BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

But why though.

The whole point of these contests is getting rid of ambiguity. You don’t see people arguing that the Hagah should be drawn in greyscale to keep their armour colours ambiguous.

3 Likes

If this is an issue, then how will we deal with the Yesterday Quest Toa? Any weapon we give them will only be because “Greg didn’t say they don’t have this weapon”.

If we can agree that Dark Mirror Tuyet’s Barbed Broadsword has no effect on Prime Tuyet’s Toa Tool, then she is in the same boat as the Yesterday Quest team, in the sense that there is no canon indication of her tool whatsoever.

1 Like

my guy, the whole point is that we don’t agree

that’s why we compromise

1 Like

To me it’s less about whether prime Tuyet had a different primary weapon and more about the fact that she was seemingly never depicted holding the broadsword in canon materials, indicating to me she didn’t usually carry it with her. That’s why I think making the sword optional and banning other weapons makes sense. I get wanting the sword canonized to add pictures to BS01, but the sword doesn’t seem to be as important to Tuyet as other tools are to other Toa. I’d argue her primary tool in canon materials is the Nui stone anyway.

But I’m not planning to enter and a swordless Tuyet wouldn’t win anyway, so I don’t really care too much how the rules end up. This is just what makes sense to me.

3 Likes

Can we, though? Hasn’t it been shown by others here before that the Toa in both universes generally have the same Toa tools? I’m not saying that’s definitive proof that Tuyet Prime had the Broadsword, but it’s certainly strong evidence that if the sword was her tool in the AU, it probably was as well in the prime universe. But again, the question is whether it was her weapon at all in the AU, which isn’t clear either.

1 Like

I mean I didn’t have a huge argument with half the discord community and Eljay about it or anything over it… which resulted in the aforementioned clarification.

Since the clarification didn’t result in a change of the status quo and I lost the argument because of several Greg quotes its safe to assume its standard shape. Because I argued against standard shape.

And just to be extra clear one of the quotes literally specified that Mazeka’s was standard shape. I’d pull up all the quotes for you but I’m afraid I didn’t save them. But give me sometime and I may find some of them.

what I don’t think people get is that there are two possible ways to interpret canon:

Tuyet could have any weapon

Tuyet must have the barbed broadsword

The point of having the sword be optional, but no other weapon allowed is that it’s a middle ground between that extreme. It’s a compromise. I really don’t get why it’s so hard to understand

6 Likes

I just want to make sure I’m understanding this correctly:

You’re saying that Prime Tuyet’s tool should canonically be the same as Dark Mirror Tuyet’s (Barbed Broadsword), but it still shouldn’t be mandated because we never explicitly saw her carrying it?

I understand it, but I don’t agree with it because the two extremes are the only stances that have any kind of canon backing.

1 Like

yes and they’re the only two options that could be canon under the compromise, so what is the issue?

2 Likes

My issue is that it 's not a compromise; it completely excludes the possibility of Tuyet having any other tool.

that’s literally why it’s a compromise.

1 Like

No, that’s not an accurate comparison. Allowing a 3d print that’s different from the official piece is the same as allowing an axe on Tuyet. Allowing no mask or an obscured mask, but mandating the Mazeka mask if its shown, is the same as allowing no weapon but mandating the BB if she has one, and mandating the Mazeka mask (which TTV has said they plan to do) is comparable to mandating the sword on Tuyet.

Please, don’t make this argument more confusing than it needs to be by taking a quote out of context just to nitpick it. That isn’t helping anyone.

I said:

Would it be more correct to say “…Dark mirror Makuta disguised as Tuyet wielding a BB…”? Yes. Is that irrelevant to the point I’m making? Also yes.

To be clear, I’m not trying to minimize your argument, or say that one side was definitely right or wrong. I’m simply saying that the argument has been had. Like I said, past me also argued against standard shape.

2 Likes

I don’t see the need to canonize what her prime tool was, honestly. I personally believe it’s the broadsword but I understand some people’s arguments against it. I’d rather at least give the option of leaving it vague.

The goal is to let voters choose which “extreme” they want.

2 Likes

Is it though?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying. From my understanding, you agree that there is a canon argument for the sword definitely being Tuyet’s tool, but also that there is an argument for it being anything. These are the two extremes.

So your “compromise” is to completely exclude the second option?

A compromise would be to allow any tool, since that still includes the Barbed Broadsword.

Maybe I’ve missed it, but I haven’t seen anyone advocating for allowing any tool. The people who don’t like the sword seem content with the compromise. If they’re happy with it I don’t see what the problem is.

2 Likes

the compromise is to allow to either have the sword or to keep it unknown, because I highly doubt anyone on the sword side would be okay with:

It’s a wheighted compromise, but it’s a functional one

2 Likes

Allowing a 3d print of a variant Volitak would be the same as allowing a completely different weapon from the Broadsword? Again, that’s apples to oranges. Not sure how you aren’t seeing it.

What’s not helping anyone is refusing any compromise offered to you.

The if statement about the axe doesn’t change whether or not DM Tuyet wielded the Broadsword. Her supposedly wielding it in the DM AU is simply the reasoning an axe wouldn’t be allowed. But again, she was never shown to.

It’s not irrelevant to the point I and others have been making, so it appears we’re not on the same page.

2 Likes

And anyone on the “allow any tool side” wouldn’t be okay with mandating the sword. There’s really no compromise here because the sides are complete opposites.

However, I would also like to say that @toaskello 's stance is compelling, and I’m sure you’ll agree with it:

Ultimately, this would result in the same compromise you are proposing, just for a different reason; the sword would be the only allowed tool because we would recognize it as being her canon tool, but it wouldn’t be mandated because we never actually saw her wield it in-story.

It’s really just a semantic difference between this compromise and yours, and they result in the exact same ruleset, but that difference still matters to me.

Ok, I’m just a bit touchy on the Nidhiki’s Volitak because the argument was blown out of proportion. Anyhow here is a list I found on the subject but I’m not sure it was every quote presented:

2 Likes

A sneaky way to make a Volitak sort of look like a Kualsi for Nidhiki
Nidhiki_Set.PNG

(couldn’t find the mask maker)
Thing3863851resize