BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Can’t believe we’re down to discussing dictionary definitions. Some people don’t believe it is 100% definitive that Tuyet carried the barbed broadsword. Due to that, we should make it optional. I believe any entry that lacks it will underperform in the polls, but the community will be given the chance to decide.

12 Likes

There’s always some people who will disagree with anything. Some people didn’t believe the other Hagah masks were “wrong-shaped” like Norik, just because the person asking didn’t specify Iruini when they didn’t need to. Some people still don’t believe that Nidhiki’s Volitak is shaped like Mazeka’s, but currently that’s going to be mandated. Some people don’t believe anything stated by Greg after the story ended is canon.

Meanwhile, it is 100% definitive that she had a Barbed Broadsword, so it should be what is canonized.

9 Likes

I would be all for a BBS mandate, the only reason I suggest an option is because oh no;

Therefore…

An option to neglect the BBS is the most canonically accurate solution to this futile debacle due to the obnoxious ambiguity. Will she ultimately be canonized with the sword? well yea. But if our only concrete evidence of Tuyet wielding a sword in the main universe is an ambiguous quote with the word slashing, it’s just a battle of interpretations I really do not want to get caught up in this argument anymore than I already have why am I still typing

You know what

I actually don’t care at all. Either way she’s gonna end up with a Barbed Broadsword.

Very much agreed.

6 Likes

Completely agree, I’m really only arguing because I want everyone to get the opportunity to vote for something they want (as long as it’s canon-compliant, which both a Tuyet with and without a sword would be).

3 Likes

And I’m only arguing because I don’t know why anyone would want an option to not canonize what her sword looks like.

it’s the whole point to these contests. No one ever argued that Helryx should be allowed to not have her mace, or that the Hagah should be allowed not to have spears.

We’re only getting one Tuyet contest. This is our only opportunity to get an appearance for her weapon. Why does anyone want an option to not do that?

(Unless you’ve got a BB design you really like and don’t want it decanonized, maybe…)

2 Likes

Not going to go over this again.

Is it? Couldn’t people hold a weapon contest at some point in the future if they really wanted to? It’s been done before.

Well, it’s possible. We’d need Greg for it to be canon, though. But maybe once the character contests end in 2080… We start with the Staff of Artakha! (Because seriously, we really need to see that legendary thing)

Go over what again? No one has given a reason why not canonizing the sword is a good thing, or why it’s something people want so badly to be able to do.

1 Like

Alright, I’m going to guess you’ll disagree with any answer I’d give you so how’s this:
You’re going to win. Tuyet is going to be canonized with a sword whether it’s mandated or not because that’s what the majority wants. Does it really matter if you understand why some people don’t want that? Let them enter and vote for canon-compliant entries they’re happier with. It’s no difference to you. Vote for what you want and let others do the same as long as it’s canon-compliant.

1 Like

Because I care.

Because I like the canon contests, and I like being able to canonize appearances for these characters.

Because I want to see Tuyet: mask, sword, Nui Stone, the whole deal, all canonized in one cool art.

And I don’t want a scenario where one moccist or artist who doesn’t like the Barbed Broadsword for whatever reason, gets to rob us of any chance of ever seeing it, seeing Tuyet wield it.

I’m not saying this to convince you of anything. I doubt it will.

But that is why I have been arguing, and will continue to argue, for the sword to be mandated.

2 Likes

Great! Vote for that.

Um, not sure I follow. One person doesn’t decide the winner. If the winning Tuyet entry has no sword (again, not going to happen) it’s almost certainly because more than half of the people voted they were okay with it, as per the voting system.

1 Like

This was one of the arguments that is why we have a rule stipulating that any 3D printed pieces be available for free download when the entry is submitted. It avoids this issue, and further we have yet to see anyone do this, despite the opportunity.

I’m not sure if you’re trying to argue against 3D printed pieces, but we’re not excluding a massive and growing part of the community. The place 3D printed parts are in is very comfortable and has been working very well. Again, the canon representation is the art.

3 Likes

I’m not arguing against 3d printed parts, I just think mandating a file to allow for parts to be accessible for free just to have them changed by the art portion for a new piece without a file or physical model. Seems like an oversight when considering why a file mandating rule exist.

Let me reiterate:

If I need to explain further please elaborate on what you misunderstood

2 Likes

How will color restrictions work with the Yesterday questers? I mean, Chiara as a Toa of lightning is supposed to be blue and white. The MOC I’m making for the contest uses violet and lavender, as sort of a blue and white color scheme that pays tribute to the purple Voriki. Could I use violet and lavender as they are close enough to blue and white respectively for them not to be against canon, or will the colors be restricted to the ones that are already in Bionicle, like dark blue, regular blue, medium blue, regular white and very light bluish grey?

By the way, instead of having three Toa contests one after another I’d like to have all the Yesterday Quest in a single contest like the Hagah, with three simultaneous MOC contests for each one and a single artwork showing the winning MOCs with Gelu on their trip to Bota Magna.

2 Likes

Violet and lavender seems pretty ambitious. Will this be in Stud.io? You could do Dark Blue-Violet and White if that’s the case.

2 Likes

Obviously I’m not with TTV, so I can’t give an “official” answer, but for the purpose of discussion, I would say that any shade should be allowed. Nowhere is it stated that the colours of Bionicle characters are restricted only to those that have been used in official sets.

I do suspect, though, that entries with those colours will be more popular, since they will require far less painting.

I assume you’re talking about the Lego colours Violet and Lavender, right?

imageimage

I could easily see Violet as a shade of blue.

I’m a little less certain about Lavender as a shade of white, though I also don’t know how to objectively determine what “counts” as white and what doesn’t.

Do you have any WIP images with the colour scheme that you’d be willing to share?

4 Likes

Not to derail this thread entirely, but I can see one argument for making a new thread for every competition. That being: I don’t know when or what the next competition is. I’m seeing a lot of argument about what should be allowed, which makes me suspect that even if I used the search function, I would have to go through all the chaff of debate in order to find the post announcing This Or That competition is open.

1 Like

That be anyone’s guess.

Tuyet.
https://biosector01.com/wiki/Tuyet

1 Like

This already happens. Although each character and their potential rules are discussed at length here, each contest gets its own topic announcing the finalized ruleset and the opening of the entry period once the contest begins:

The start of each contest is also announced on TTV’s YouTube channel.

4 Likes

Ah. Thank you for this information. I withdraw my complaint.

5 Likes

While I do like this idea, I’m not sure how practical it is to host three contests simultaneously, each with different rules. It worked all right for the Hagah (though a rule-breaking Bomonga did slip through) because they were all pretty much the same – the only “unique” rule was Pouks’ mask.

4 Likes