BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

This type of situation would also make Taipu and Hafu’s relationship ever more confusing. With this, any other hundreds of onu or po matoran could look like them.

3 Likes

I have a mostly accurate noble kakama model, so you could paint that instead of the actual part

2 Likes

Honestly I’m fine with asking Greg if they’re a Kakama and a Faxon. The worst he can say is no or that they’re actually other masks we don’t know of. The argument over what kind or variant is an interesting one, but one that will probably never get an answer.
Actually be right back. I’ll ask now

1 Like

I like to headcanon that there’s subtle differences even in “identical” Matoran, like the various different builds seen in Mask of Light among the matoran. Fun fact: Hafu has a different build from the generic Po-Matoran build in that movie, one that is also used for Kongu.

4 Likes

Jumping in unprompted with my jumbled thoughts on the last hundred or so posts.

The whole “regional variant” thing, canon wise, makes a lot of sense to me.

The vast, vast majority of kanohi we’ve seen more than once (and also have seen created in a normal way) have been on characters based in Metru Nui. It’s extremely probable that, if regional variants are a thing, that the “standard shapes” we’ve been seeing have actually just been the Metru Nui variant.

Yes, yes, I know Nidhiki and Mazeka have identical masks, and aren’t from metru nui. But they are from the same place: the Tren Krom Peninsula. That’s the Tren Krom Peninsula variant of the volitak that the ignika gave Nuparu for some reason.

It also helps explain a few quirks in the story, like why characters not knowing their own mask power is such a common trait. It doesn’t make sense unless there’s so many mask shapes that memorization is not practical.

Also, on the more extreme end, just food for thought…Pouk’s mask sure looks a lot more like a great version of Photok’s mask than the standard kakama does, huh…? just saying…

On the other hand…I agree that this is a bit of a huge thing to canonize as a result of the contests. Maybe even too much. I love the freedom that designing variants of existing masks grants to artists, but agree that it may be too much. I don’t know.

I do think that, on the topic of variants existing in a prevalent way though, it’s important to note that we don’t have a clear answer. No amount of debate will provide one, it doesn’t exist, we simply do not enough sources to conclude how common “regional variants” are, and discussing what IS true is a waste of time. The discussion we need to make sure we stay on instead is what SHOULD the community stance on variants be, and whether allowing them makes the contests better.

16 Likes

I’ll say down with variants, its enough with new shapes. I don’t like new shapes for the hagah but I can’t do anything about that.

Right now no Hagah looks like they are honoring anybody. The problem with the Hagah masks is that they can be misinterpreted as the standard shape for the Hagah mask powers. Because we have no reference for who their masks are referencing.

Similarly for tyq squad if a variant mask wins is it A) its normal mask power or B) a Hagah situation were its another mask power in the shape of a variant of an old or new mask that looks vaguely similar to say a pakari.

1 Like

If the Volitak originated from the Tren Krom Peninsula could that make the TK variant the original, and thus defult version?

1 Like

If I remember correctly, there’s a quote which says Volitaks aren’t made in Metru Nui. Add that to the fact that 3 characters, all share the same mask and I’d say that’s a standard shape. The Kualsi only has two wears and we consider it to be the original shape as well.
Here’s a bunch of quotes:

“2) Would an Arthon be created with a Sonic + Weaken disk?
3) Do you think that you could reveal some ways to make the newer masks with kanoka (since we know about the Garai)?
2) Since Arthron are not made in Metru Nui, they may very well not be made using disks
3) See answer to #2 – if the masks are not made in Metru Nui, no reason to believe they were made using Kanoka”
Official Greg Dialogue | Page 43

“7. Kadin VS Miru: When would you prefer one mask over the other? I know the difference between levitation and flight, but the Kadin just seems all-around useful.
7) When would you prefer a jet plane to a hot air balloon? We use both in our world, so both obviously have their uses. You also, if you live in Metru Nui for example, might not have access to a Kadin.”
Official Greg Discussion | Page 300

“3. Due to the fact that Nidhiki and Tuyet dwelled in Metru Nui, did the Ta-Matoran ever forge masks of Stealth or Intangibility? And with the current presence of the Volitak, Faxon, Arthron, Garai, and Zatth, and the knowledge of the Tryna, Suletu, Calix, Elda, Iden, Kadin, Sanok, Rode and Olmak in Metru Nui, might they try to forge them now? (Sorry about all the masks I mentioned, I just like to list things :P.)
3) They might not have the ability – what power a mask has depends on the liquid proto and the purity of it. If the liquid proto around Metru Nui does not lend itself to creating those masks or the purification process does not, then those masks can’t be created there.”
Official Greg Dialogue | Page 35

“1) What advantage does the Miru have over the Kadin? If none, why make the former?
2) What advantage does the Huna have over the Voltiak? If none, why make the former?
1-3) To start with, you are assuming that every mask maker has a choice of, say, Kadin or Miru. That’s not the case. There were no Kadin in Metru Nui, so obviously they did not have the option of making them there. To use your first question, why do we bother having hot air balloons if we have jets? As for the rest, Huna makes you invisible, Volitak does not – Volitak deadens the sound you make as you move, Huna does not. Ruru lets you see in the dark, Akaku does not”
Official Greg Dialogue | Page 36

7 Likes

I really like that. Pohatu wears an “early”/Metru Nui variant of the Kakama rather than the new standard version.

This makes no sense to me. The only Hagah who wears an entirely new mask is Gaaki. You can’t misinterpret a Faxon as a Mask of Growth.

2 Likes

Canon-wise I see no problem. Power isn’t conditioned by mask shape (which I think it was a mistake, but I won’t retcon the history). A Kanohi Hau could look like a pin axle or a Garai like a handle. So yeah, it has a lot of sense that can exist variations of all masks.

But the introduction of new shapes for know masks just for the sake of having new shapes, complicate the contests. It’s like having a Toa with a different color scheme that normal for their element. In story, could a fire Toa had changed or painted all his armor to white because he though it was a cool color (pun intended)? Sure. Does it make sense from a storytelling perspective with parameters that are common and easy to understand? No really.

I’m not sure if this quite makes sense. Pohatu’s Kakama is identical to the ones that the Turaga took as spares when they left Metru Nui, yet they were forged tens of thousands of years apart. The same goes for all of the Toa Mata’s Kanohi.

Metru Nui masks seem to be the original rule, not the exception.

Actually, you can, because Bomonga’s mask isn’t Faxon-shaped. Unless we get confirmation from Greg that Bomonga’s mask is indeed Faxon-shaped, it’s officially in the shape of a mask with an unknown power, and anyone unfamiliar with the fact that the Hagah’s masks are all wrong-shaped might assume that this new shape is the standard for the Mask of Growth.

3 Likes

Which basically confirms that those 18 masks were the norm in Metru Nui. Perhaps they did commissions like Dume did with the Vahi but otherwise it seems like that was very uncommon.

Its not a faxon, though.

Yes, the 3d modeler made it to be a variant faxon but as far as canon is concerened it isn’t a faxon.

EDIT:

This is further supported in that the great version of the 01 turaga masks are repeated for both the Mahritoran and Voyatoran.

1 Like

2) They looked identical because that is all that we had to work with. I do think the inorganic forms looked different, but that’s just me.

Here, it’s not about variant, but at least there was Greg’s different opinion about Inika’s organic and inorganic Kanohi.

maybe… at least we don’t have to use Jaller’s calix(too big, monkey-like, almost impossible to paint) for Varian.

I always assumed that Varian moc would have a 3d printed Calix that fit a Mata/Metru head, but with the same overall design than Jaller one (maybe without the mouth hole)

3 Likes

It could be modified to use an axle connection so that it could be 3d printed and painted more easily. It would be pretty simple to do since there is a calix model already.
Wait, actually I just checked. The biopack model has no thickness, so it would have to be done with the bionicle heroes model which is a lot less detailed.

3 Likes

It’s been tried but I’m not a fan of it. Masks by @Vahki6

6 Likes

I think replacing the human-mouth with a more abstract shape is the way to go.

2 Likes

At that point, might as well use KhingK’s. It’s basically a thinner Calix with a circular mouth.

13 Likes

Except greg has stated that the inika mask has the same shape regardless of organic or inorganic. The difference is the material they are made from. With this in mind I think KanohiReqi’s suggestions is truly the only compromise here.

Since the quote provided by RiderDB seems to be a forgetcon