BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I know some of these people have changed their stance, but the argument has absolutely been made.

2 Likes

Which side are you on? Does the compromise ensure you’ll have entries you can vote for?

The semantics of why the rule is in place shouldn’t matter IMO. It’s not like the ruleset is being canonized, it’s just the result of the contest that is.

Ah, thanks, missed those. Would be interested to hear how they feel now.

2 Likes

To be honest, I don’t know.

Oh yeah, for sure. Either way, I intend to vote for entries with a Barbed Broadsword.

It matters to me. That’s why I’m still here, despite the fact that either proposed rule will allow for my preferred option. Even though the semantics of this discussion probably won’t matter for the final result of the contest, I want to make sure this contest is done right, for the sake of any future discussions where the semantics do matter.

I currently think the sword should either be mandated or optional with the caveat that there is no other permissible tool. I think MOCists and artists will understand that not depicting the sword will likely harm their chances in the polls.

3 Likes

Allowing a 3d mask for Nidhiki, something that has strong evidence of it contradicting canon, is the same as allowing an Axe-wielding Tuyet, something that has strong evidence of it contradicting canon.

Let me state this plainly:

I’m not arguing about whether Tuyet has a sword.

That argument has been had. I doubt I can convince you she 100% did, and I doubt you can convince me it’s still uncertain.

What I’m arguing is whether or not it should be required in this contest. So pointing out “well, she never wielded it, only Makuta disguised as her in Dark Mirror wielded it” is pointless. I know that. You know that. We both made our points earlier in this topic.

And I say it’s pedantic, because I didn’t even say it as a point. The reason I highlighted that IF is that my statement was “IF the rules are X, then that means the official stance is Y.” You’re arguing against the Y, which isn’t even something I said as an argument.

If the 3D mask were a Volitak variant, it wouldn’t contradict canon explicity. Yes, there is very strong evidence that it’s the same shape as Mazeka’s, but a variant of the same mask is drastically different from allowing a completely different style weapon for Tuyet other than a Broadsword.

It would be more correct to compare the 3D variant volitak to other swords that are not barbed broadswords.

That we agree on. So again, what’s wrong with the compromise that’s been proposed?

I’ve got a question. Has anyone asked Greg if the Barbed Broadsword is used by Prime Tuyet? If so what answer did he give? If not then why haven’t we?

2 Likes

For the purpose of this conversation, this comparison seems wrong. A variant Volitak is still a Volitak, but a non-barbed sword can’t be the Barbed Broadsword.

Either a weapon is a barbed broadsword or it’s not. A non-barbed sword is exactly as wrong as an axe, however wrong that may be. There’s no “close enough”.

Just because something is “more correct” doesn’t mean it isn’t wrong. I’m just trying to point out the major category error being made. As you said, a variant Volitak is still a Volitak, but Willess is saying that allowing that is the same as allowing an axe for Tuyet, which is far different from any sword, let alone the barbed broadsword. That makes absolutely no sense.

I can say the same thing about Tuyet:

How is that any different?

A sword that isn’t a Barbed Broadsword… isn’t a Barbed Broadsword, and an axe… isn’t a barbed broadsword. The only difference is that one is more similar to a Barbed Broadsword, but following that train of thought, an axe is more similar to a BB than, say, a Cordak Blaster. The point is that none of them are a BB, and a 3d print isn’t the Mazeka mask

Some people proposed having TTV ask for clarification on the BB when they sent in the winning Hagah, but I’m not sure if they ever did.
But I can almost guarantee his answer would be “I dunno” or “I don’t remember”, or “…”. Greg is a Ko-Matoran confirmed.

4 Likes

Because specifically for Nidhiki its been confirmed by greg that his volitak is standard shape because Mazekas volitak is. The breathing tube on Mazeka was not an addition given to him by the oomn and Mazeka’s is identical to Nuparu’s volitak without the hose and visor pieces which ergo makes the Volitak piece standard shape.

Exactly. An axe and a non-barbed sword are both equally wrong, in the sense that neither matches the description of the Barbed Broadsword, and they should not be treated differently.

[EDIT: This comment has been drastically altered from the original because the original implied an argument that I didn’t mean to make]

This discussion has been had. The official stance is that they won’t ask him because it’s more than likely Greg will just say “I dunno” because it’s a small detail from a story he wrote probably about 14 years ago now

2 Likes

Ok that’s good to know.

Side note, should a new thread be opened at 10,000 posts? (Just spitballing here, not saying we have to)
My reasoning is that 10,000 posts is a lot to read as it is and we’ll probably get to 20,000 by the start of a second round of contests. That’s a lot to read to catch up

The 2016 Discussion topic got past 30,000 posts before it had to be shut down due to size:

(And then the replacement is relatively tiny anyways, due to the cancellation of G2)

That number doesn’t get any smaller just because it’s split over multiple topics.

5 Likes

Makes it easier to find posts you know to be more recent, though.

3 Likes

That’s true, I suppose.

Though it can also make it harder, if you don’t know what topic it’s in. For example, during all the discussion about the Hagah, I’d often have to go through two or three topics before I found the quote I was looking for, because I didn’t know which of the similar topics it was in.

If there’s going to be a second topic, it should be at an important point in the contests in general. Perhaps a new “Second List Discussion Topic”, if/when we get there.

3 Likes

Or maybe a new topic after tuyet’s contest finishes, and perhaps discourage discussion about post-tuyet contests until after this one, just so pertinent discussions can be had on the new topic.

3 Likes

No one has to read them to participate in the contests, it’s only if they wish to offer input/feedback.

We can consider it, but a new topic isn’t in the cards for the time being.

11 Likes

It would make sense to make a new topic when we get to the 2nd list, though.