BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

My bad, then. I was arguing against mandatory rules (“must be taller/shorter than Model X”), not suggestions.

In hindsight, I maybe shouldn’t have quoted @The_Hollowest_Knight , since that argument was more for a suggestion than a hard rule.

1 Like

Actually, on that specific point, there’s actually precedent in-text for the shiny bits not being consistent across the Mangai. In their appearance in Legacy of Evil, Lhikan is described as “Red and Gold”, and Nidhiki is then immediatly described as “Emerald”. Not silver and emerald, not platinum and emerald, just emerald. Which means that, at least for those two, the color distributions are not the same. Which means there’s no reason for it to be the same for the other 9 mangai…which includes Tuyet.

She may have a silver chest piece/sholder armor distributed just like Lhikan, I don’t know. But the text never mandates one way or the other. Which means it should be up to the MOCist, unless someone finds something I missed.

1 Like

I was thinking of shaping rather than color; we don’t really know where armor begins and Nidhiki’s body begins, mostly because we haven’t even picked out a design for him yet and we haven’t settled on what “all green” really looks like.

3 Likes

Pedantic alert: there’s a difference between color and shaping. I think anyone would agree that Lhikan and Vakama are armored nigh identically, even though their color layout is very different. And on the flip side, Nuparu Mahri and Whenua Metru have similar color layout (except for the mask and hands) but their armor is clearly different.

2 Likes

I may be wrong, but that’s empress Tuyet’s weapon. While it is most likely, it was never established that prime Tuyet had the same weapon.

2 Likes

…Can we just agree that Greg intended for Tuyet to have a Barbed Broadsword and therefore it should be a requirement for the contest?

6 Likes

We can talk forever about the minutiae of Bionicle design language, but the pertinent point here is whether a rule/guideline is warranted for this contest. It also makes for slightly fewer hundred posts for others to read through.

It seems fairly clear that there isn’t sufficient reason for a hard rule for any particular design frame, and frankly there isn’t anything much that warrants a guideline other than a very vague ‘wouldn’t look out of place next to Lhikan’.

Re: Broadswordgate, I’d hope the mods get guidance on that issue the same time the Hagah results are sent over, but who knows. I’d personally prefer her prime version to have a Broadsword but I don’t think there’s currently a strong enough case for it to be mandated.

8 Likes

Oh, I agree, so we have a two for one in canon apperance. I just wanted to unnecessarily introduce another discussion topic

IMO the broadsword shouldn’t be required, but alternative weapons should be banned. Even if she did have the broadsword as her primary weapon, she was often without it in the story.

3 Likes

Even if she didn’t always carry it*, this is the only canonical appearance we’ll get of her. It should show her fully equipped, just like the Hagah were required to have their spears and shields.

*and that’s debatable; There’s a line in RoS(A) that implies she has it and another that implies she doesn’t(B)

A: Helryx avoided Tuyet’s slashing attack

B: Taking advantage of the moment, [Tuyet] wrested [Axonn]'s axe from him. [implying she needed a weapon]

4 Likes

I doubt a swordless Tuyet would win. IMO the canon doesn’t require she carry it, so it should be up to voters’ choice. There’s also no saying a broadsword contest couldn’t be held in the future, there have been weapon contests before.

On RoS, the weapon as described by Greg doesn’t seem it’d be good at slashing.

tuyet has 4 arms so she can have a sword and an axe

1 Like

I mean, a sword is pretty good at slashing, IMO, but that’s not the point; the point is that how would she do a slashing attack with no weapon?

1 Like

slashing karate chop, obvs

1 Like

A sword with barbs pointing towards the hilt doesn’t seem optimized for that, though. Not a weapons guy so I could be wrong (I suppose to be fair Greg isn’t either so anything goes). I don’t know what Greg intended by slashing, but I don’t know if it’s confirmation of a specific weapon.

Well, yeah, it’s not confirmation of anything; I’m just pointing out that one line implies she has a weapon, and another line in the same chapter implies she’s unarmed. Maybe Greg forgot she was unarmed, or maybe she thought Axonn’s ridiculously oversized axe would be better to knock Miserix down.

It wouldn’t be the first time Greg forgot what gear a character has; in Brothers in arms, Vultraz stops short of stabbing a mask that Mazeka isn’t wearing, and in Dark Destiny, Onua tosses aside Quake Breakers that he doesn’t have at the time because the Piraka took them.

What is confirmation is the fact that he said he’d reveal Tuyet’s weapon in the Story Serials and then gave her a Barbed Broadsword in the Story Serials. Even if it is an alternate Tuyet, there’s no doubt that he intended for a Barbed Broadsword to be the weapon of primary Tuyet.

Edit: while looking for images of a Barbed Broadsword, I found this awesome design.

I am even further in support that the Barbed Broadsword design should be decided by the art, because this would certainly have to be a 3d model.

6 Likes

This.

Like…we can be technical, the only quotes regarding the Barbed Broadsword specifically in-text are in reference to Empress tuyet having it. There’s also several Greg quotes where the question asker refers to the main Tuyet having the barbed broadsword, and greg doesn’t correct them, but that’s not exactly definitive in the slightest.

But…guys…we all know she has a Barbed Broadsword, right? I know, technicalities, but, like…she definitely has a barbed broadsword. Tuyet would be a massive, massive outlier among characters with alternate universe depictions if this wasn’t the case.

There’s also more definitive, descriptive quotes on what the Barbed Broadsword looks like than Tuyet ever got, but that’s neither here nor there.

7 Likes

Since you’re the guy with all the Tuyet quotes right now, do you happen to have the one where Greg said her weapon would be revealed in the serials? I know it was posted somewhere, but I can’t find it.

3 Likes

I don’t have it, and I honestly am not sure where he would have said it. I do believe you that it exists though. I can do some digging.

Would also like to stress, based on me attributing a quote to greg that wasn’t greg only two hours ago, I am not authoratative in my quotes lol.

EDIT: That took two seconds, wow.

Q: What was Tuyet’s Mask power and weapon power?

A: This will actually be revealed soon on BIONICLEstory.com

EDIT: I made a further extrapolation in an earlier edit from that quote, but that extrapolation forgot that Into The Darkness exists. Clearly, I’m making mistakes right now, so I think I’ll step back from Tuyet canonization conversations for the day in order to avoid introducing confusion again.

1 Like

There’s two.

The first one isn’t direct, but Greg apparently said that her weapon would be revealed in Into The Darkness, though this eventually fell through:

This promise was likely extrapolated from the quote that @JMSOG just posted.

Then, after Into The Darkness was complete, Greg eventually said that it would be “when she appears in the story”:

It should be noted, though, that “whenever it happens in the story” is a somewhat common response from Greg, and he himself usually didn’t know when, if ever, this would be. On its own, him saying this doesn’t necessarily indicate that he actually had anything specific planned. However, when taken together with the fact that he had previously promised an actual reveal, it seems more likely that this specific instance of the answer actually had intent behind it.

4 Likes