BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Huh.

Glad someone found that before the contest, thatā€™s good to know.

Doesnā€™t seem soā€¦

1 Like

This is what Iā€™d root for too, though Iā€™m open to something else if we get something unique. I naturally assumed Helryx would be dark blue, probably because she was a post-03 set when Mata blue vanished. But Iā€™m happy with the colour scheme we got.

I wouldnā€™t go nearly as far for me personally, though the Hagah I was especially concerned for. However I think for the time being, everything on this subject has been said.
Iā€™m telling you this because you know me better than most here and thus might take my argument more seriously: I think we need to concede that people who take canon as seriously as we do are in a minority (so much so that it makes us sound esoteric at times). Weā€™re not wrong for taking it seriously - itā€™s how our passion manifests. But weā€™d also be wrong for demanding the contests end just because of that.

5 Likes

Book calls it yellow. The movie actually gives him two tones, one matching Jallerā€™s yellow and one more golden. My impression is that, either way, it is natural. May be worth noting Jaller also had gold armor as a Toa Inika.
Doesnā€™t seem farfetched when Matoro/Nuparu Mahri, Mazeka, or technically even Kirop in his Onu-Matoran disguise, can use silver :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I missed this point. Thank you!
(And by this information, my brain has overheated. Oh Gregā€¦ :cry:)

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I said :wink: Did you misread Jaller as Lhikan?

1 Like

This Tuyet moc uses that color combo :grin:

I, too, support gunmetal Tuyet. It could give off a a harsh ā€œmilitaristicā€ feel, which I think would suit her well.

Iā€™d prefer to see mostly brown mocs, just to make her more unique and interesting. There arenā€™t many brown bionicle characters (compared to other colors, at least)

4 Likes

hmm metru blue and gunmetal? Iā€™ll have to experiment with that.

2 Likes

I love this MOC!:heart:

1 Like

My Tuyet moc technically has pink if you count one sticker I havenā€™t removed yet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The fundamental wrong to me is that a generally less caring faction dictates things to a generally more caring faction and a meaningful way of making ourselves heard (a poll) is actively withheld from us.

A big problem for me also stays this:
If there is interest in seeing depictions of undepicted characters, that is all fine, but once getting that comes at a cost for someone else (by being made canon) without a gain for the future (Bionicle is over), I have trouble seeing the moral justification behind it.
Itā€™s like shattering someoneā€™s favored possession and then placing something else they never asked for on the remaining shards.

But perhaps someone here can help me understand that.

Perhaps I, as someone who cares about canon and minute details probably just as much, can offer my perspective.

These canon contests, I feel, donā€™t really deeply impact canon all that much, at least so far. Take for example Helryx ā€“ we already knew her mask, her weapons, her colors (even the specific shade, if that quote had been found before the contest). None of these details were established by the contest. The only thing we got is what she looked like. Doesnā€™t really ā€˜destroyā€™ that much headcanon/fanon.

There are, of course, varying levels of this. For example, the Hagah have unknown metallic colors, but Iā€™d still say thatā€™s a fairly minor detail. Their mask shapes are a bit more important, seeing as it establishes the mask of whoever theyā€™re honoring, but still nothing too major. The TYQ Toa have unknown masks/weapons, and Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m a bit iffy on them ā€“ but theyā€™re still Toa, we know their basic colors, so itā€™s not establishing everything.

The one Iā€™m strongly against is Marendar, seeing as we know next to nothing about him. A contest for him would establish literally everything about a popular character ā€“ including suggesting how he kills Toa. Iā€™m fine with the rest of the contests, but when it comes up, I will vote against having a Marendar contest.

Looking at the next two, thereā€™s few unknown details to be established about them. Tuyetā€™s weapon/mask power are known. Lariskaā€™s colors/weapons are known, and most people tend to have the same general idea of her appearance, based on the description. (Out-there entries like giant eyeball Lariska probably wonā€™t win).

Basically, I donā€™t think that the canon contests so far are as bad as you make them out to be. Thatā€™s not to say youā€™re wrong for feeling that way, of course ā€“ heck, I feel that way about Marendar (and to a lesser extent, the TYQ Toa, but Iā€™ve accepted that theyā€™ll happen if the contests continue). Just thought Iā€™d share my perspective.

8 Likes

I donā€™t feel that itā€™s really that big of a deal. Many people in the fanbase and on the boards are interested in seeing these characters be depicted, and I donā€™t see how that costs you anything. If you dislike the winners, just make your own MOVs that you do like. Nobodyā€™s stopping you from doing that, and people have been creating MOVs of characters who have been depicted for a very long time. None of the winning MOCs contradict canon in any way so far, and TTV is doing their best to ensure that none will.

To refer to your earlier reply to Eljay, you can always ignore the results of the canon contest, because, as you said, Bionicle is over. TTV cannot ignore the discussions occurring on their boards, because they are attempting to facilitate civil and productive discussion.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, that is not how canon works.

Everyone can build their own versions of characters right now whether they care for canon or not. With there being a canon, the group caring about canon loses the ability to create their true own version.

I am very much questioning whether canon contests should force people into a situation where they have to either abdicate from canon or abdicate from their own opinions.

Helryx uses the wrong blue
and is skinny vs battle-worn

2 Likes

This is an argument I see a lot, and while it is fine for some people, I donā€™t think it works for people who really care about canon.

To take a page out of Eljayā€™s handbookā€¦

imagine youā€™re a kid, and you like chocolate pie. You really want chocolate pie for your birthday, and your parents get you banana pie. Their reasoning? ā€œWell, other people eat it all the time, so it must be good.ā€

I prefer to adhere to canon. Iā€™ve mocced a character with a depiction at least once*, for fun, but I recognized that wasnā€™t how they looked and it was just a ā€œwhat ifā€ thing. Usually I try to adhere to canon, both in my stories and my mocs. I will acknowledge anything established by these contests in my own stories, if it comes up, and I expect Gilahu feels the same.

*By ā€œat least onceā€ I mean this is the only instance I can remember off the top of my head, but there could be more

2 Likes

I still fail to see how the contests mean that canon-lovers (I myself quite enjoy canon) are losing out on something. You can still make a Helryx MOV.

Also, while Helryx is almost certainly skinny due to misunderstanding the quote, one could argue that she is about as skinny as the Toa Mata were. This would make sense, given that sheā€™s the first Toa.

I donā€™t see how this is relevant.

EDIT: The only way I can see the contests negatively impacting canon lovers is maybe a MOC will win that they donā€™t like, which can happen to everyone. As far as Iā€™m aware, TTV is working to ensure that these MOCs will be as canon-compliant as possible.

Itā€™s not about liking canon - itā€™s about adhering to canon because itā€™s canon.

Yeah, what does a canon-adherent lose from these contests? I still am not seeing.

Itā€™s a matter of very few (or at least I assume very few) people holding this view, and the risk of disappointing those people is arguably outweighed by the benefit of the contests to others.

In a surprising turn of events, Iā€™m going to be the voice of Eljay and say this exact debate has been had already. When Iā€™m back at my computer, I can refer you back to that debate so we donā€™t repeat ourselves unnecessarily.

4 Likes

Guess I could be clearer. You say ā€œif you donā€™t like the results, just make your own mocs.ā€ And yeah, people can do that, but it doesnā€™t change whatā€™s canon. People who prefer not to ignor canon could just ignore these contestsā€¦ in the same way that someone who prefers chocolate cake could eat banana.

1 Like

Please do. My understanding of the debate here is going nowhere.