BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

That’s a good point, and I’ll admit the Staff of Light example never occured to me. We also have

• Axonn with an axe in The Kingdom,
  • Bomonga and Kualus’ spears in Dark Mirror,
  • Kopaka’s sword in Dark mirror
  • Onua’s claws (because he’s still a mata) in Dark mirror.

The only exception is the axe Pohatu has, which is grabbed off a wall, by a character whose weapons are already known (and on his feet). Edit: and the hammer mentioned by @Mechronus, surprised no one has brought that up yet. But Alteridax fights different, and unlike our Teri, isn’t afraid to get his hands dirty.

Ah, Makuta , thought Teridax. We are the same being in different universes, but I am not you. You’re a plotter … a schemer … not wanting to get your claws dirty, if you can avoid it. You would think of all sorts of ways to fight the Takanuva from a distance … all of which would fail.
Teridax unlimbered his war hammer. You would never think of doing this.

But unlike Tuyet, Teri’s weapon was known, so Greg was using the serial to show a different possibility. Unlike Dark Mirror, where he said he was taking the opportunity to reveal Tuyet’s Toa tool.

4 Likes

-BC1 (yes I know greg didn’t write it)

Way I see it, there’s no reason not to mandate the Barbed Broadsword. We’ve mandated the weapons in every other contest.

5 Likes

So…

Clearly there’s no concrete evidence either way about the sword, although it’s strongly implied that she wielded the BBS in the main universe.

What exactly is the issue with just calling it a day and making the sword optional? It definitely seems to be the best canon-compliant solution here.

I guarantee 90% of the entries or more will have a BBS anyway but whatever

5 Likes

Wait isn’t that cutting? To cut something is to reduce it to a smaller size, so by the water cutting through the Stone, wouldn’t it be turning it into smaller stones over time?

Yes, but all of the definitions claim cutting has to be done by a sharp object

idk I was thinking the sword could be more of a guideline but not a rule

2 Likes

The fact that a Toa’s Toa Tool is part of their appearance, and these are appearance contests?

What exactly is the issue with following the precedent set by the last three contests and mandating the weapon?

3 Likes

Honestly they should’ve used carve, as water is known to carve canals and channels overtime. But nonetheless I found one definition:

(In the middle)
Personally this seems to be a writer using the wrong word to try and get a concept across. But I do agree that usually it means cut with a sharp object.

Because if the sword is not mandated, then any weapon should be allowed.

Because the weapons for the last three contests had far more explicit confirmation of their canonicity.

1 Like

If it’s an integral part of her appearance, why is she never depicted holding it?
Her primary tool is more accurately the Nui stone, something truly important to her character and something she actually uses. All of the people wanting to mandate the sword are going to get their way anyway, why not just make it optional and let people who don’t like the sword have something to vote for?

My point is that you’ve cherry-picked a definition of “slash” that includes the word “sword” and are using it as clear evidence when that’s not how you’re supposed to use definitions.

I love and hate this community for the exact same reason.

12 Likes

Y’all.

Y’all.

Is there a single MOCist who is actually planning to build Tuyet with a flail or something like that?

I can see the argument for not mandating it, sure, but I mean…I cannot imagine anyone who cares enough about canon to design a moc for TUYET would include a non-BB weapon unless being contrarian was their whole goal.

There’s a lot of debate happening here, and it’s good, it’s drawing out a lot of canon sources, but, like…this is only ever really going to be a problem with mocs that’d (probably, in most cases) have to be Rule 11’d for other reasons.

12 Likes

If Artakha’s warhammer is so important, why was it not mentioned once in the story?

Just like Artakha actually uses that hammer he carried?

3 Likes

Honestly I just screenshoted the Google definition of slash. Along with this, 95% of all uses of the word slash are used for weapons like swords or daggers. I could probably count on my hand the amount of times I’ve seen a hammer or a nunchuck slash something. I see the point you’re trying to make but slashing is a pretty niche thing for melee weapons to do that aren’t swords or daggers.
Edit, forgot Scythes. Can’t forget the Green Traitors weapon
Edit 2: There’s a reason that there’s a Horror genre about guys cutting up people with blades is called “Slasher movies”

1 Like

I didn’t really intend for “slashing” to be such a sticking point. But since it is…

Could it be a “slashing attack” of water? Yes
Can we say one way or the other? Not really. Greg doesn’t usually refer to a ‘slashing attack’ of water, but that doesn’t mean he’s incapable of doing so.

It is, at best, evidence that Greg intended for her to have a sword in that scene. It could be a water slash.

but it doesn’t make much difference with the ten other pieces of proof that she has a BB.

Fun fact: you can just use <small> and get the same result.

4 Likes

I was against mandating that too lol

Gorast’s claws can slash. Zivon claws can slash. Gavla’s talons can slash. Even venom eels can slash. Rahi tails. Kardas’s tail.

Yes, but literally all of those pieces of evidence can be explained away as well. You’re right that she probably had it, but I don’t see the harm in allowing entries that don’t include a weapon she never used. A depiction of Tuyet without her sword doesn’t contradict any canon, let people vote on it.

3 Likes

A depiction of Tuyet with her weapon doesn’t contradict canon either. We’re canonizing her appearance. Let’s make it the whole thing. Tools and all. There is no reason not to mandate the sword.

4 Likes

…right, which is why that’d be allowed too.

I don’t know how you can read these arguments and say there’s no reason. You disagree with the reason, sure, I get that. But nothing’s concrete, so it should be up to voter preference. You get to vote for a Tuyet with a sword, someone else gets to vote for a Tuyet without one. Both are equally canon-compliant.

5 Likes

I don’t know how you can read Greg stating Tuyet’s weapon in a canon story and still think it isn’t concrete.

Why?

Why do you want the option to not canonize what the Barbed Broadsword looks like? That’s what these contests exist for.