomy without making them sexualized and objectifying. There’s a huge middle ground, people just don’t use it.

15 Likes

Exactly.

Now this? This is beautiful. Thank god for this, because after some of the Helryx entries and that Gaaki, I was dreading how that specific subset of the community would handle Tuyet, Lariska, Chiara, etc.

IIRC we have exactly the opposite kicking about somewhere. I’m like 90% sure that Greg has very clearly specified that Lariska is not a Vortixx.

13 Likes

Would using a roodaka like body design be that bad? Personally I would’ve restricted it to rahkshi heads or visorak feet. They are technically vague enough.

Also, wasn’t there a male vortixx with a similar design to roodaka in a comic?

Note: I’m not going against the rule. I’m just curious.

1 Like

Very glad to see this, especially with Tuyet and Lariska’s contests coming up.

4 Likes

I figured most people would do a Metru build for Tuyet? But obviously will be better than the Hagah because less restrictive even if you had a Metru build.

Yes, the Vortixx design is unisex. The males have the Visorak foot “hair”, the Nuva claw on the butt, the heeled feet, and that chestplate too. We know this because Roodaka’s partner for her climb of the Mountain is just the same as her but green, and he’s a dude.

However, as far as we know, those traits are unique to Vortixx, and wouldn’t be fitting for any other species. Of course, this hasn’t stopped certain aspects of the fandom from applying those traits or similar to every species in Bionicle, and exclusively to the female ones, for reasons that don’t really need explaining.

Several such MOCs have been entered into the contests, specifically for Helryx and Gaaki, and for that reason, I’m glad that Eljay and TTV have taken the decision to put a moratorium on that going forward, especially with Lariska nearing the chopping block.

Logically, yes, Tuyet would be a Metru. However, Greg hasn’t definitively stated that she is the same build as Lhikan, nor has he done so with Nidhiki. And as Tuyet is next, right off the back of a mandated Metru build contest, I would expect there to be a lot of varied entries just for the sake of variety.

Tuyet’s also a character who interacts with pretty much the entire cast in the same form. We see her dealing with 2004-2005 scale characters during her scenes with Lhikan, Nidhiki, and the Dark Hunters. We see her dealing with 2001-2003 scale characters like Takanuva in Dark Mirror and Helryx and the Matoran in Reign of Shadows. We see her dealing with 2006-2009 scale characters like Matoro and Teridax/Maxilos in Into the Darkness (Albeit as a corpse) and Axonn, Brutaka, Miserix, Lewa Phantoka/Tren Krom, and Artakha in Reign of Shadows.

Basically Tuyet could theoretically be in any scale and of any build, and after the Hagah contest I doubt we’re going to see her build be limited to one or another.

10 Likes

Do you think they will ask Greg for clarification of Tuyet’s build before the contest to confirm if she is a Metru build or not?

Also, I’m only saying a variation of the roodaka build would work with Lariska only if there is some lore somewhere that says people mistake her for a Vortixx, but that seems to be up in the air in terms of accuracy.

Honestly I wouldn’t take the comic design that literally. They weren’t exactly “high art” even at the time, and with such a rushed production schedule it makes sense the artist would copy-paste Roodaka’s design, rather than create something more original. Moreover, this era of the comics especially were error prone (you seriously can’t go a single page without something popping up). The very fact that Roodaka’s partner was green is itself an error, since all Vortixx wear black armor. (The rest of your point still stands though, Arcan).

4 Likes

I urge people to pay close attention to the permissions given.

Edit: and also to focus on the design of character, moreso than picture/render quality

10 Likes

I would like to see if they will allow custom parts or renders again for the Lariska contest. Because I just saw a good moc using a custom chest plate from a parts pack for stud.io. But that might not work with their rules depending on what they establish.

Here’s my Lariska design I made a while back. My goal was a slightly feminine figure, hopefully nothing that would be of concern. Do let me know though, as this can be a bit subjective.

10 Likes

I dig it

1 Like

I used the same design for the chest on version one of my Moc but wanted her to see her feet so I changed it in version two to a Slizer head. To me your Moc seems fine and not rule breaking, any other input I would give would be on unrelated design choices.

:point_up_2:
This
:eye: :lips: :eye:
I reckon ignore fancy backgrounds or lighting, those things certainly are nice but are not what it is all about, even potato quality photos contain good Mocs upon second viewing.

5 Likes

No. No they will not.

Even if they intended to at some point, after the arguments that ensued surrounding the Hagah rules, I doubt they’d want to.

Nope. We’re not hunting for restrictions. Unless there is a quote that states one way or the other, we’re not applying any Metru build restrictions to any contests going forward.

12 Likes

Who’s complaining about a Roodaka type Vortixx build? We all know who really has the largest chest around:

But I guess I understand if people are too afraid to complain about him, lest they be incinerated.

In all seriousness though, there are two ways to look at the Vortixx.

1. Wearing feminine armor is a sign of honor and power. As the females are dominant among the Vortixx, it would go to reasoning that their armor could display more feminine traits to signal their power and prestige.
  2. Their armor isn’t highly feminine at all. As displayed with The Shadowed One, the anatomy of the Bionicle universe seems to include body types with large chests with slimmer waists and other figures. This is not at all uncommon in the reality that we all live in- their are many men and otherwise athletic people who have this type of musculature.

Although there is no denying the overtly misused feminization of builds in general, it may be possible that many are over-examining the issues and finding problems where there is none.

9 Likes

This is so good for me. It extends the everyone’s creative in the contest. :grinning:
((Off course metru-build are good, but I think it mustn’t be a forcely rule)

6 Likes

SAD!

I see we’re following the steps of the Transformers fandom that loaths the idea of anything feminine

4 Likes