BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Zaria’s staff could also split into nunchucks and Chiara’s spear with a harpoon function. Your idea for Orde reminds me of Onua’s hammer from 2015

6 Likes

Their tools didn’t have alternate connection points but they did have alternate purposes - Onewa’s were for climbing and Nokama’s let her do this kind of jet-ski surf thing

5 Likes

Even if the winning model features a multi-purpose weapon, the artwork will almost-certainly require the weapon to be depicted in the “base form” given by Greg, and I don’t think the switching function would be canonized.

There was a similar situation with @WholesomeGadunka 's Artakha:

That doesn’t mean that entries can’t have transforming/multipurpose weapons, but (unless the rules change) the functionality wouldn’t be canonized.

7 Likes

Fair enough I think. Allow mocist the liberty and artist to depict the default form. Just like in artakha contest.

The thing is secondary function tools seem to be quite rare outside of the Toa Nuva (who had their original weapons transformed) and the Toa Metru (who followed Lhikan’s lead) in G1. Every Toa outside of them has used single function tools, so they aren’t as common.

I’m not gonna say they are a unique situation, since that would just be dumb but I will say it’s unlikely that all 3 YQT to have them.

All that being said, I do think however Chiara does. Here’s my idea:

The spear could be thrown into enemies or the ground, where she could use her Lightning to shock the nearby enemies. It’s a fusion of the classic lightning bolt as the tip, a lightning rod center and a Tesla coil. It also allows her to use her element more effectively in combat.

Here’s an example I threw together:

In the end though, unless the art depicts the spear being electrified in the ground, it’s just like theJerminator said:

So to sum it up: I like the idea of secondary function weapons but don’t think it’s common enough for all 3 members to have. I do think Chiara would have a secondary function, as spears are throwing weapons and distance weapons.

7 Likes

Am I understanding this correctly that the Yesterday Quest contests can canonize variant shapes, unlike the Hagah?

Does this also extend to new Kanohi shapes, or just confirming variants? If a Zaria model wins with a completely new shape, would remain as “unknown power”, or would it get a new power assigned to it?

7 Likes

Unless we hear reason as to why not, then yes.

There are some thoughts I’d like to eventually get peoples thoughts on, but we’re too far away from those contests to fully discuss it at length just yet. More to come.

17 Likes

Ok so I’m not so sure about inventing new powers. Like we do have a list of powers without masks, but if we choose a new power it’s needs to be HEAVILY looked over and double checked with lore and Greg.

The thing is though, this basically only applies to Zaria, as Chiara and Orde have a confirmed Volitak and a large following who will vote for Sanok. So whatever is chosen could bring a mask with a new unseen power to the matoran universe.

perhaps the Mask of Sand?

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I’d make that assumption about Orde yet, but that would be pretty sweet. At the end of the day, though, the rules are the same for either of them.

Believe it or not, that’s one of the things that’s confirmed to not be a Kanohi power:

8 Likes

Oh crud did that not have the italics on it? I meant that as a joke, sorry for the confusion.

Honestly though sand as a power does appear in the MU so finding that out when I read the wiki was weird.

True, maybe the Mask of Rebound might work for Orde as well: Kanohi/Other Kanohi - BIONICLEsector01

2 Likes

Tbh I’m totally ok with canonizing new mask powers within reason. Personally, I think we should see more Kanohi based on Kraata powers like the Shelek or Mask of Adaptation.

3 Likes

Before this gets too out of hand, I’ll clarify the thoughts I wanted to get thoughts on.

I actually don’t think canonizing new mask appearances without powers would be terribly popular. That said, the Yesterday Quest Toa are a good opportunity to possibly canonize the appearance for masks that have known powers, but no appearance. Masks that I’m aware of that fit that bill are the Mask of Clairvoyance, Weather Control, Weight Increase, Healing, Freezing, Rahi Control, Growth, the Pehkui, and the Great Kanohi Krill.

Alternatively, some of those are also powers that can be applied to masks with known shapes but no known powers.

What I was tossing around in my head was the possibility of these being suggested/applied/pitched via these characters.

To stress, that’s not what I’m saying we are going to do. This is just something I was thinking about. Any thoughts/perspectives are welcome.

22 Likes

As long as we can have a consent system for the masks of the tyq toa I’m fine with whatever ruling. I’m not the biggest fan of cannonizing new mask shapes through these contest especially in case its uneccessary like in the case of the Hagah. Having 3 of them being unkown shapes without known powers irks me a lot and to me feels like they are referencing past heroes.

For the upcoming Tuyet contest I have no problems with cannonizing a new mask shape as the mask shape serves a proper purpose like the MoC and MoP from the first 2 contests did. The new shapes for the Hagah like the potential new shapes for the tyq toa are just making things confusing and unclear.

With that said I guess the optimal solution for the tyq toa would be consent system for the masks and a power suggestion for new shapes. Because the moccist original intent with the choice of mask and power will be respected. Variants could be made but I think I would prefer known or new shaped masks over variants. If its going to go like with the Hagah were Greg just leaves them ambiguos

4 Likes

It was perfectly acceptable for the Hagah. Personal distaste doesn’t change that.

Did you make a typo here? Because they are referencing past heroes. That’s the point of the Hagah. Just because a mask shape is unknown doesn’t mean it can’t exist in the world.

8 Likes

Yes, it should be aren’t not are.

And this is besides my point. A unkown mask shape can exist but it wouldn’t make its inclusion feel more necessary for that contest or as an addendum to canon just because it can exist.

Let me put it this way. The Hagah mask as it stands for all intents and purposes are referencing some past heroes but because its ambigous as to who those heroes were. From a meta stand point or from an outsider looking in it isn’t apparent they are honoring anyone in particular. Am I saying recanonizing the Hagah masks no, I’m definately not but I am saying that from being contests to just patch out apperances without making to many unecessary addendums as these contest were originally pitched. The ability to use new shapes for the Hagah in retrospect was unecessary. Because it added at least 3 new toa to the list of unknown characters, 3 unknown masks and technically 3 unknown powers, I personally feel like that is a bigger overstep on canonizing new things through these contest than say Arthaka getting to wield a warhammer full time or Helryx being a different shade of blue but maybe that’s just me.

As for the tyq toa they don’t have the exact same issue but since their masks can be anything I feel like the moccist should be allowed to say yes or no to their choice of mask being changed.

Tuyet and Nidhiki would not face the same problem as Nidhiki’s mask is Mazeka’s Volitak in shape and Tuyet’s mask decides a specific power.

Which really is the difference here, Tuyet’s mask very clearly canonizes something that has already been canonized in the past. While the Hagah masks all add new masks to the canon. Because while you can see that Bomonga and Pouks masks are inspired by other masks. It is not canon as of the time of writting this that they are variants therefore they are new shapes with unknown powers and Gaaki’s mask is just straight up a new mask shape for an unknown power. Seeing as this is the case we have essentially invented 3 new masks in canon as we cannot make the claim that any of Gaaki, Bomonga or Pouks mask is a shape of a previously known power because there isn’t anything in canon supporting that claim.

Edit:

I’ll admit Bomonga and Pouks mask can be solved if Greg just said they were variants of the Kakama resp. Faxon but as long as we don’t have confirmation they will be classified as unkown masks with unkown powers. Gaaki’s status will remain the same unless Greg gives it a previously known power.

4 Likes

They don’t have to honor anyone we know in particular.

You don’t have a canon reason to suggest it shouldn’t have been allowed, or to suggest we know all possible Kanohi shapes. Just because you wanted restrictions in that was doesn’t mean they were necessary.

It added three new characters (maybe some Toa, maybe some Turaga) that no one has to know about, just as we don’t know who Iruini, Norik, or Kualus are honoring. And let’s be honest, it added one unknown mask. The other two will need Greg’s say so that it’s made obvious what they are. I don’t know how long that might take, since I know Greg has already been asked. There is nothing wrong with bumping the topic to increase the chance he sees it.

Wasn’t canonized. A picture of him with a hammer he brought with him to the Core Processor was canonized.

Let’s look at the quote:

Q: Is Helryix’s armor Light Blue or Dark Blue?
A: Dark blue

If you looked at Gali, how would you describe her colors?

Ultimately, this is a failure of the question to specify these colors. Helryx’s blue is dark blue to Gali’s secondary color. Not having that clarity, Helryx’s color works without being in contradiction of the quote.

EDIT: Misread a portion of your post, and removed the response.

There was no canon basis to prevent the Hagah from having unknown shapes. If you don’t like it, that’s fine. But that’s gonna chalk up to personal preference, not an inherent flaw with proceedings.

12 Likes

To answer this let’s look at all blue shades used in Bionicle (For the sake of discussion):

From left to right medium blue, transparent medium blue, rubber medium blue, metal blue, blue, rubber blue, rahkshi blue, trans dark blue, dark blue and lastly sand blue.

On this spectrum where do you find mata blue or blue? well somewhere in the middle of the chart, would you still say on a scale from Light to Dark blue that the middle line would be considered dark blue? I personally wouldn’t and here is where my side tangent on this ends.

I still feel like you are confusing my opinion, my preference and how the results of the Hagah contest currently affects canon in its current state so I’m going to reiterate these points seperatly for clarity.

My preferences is probably the easiest to disect: I do think new shapes and variant mask are unecessary or incosequential for the contest and its original intent.

My opinion surrounding masks going forward in the case of the yesterday quest toa is that a consent system should be implemented. Because the mask can be anything it can be a variation, a new shape or a determined shape. Considering this why should we then let artist take away the moccist choice of mask for those Toa?

Finally the Hagah masks effect on canon. Being currently unknown masks they have introduced 3 new powers and 3 new shapes. Because as we know the Hagah masks power differ from their shape with the exception of the Kualsi. This means that those 3 masks represent 3 new masks that can’t be applied to any of the already established known powers until Greg says otherwise. This means that in addition to there being a mask for almost every element, all 42 Makuta powers and the countless of Kanoka there is now 3 unknown mask powers. Judging by this the Hagah mask is “invented canon”(canon material bar visualisation that has been added out of seemingly nowhere as a side effect of these contest) and seeing as these contest weren’t pitched to the community or approved by the community as a resource for us to “invent canon” but to just fill in gaps its an overstep of freedom caused by the people entering these contests that override the agreement/understanding the original poll to start these contest made. Bomonga and Pouks masks as discussed are quite easily fixed through Gregs words but Gaaki’s mask would require Greg having perfect memory of all the mask powers to determine it. Which makes it a question he likely will never answer.

Just to look at a hypothetical, you could provide a list of all mask powers for Greg to pick and choose from but even so the shape of Gaaki’s mask is not guaranted to be the shape for any of the confirmed mask powers according to him. Which essentially boils down to we having at least one case of “invented canon” as a result of these contests.

1 Like

Oh god, not more color pedantism. Just look at the winning artwork, is it not reasonable to call that dark blue? Since mata blue is in the middle, it can be comparatively dark or light. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter that much. The winning model is plenty dark, especially compared to medium blue.

11 Likes

And My opinion is desagree to this.
reason is very simple : We already know Lhikan’s Hau. And that exsist prove “variant masks” are works well in Matoran Universe.
(And remember this: The scope of Akaku and Matatu were NOT original piece of their “Standard” shape. It’s just “Variant that very popular by people”(At least, Scope Matatu had used by Toa Nuju and Matoran Kaji.). Especially about Nuju’s scope, we know who is maker : Matoran Vakama.
Already in this point, there is possible to variant masks are exsit more in MU)

I quote this word: Kanohi shape is a “sign of its power”.

Signs work as long as they can recognize the “meaning”.

On the other hand, I gently agree with this opinion. :wink:
The art contest has great potential (in fact, the Helryx mask had to be changed from the blue Pakari), but for the consent system, MOCer will adopt the system in the first place, or YES or NO if it does. I would be happy if I had the right to choose.

About Helryx and other winner designs

I remember that Lewa is most “young” Toa, and Onua was “old” Toa.
But those “canon” had erased by Greg’s comment soon.
If I now shout “Lewa is Toa Mata’s youngest member and Onua is the oldest! Bring back this into canon!”, I think quite a few people will frown.
Because they was made by Artakha in same time, and that fact is canon now.

Just like such example, The canon is updated from time to time, by Greg’s words (just as the TYQ Toas tool was confirmed in just one sentence the other day).

And now, canon Helryx is that Helryx.
I don’t want to crush the each winner’s victories for “My own like or dislike”.:wink:

9 Likes

You obviously did not read my post. I made it pretty clear here:

that the answer to Eljays question was only for discussion. I have no intent or want to change Helryx color but I bring up a counter point to the claim to the question in the greg quote being vauge. Nothing more to it, noone needs to continue the discussion beyond this point nor does this discussion necesitate any conclusiveness.

I think you misunderstood my argument. my argument isn’t variant masks shouldn’t exist because they are inconsequential or unecessary.

it’s more like “Variant masks or new masks does nothing for the canon if they are not going to be confirmed as those by Greg, they can still exist but their purpose is kinda nulled if they can’t be determined to be those shapes when a moc wins.” and that is why I think the are unecessary or inconsequential because they need a second confirmation to be what they are supposed to be. Unlike say the MoC which could be inferred from the art of Arthaka to be the MoC since he never wore any other mask.

I mean all that could entail is that Onua was built by Arthaka first which would kinda make sense considering Helryx hunch and Lewa was built last if I were to theorize

I echo what I said to KDNX above.

1 Like