BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I can say the same thing about Tuyet:

How is that any different?

A sword that isn’t a Barbed Broadsword… isn’t a Barbed Broadsword, and an axe… isn’t a barbed broadsword. The only difference is that one is more similar to a Barbed Broadsword, but following that train of thought, an axe is more similar to a BB than, say, a Cordak Blaster. The point is that none of them are a BB, and a 3d print isn’t the Mazeka mask

Some people proposed having TTV ask for clarification on the BB when they sent in the winning Hagah, but I’m not sure if they ever did.
But I can almost guarantee his answer would be “I dunno” or “I don’t remember”, or “…”. Greg is a Ko-Matoran confirmed.

4 Likes

Because specifically for Nidhiki its been confirmed by greg that his volitak is standard shape because Mazekas volitak is. The breathing tube on Mazeka was not an addition given to him by the oomn and Mazeka’s is identical to Nuparu’s volitak without the hose and visor pieces which ergo makes the Volitak piece standard shape.

Exactly. An axe and a non-barbed sword are both equally wrong, in the sense that neither matches the description of the Barbed Broadsword, and they should not be treated differently.

[EDIT: This comment has been drastically altered from the original because the original implied an argument that I didn’t mean to make]

This discussion has been had. The official stance is that they won’t ask him because it’s more than likely Greg will just say “I dunno” because it’s a small detail from a story he wrote probably about 14 years ago now

2 Likes

Ok that’s good to know.

Side note, should a new thread be opened at 10,000 posts? (Just spitballing here, not saying we have to)
My reasoning is that 10,000 posts is a lot to read as it is and we’ll probably get to 20,000 by the start of a second round of contests. That’s a lot to read to catch up

The 2016 Discussion topic got past 30,000 posts before it had to be shut down due to size:

(And then the replacement is relatively tiny anyways, due to the cancellation of G2)

That number doesn’t get any smaller just because it’s split over multiple topics.

5 Likes

Makes it easier to find posts you know to be more recent, though.

3 Likes

That’s true, I suppose.

Though it can also make it harder, if you don’t know what topic it’s in. For example, during all the discussion about the Hagah, I’d often have to go through two or three topics before I found the quote I was looking for, because I didn’t know which of the similar topics it was in.

If there’s going to be a second topic, it should be at an important point in the contests in general. Perhaps a new “Second List Discussion Topic”, if/when we get there.

3 Likes

Or maybe a new topic after tuyet’s contest finishes, and perhaps discourage discussion about post-tuyet contests until after this one, just so pertinent discussions can be had on the new topic.

3 Likes

No one has to read them to participate in the contests, it’s only if they wish to offer input/feedback.

We can consider it, but a new topic isn’t in the cards for the time being.

11 Likes

It would make sense to make a new topic when we get to the 2nd list, though.

Why would it?

1 Like

As someone largely involved in this topic, I feel keeping everything in one topic (unless it gets too big for the message boards*) makes things easier, since you can just use the search feature to find stuff. The only separate topic I would say we need is for a compendium of relevant Greg Quotes, like what we have for Tuyet.

*and at the rate we’re going, of about 2500 posts per contest, we should hit 30000 posts (the number that shut down the Bionicle 2016 topic) right around the last contest of this list.

In terms of making specific discussion easier to find, perhaps the posts where you ask questions that generate discussion could be linked to in the OP? For example:

Discussion about Tuyet’s sword, Nui Stone, and re-entering old contest entries: post 6918
Discussion about separating entries by Prime Tuyet, DM Tuyet, or both: post 7945

Both posts have an amount of relevant discussion afterward, plus several direct replies.

As for having a separate topic for list 2, I do think it would be a good idea. For one, this topic may hit 30000 posts by then. Two, if someone’s looking for a post/discussion about one of the list 2 characters, they don’t have to search through all the posts about the list one characters (since the search function starts with the earliest posts).

3 Likes

It’s possible to sort by Latest Post.

So another piece of Nidhiki lore, he wasn’t on Lhikan’s 2nd team (before the Mangai):
*"

1. How long had Lhikan and Nidikhi known each other before they were called to Metru Nui to fight the Kanohi Dragon?
  1. There’s no evidence they knew each other at all prior to that, I don’t think."*
    Greg also said this about the armor, but it’s a Probably answer:
    *"4. Was Nidikhi’s armor like Lhikan’s (you know, Toa Metru-like)?
  1. Probably"* Official Greg Discussion | Page 238

Probably not, also, i was reading Birth Of A Dark Hunter and i saw that Nidhiki was described to have scarred and pitted Emerald armor from countless battles. Sort of like Helryx on her Mask of Psychometry, here’s a great example from Bukkey.

9 Likes

Yeah I absolutely love that kind of damage, turning it up on my renders of MOCs. Here’s an example on a Nidhiki render:

As for the armor, I personally go for a Metru meets Krakua with a unique look.
(I know this is dual colored, I’ll explain why my position changed in the full MOC page)

1 Like

This is extremely vague on multiple levels. As you mentioned, the answer was “probably”.

But even if Greg gave a definite “yes”, would would it even mean for Nidhiki’s armour to be “like” Lhikan’s? A colour-swapped clone build? Similar shaping? Reuse of some parts but not others?

This is basically just a more-specific version of the discussion about this quote:

6 Likes

The more I prototype a Nidhiki for this contest, the more I appreciate the open-endedness of the quotes. Like I’m a fan of the Metru torso, but having custom arm attachment points that don’t strain the parts is honestly great.
As for what parts it refers to, my interpretation is the overlayed armor, like the shoulders and feet. However the quotes could mean anything since its open ends so you could have like the Metru feet and still say the quotes valid

Also side note, for Tuyet, if we decide to have the BB included what do you guys think of having a sword contest with the mask? That way a design could set theirs as a placeholder, instead of being disqualified for not having one. Of course the consent rules would be the same for the sword and mask.

1 Like

@Willess12 basically summed up what my reasoning is.