BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

How will color restrictions work with the Yesterday questers? I mean, Chiara as a Toa of lightning is supposed to be blue and white. The MOC I’m making for the contest uses violet and lavender, as sort of a blue and white color scheme that pays tribute to the purple Voriki. Could I use violet and lavender as they are close enough to blue and white respectively for them not to be against canon, or will the colors be restricted to the ones that are already in Bionicle, like dark blue, regular blue, medium blue, regular white and very light bluish grey?

By the way, instead of having three Toa contests one after another I’d like to have all the Yesterday Quest in a single contest like the Hagah, with three simultaneous MOC contests for each one and a single artwork showing the winning MOCs with Gelu on their trip to Bota Magna.

2 Likes

Violet and lavender seems pretty ambitious. Will this be in Stud.io? You could do Dark Blue-Violet and White if that’s the case.

2 Likes

Obviously I’m not with TTV, so I can’t give an “official” answer, but for the purpose of discussion, I would say that any shade should be allowed. Nowhere is it stated that the colours of Bionicle characters are restricted only to those that have been used in official sets.

I do suspect, though, that entries with those colours will be more popular, since they will require far less painting.

I assume you’re talking about the Lego colours Violet and Lavender, right?

imageimage

I could easily see Violet as a shade of blue.

I’m a little less certain about Lavender as a shade of white, though I also don’t know how to objectively determine what “counts” as white and what doesn’t.

Do you have any WIP images with the colour scheme that you’d be willing to share?

4 Likes

Not to derail this thread entirely, but I can see one argument for making a new thread for every competition. That being: I don’t know when or what the next competition is. I’m seeing a lot of argument about what should be allowed, which makes me suspect that even if I used the search function, I would have to go through all the chaff of debate in order to find the post announcing This Or That competition is open.

1 Like

That be anyone’s guess.

Tuyet.
https://biosector01.com/wiki/Tuyet

1 Like

This already happens. Although each character and their potential rules are discussed at length here, each contest gets its own topic announcing the finalized ruleset and the opening of the entry period once the contest begins:

The start of each contest is also announced on TTV’s YouTube channel.

4 Likes

Ah. Thank you for this information. I withdraw my complaint.

5 Likes

While I do like this idea, I’m not sure how practical it is to host three contests simultaneously, each with different rules. It worked all right for the Hagah (though a rule-breaking Bomonga did slip through) because they were all pretty much the same – the only “unique” rule was Pouks’ mask.

4 Likes

Right now, that is undecided. While it wouldn’t be restricted to specifically those two colors only, entries will still probably have to include at least one of them to qualify as a Toa of Lightning, etc. We haven’t quite gotten that far yet.

Nope! There is no good reason to do that in the face of the stress of running three individual contests side-by-side. These characters are part of a task force, not even a proper Toa Team. They aren’t from the same place, they don’t know each other, and there is no reason why we wouldn’t treat them individually. We will not run them side-by-side.

14 Likes

I’m not so sure the rules would really be all that different. For each Toa, we are given a two-tone colour scheme, and that’s about it. The only other known factor is Chiara’s mask, but that’s not super complicated to specify. It might not even be necessary for the MOC portion at all, if placeholder masks are allowed.

Also, the Hagah :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

The interesting thing is if a Matoran like Ahkmou became a Toa, he’d be the only Toa in universe to be naturally three-toned. However that we haven’t seen a three-toned Matoran off of Mata Nui so this might be a unique thing to them.

Edit: Turns out this is a legitimate possibility. Nuparu decided to not color his shoes while on Metru Nui:
Nuparu_CGI
So there is a chance that there’s a three-toned Toa in existance. Now the question is, is Nidhiki or Tuyet one of these? So either 3 shades of Green or 3 shades of Blue.

2 Likes

Why’s that?

Maybe I’m misunderstanding something…

2 Likes

Hey no worries. So to start off I’m working on a theory to explain this further, but every non mutated, modified or non-Hagah Toa and Matoran have 2 colors to their color scheme (Mata Nui is weird as they changed their armor, if you look at them when they’re on Metru Nui they all stick to the normal 2 colors).

That’s what I thought until I saw Metru-Nuparu. He single handedly confirmed that this wasn’t just Mata Nui being weird, but an actual thing that can happen to Matoran and by association, Toa.

The only thing is he’s the only one I could find. Even Mazeka was modified so he doesn’t count. So for now take is as just a theory until I can find more evidence.

So should we consider Mahri nui Matoran to be mutated or should we just consider their “rebuilding” to be canceled?
In case of Dekar and Defilak.

It can affect the ‘metallic theory’.

1 Like

The Mata have 3 colors not counting the gears…

Technically they were both. As we see with the Voya Nui Resistance Team and the Voyatoran, the weapons they carry are from Karzahni, while the silver chest armor they gain in Mahri Nui is from the mutation. Dekar and Defilak had the damage and mutilation reverted but got a silver chestpiece out of it. Now Mazeka, I’ve gotta look into why his mask is silver. Part of me is thinking it’s painted or a situation like Lhikan’s mask, where they didn’t use Grey but intended it to be the same. I’d have to ask Greg about that.

Well technically. As we know from that Greg quote that confirmed Nidhiki’s colors, Matau and Lewa are both considered not “dual colored”. This would suggest that the grey and black parts on Toa are not considered a color in that regard. I theorized them as Under Armor. Black is the Under Armor, similar to chainmail and Grey is the base mechanical parts. This is why every Toa has a grey colored head. Even Helryxs art shows her with a grey head.

Also Toa of Stone are unique in the sense that they are already using Grey and Black. But for them it’s actual Armor, as trying to claim evey Toa of Stone, Sonics and Gravity are partially or fully unarmored would be insane.

Also the parts I’m referring to are the Hands, shoulder connectors, thighs, ankles, neck and lower torso. These are the Under Armor/unarmored pieces

1 Like

“Oh, I’ve been crazy for years. Ask anyone.” Toa Inika Nuparu

5 Likes

And this right here is why canon can’t just be the written word and I know this isn’t the only contradiction with the physical models(The most obivous example being Miserix green Dragon mode despite being red in the moc. Which makes me wonder if Greg is color blind at times) but we can very easily from Lewa see that he is dual-colored. He is Lime and green if going by what you said:

And if going exactly by what Greg said Iruini would be silver by that logic and Lhikan yellow(Which I theorize as Greg just referring to the movie model. Similarly to how dumes movie model appears in the comics).

EDIT: I can see Phantoka single colored because he is only lime if you write the grey and silver of as just armor

Yes Lime and Green are shades of Green to Greg. I literally fought for Nidhiki to be mono-color over this and lost. Lime isn’t considered a different color to Greg and the contest.

I don’t know enough about the Lhikan argument right now, but as for Iruini he responded to that comment saying he got Iruini and Norik confused.

*"2. Several places, I’ve seen you say that Norik is Gold/Red and Iruini Silver/Green, when Norik is actually Silver/Red and Iruini Gold/Green. Was that just by mistake, or is that how they’re supposed look like?

1. No, just my mistake. I don’t have the sets and so am going based on my own faulty memory."*
    Official Greg Discussion | Page 100

EDIT: To clarify for why lime isn’t a separate color, lime is under the umbrella of “Emerald”. Emerald is Lime, Mata Green, Metru Green and possibly Sand Green. This is because of the characters described as Emerald are Lewa Mata, Matau, Zaktan, Karzahni and Nidhiki.

3 Likes