BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Wait, when will the voting for Tuyet start.
In a few months?

We have no set date or estimate.

1 Like

Yeah, the Helryx-Artakha solution worked perfectly before,* and it set a precedent that characters with known mask power but unknown shape should be decided that way (as opposed to the Hagah, who set the precedent that purely unknown shape should be decided the Hagah way).

*Contingent, of course, on whether you liked Helryx and Artakha’s final mask designs. Personally, I’m a big fan of both.

3 Likes

Ok here is my definitive feedback and arguments for @Eljay’s questions.

1) Barbed Broadsword - it should definitelly be included. There is exactly zero evidence against prime Tuyet weilding it, and all the evidence for it. Greg specifically said he would reveal Tuyet’s tool in the upcomming serial (and he did).
Also, the alternate versions of characters always have the same masks and tools as their prime universe counterparts, unless there is a very specific reason for otherwise (such as the Melding AU, etc.). Not only are the tools shared between universes by default, but there are in fact other toa tools which have only explicitly appeared in alternate universes, such as recently canonized Seismic spear and Sub-zero spear. The point about the Barbed Broadsword only appearing in AU is therefore utterly non-applicable as a counter argument.
Since we want our characters to be fully equiped with their standard gear, its inclussion should be mandated at least at some stage of the contest.

2) Nui Stone - this object’s inclusion is also necessary at some point during the contest. Here are the reasons.
Nui Stone is in fact a standard equipment for Tuyet and it is no exaggeration to say it is her primary signature weapon. She has had it pretty much her entire life as a Toa - for an undisclosed period of time on her home island and then ever since she moved to Metru Nui the Nui Stone was still in her possession (and in use).
Even after her exile, she has been using it for tousands of years to drain other Toa of their Toa Power and by her own admission considered it her personal superweapon. In other universes as a direct consequence of her usage identical to that in prime reality, she became widely known as “The wielder of the Nui Stone”. It is an integral part of not only her arsenal, but her entire character - at one point it was LITERALLY a part of her being.
It is for these reasons Tuyet should have her Nui Stone with her in the intact form (since she spent the most time with that form). It is even more important than the Barbed Broadsword. Even if only in the artwork, but it has to be there. There is no Tuyet without Nui Stone.

3)Re-using Helryx entries for Tuyet - yes of course. This was already allowed during the Helryx contest and as other have pointed out is even in the rules.

4) The build - there is none reason to mandate any kind of build and should be left for creativity of entrants. If anything, entrants should be encouraged (though again not mandated) to make Tuyet visually distict from Lhikan.
Toa Mangai are not originally fro the same team. They came together from all corners of the universe to finght of a threat and only stuck together afetr the fact. Even more relevant to this particular contest, we know Tuyet explicitly came from adifferent homeland than Lhikan, so there is no reason for any parity between the at all.

And there it is.

10 Likes

You mean the reverse right, Lhikan and tuyet wears similar armor according to greg quotes.

“I don’t know, but it is reasonable to assume the other Mangai looked like Lhikan.”

That is neither definitive nor specific to Tuyet.

5 Likes

Yes but I was responding to this:

Since he specified “distinct from lhikan” though the greg quote you provided leans more towards what I said:

though its not confirmed it should probably be something along this in my opinion if it is ever going to be a guideline/rule:

there is no reason to mandate any kind of build and should be left for creativity of entrants. If anything, entrants should be encouraged (though again not mandated) to make Tuyet visually similar too Lhikan.

1 Like

It definitely applies to Tuyet, since she was a Toa Mangai.

However, that doesn’t really matter, since you’re certainly right about it not being definitive. “Looked like” is pretty subjective. The only way that I could see a rule like that being enforceable would be to mandate that every part of her armour be identical to Lhikan’s, which is obviously ridiculous.

Beyond that, there’s really no way to determine what armour designs “look like” each other.

And even after all that, the quote only says that it’s “reasonable” to “assume” that they looked like each other. That on its own introduces a ton of ambiguity, regardless of how definitive “looked like” is interpreted to be.

4 Likes

Just want to let you know that what was being argued is over me simply commenting on his use of “Distinct” the suggestion he made could still be in place but the wording should probably be similar too rather than distinct from.

EDIT: it sounds odd to say the armor doesn’t have to look different from lhikan but it should definately be engouraged that it looks different. That’s why I got hung up on the wording.

EDIT2: But I dunno I feel like people are getting hung up on something so insignficant that I said anyway so how about we drop it. Sounds fair?

You know, I wonder if maletoaofwater, the person who asked greg that question about the mangai’s builds on a whim, knew that it would lead a bunch of adults debating exactly what it meant a whole 7 years later.

I don’t mean that disparagingly at all, it’s just wild that what was effectively a random post on a lego messageboard would have this significant and long-term of an impact.

8 Likes

Just wanted to weigh in on the Nui stone. I think it should be banned from the MOC portion.

If it’s mandated then it’ll likely end up being an afterthought for a lot of people and quite frankly there’s just not that much wiggle room to work with making a red stone out of Lego. You’ll likely just see the same three crystal molds over and over again and it’ll get pretty annoying fast imo. Not to mention the posing limitations it puts on the entry photo. There’s only so many ways you can pose someone holding a sword and a crystal if that makes sense? I feel like it could become very visually repetitive.

If it’s not mandated, but just suggested, then we’ll end up with people voting for entries because they do or do not include it. Which would be a horrible situation. How many good entries could lose out just because they did or did not include a red stone?

4 Likes

Just make it a placeholder like the mask and the Hagah shields. Moccists are free to include it or not, but whatever they make won’t have any bearing on the art.

2 Likes

My Tuyet’s nui stone is just a red metru brain stalk, so I can see what you mean

2 Likes

and yet people still constantly weigh place holder masks in their voting preferences, that fix simply won’t work

2 Likes

I really don’t think this is a good reason for something to be prohibited. It would be equivalent to banning Metru-build Tuyets for being “boring,”

Do you have any examples?

If that really is an issue then 1) that’s very unfortunate, and 2) maybe the moderators could make it more clear that elements of the moc will be open to redesign in the art portion? Using highlighted text, for example, might help to ensure that voters understand.

my metru build Tuyet isn’t boring

2 Likes

whatever helps you sleep at night, Bukah :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I know. My point is that how mundane something is very subjective. How good a pose looks is subjective, too.

It doesn’t make sense to DQ an entry for those kinds of reasons in my opinion

2 Likes

And some people voted for Helryx’s that “looked like a Makuta” based on a misunderstanding of the line from Swamp of Secrets.

No matter what, some people will vote for whatever reason.

2 Likes

I heavily disagree with this.

I can understand why it might not be mandated (still disagree, but also understand), but it makes no sense to outright ban the inclusion of an item that Tuyet has been explicitly confirmed to wield on multiple occasions, and that has more story time than her actual Toa Tool.

Is there, though? I have just as much reason to say “there’s only so many ways you can pose someone holding a spear and a shield”, or “… holding a shield and a mace”.

Regardless of whether your statement is true, though, I don’t see why that should affect the appearance of the entries (which is the entire point of these contests in the first place).

If the Nui Stone is really as simple and boring as you say, why couldn’t these entries include it?

At the end of the day, your entire point (and the point of many other arguments that I’ve seen) comes down to “the Nui Stone shouldn’t be included because it’s boring”, which makes very little sense to me. As has been said many, many times over the last ~18 months, these are canon contests, not “have as much fun with the design as you can” contests.

The Nui Stone has appeared alongside Tuyet in both of her major appearances (and with two alternate versions of her), and mandating its appearance is frankly one of the looser restrictions from any of these contests so far.

2 Likes

I don’t think he’s advocating to ban it from the whole contest. Just the MOC portion.

Which does make a modicum of sense – unless you’re gonna 3d print it, there’s only so many ways you can moc a rock*. But the art can surely do wonders with it

*There are many ways you can mock a rock, though. Ha! You stupid rock, you’re so dense. You’re cold hearted and hard headed! I bet your momma was round!

5 Likes